Plague holiday blues

kali Wylder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most of us in Central Florida are pretty rebellious about Covid restrictions. When I talk on the phone with my sisters who have left the rural areas we grew up in for cities, and discuss what we did for Thanksgiving and what we plan for Christmas, they get quite agitated. Therefor I think it's best not to share details here.

• Like 2

One holiday event in the smaller ballet studio with proper social distancing, masks required, etc, then just we two for everything else.  If so many corporations and nonprofits are following CDC guidelines and keeping workers apart as much as possible, I feel I should really try to keep up my distancing too. It’s hard because we miss our ballet guild friends - and no nutcracker performance madness every weekend this year, so it’s kind of bleak and tense because that’s also the ballet’s biggest fundraising effort too. 🥺

Had to contact my ex today.  We divorced in 2010 and have not been exactly cordial since then.  But we do share a daughter and she is disabled so for her sake we try to be civil.  He does pay child support and was as good a father as he could be. My banking info has changed since I moved across the country but I was just transferring the money from my old account to my new and he didn't have to change anything until my old bank went and merged with another bank and now the account numbers have changed so it needed to be done.  I decided that an email would be the least painful choice but I wasn't sure I had a good email address for him.  I chose two of the most likely candidates and now I'm waiting to see if I get a mailer-daemon failure notice.

After much angst, I ordered a small tabletop size Christmas tree yesterday.  Even though my house is a maze of boxes, with not much room left to unpack anything, I decided that having a tree would feel better than not.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Most of us in Central Florida are pretty rebellious about Covid restrictions. When I talk on the phone with my sisters who have left the rural areas we grew up in for cities, and discuss what we did for Thanksgiving and what we plan for Christmas, they get quite agitated. Therefor I think it's best not to share details here.

Desantis is a moron.   I hated to come back home from Virginia, where numbers are low because.. SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED.  People are held to wearing masks and people are not as damn entitled as they are in Florida. (my home state)  Old lady yesterday was standing mere inches from me at Publix, NOT WEARING A MASK, (I was because I am so pretty with one on) and the cashier was looking at her and I was giving her the stink eye and I did it, I coughed at her! I did! OMG I am so going to hell. And you know what, she did not MOVE!!!

Edited by Tarina Sewell
old lady was about 60ish..
  • Haha 1

Well, one of the kitties decided to jump from the back of the chair directly into the middle of the freakin tree.  The tree wobbled, but she got out quick enough that it didn't fall over.  There is a definite hollow spot in the middle now -- now sure if we can bend those fake branches around enough to cover it. 

I did find an article that said to spray the tree and skirt with a citrus spray and the kitties will stay away.  Gonna give that a try now.

32 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, one of the kitties decided to jump from the back of the chair directly into the middle of the freakin tree.  The tree wobbled, but she got out quick enough that it didn't fall over.  There is a definite hollow spot in the middle now -- now sure if we can bend those fake branches around enough to cover it. 

I did find an article that said to spray the tree and skirt with a citrus spray and the kitties will stay away.  Gonna give that a try now.

a real tree? You are bringing the outdoors in, the cat thinks it is outside lol. I never had an issue with my cats messing with the trees, but they would sleep under it and that was ok to me... If you keep artificial plants in your home through the year it might desensitize them to when you have a real one? idk.. I do not have a green thumb myself so artificial plants are throughout my house.. lol

I honestly really need this thread. This year has been so incredibly painful. *insert depressing list of depressing things that have happened because I deleted it*

So after all that mess, it’s honestly hard to say what Christmas will bring. I wish I’d put the tree out sooner so the baby cat could have played under it one last time, and now I’m not sure if I can bring myself to put it up at all.. so we’ll see. My partner and I cannot and will not be traveling to see family, due to restrictions placed by our jobs. I’m hoping come the end of the month, I can at least find the heart to light some pine-scented candles and make homemade noodles for the two of us. Maybe an apple pie and eat ice cream until we’re both sick to our stomachs. 

I swear I didn’t go into this meaning to be quite this depressing, though. 

Edited by norajulian
Deleted things to lower the depression value so I don’t bring everyone down with my sinking ship.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

a real tree? You are bringing the outdoors in, the cat thinks it is outside lol. I never had an issue with my cats messing with the trees, but they would sleep under it and that was ok to me... If you keep artificial plants in your home through the year it might desensitize them to when you have a real one? idk.. I do not have a green thumb myself so artificial plants are throughout my house.. lol

No, not a real tree.  A 4 1/2 ft fake table top tree.  I haven't had it up since I got these latest kitties and they both seem very interested in it.  I've had previous cats try to climb Christmas trees - fake and real -- and play with ornaments, etc..   We'll see how things go with this one.  

Personally, I'd not bother except the kids are all going to be home for Christmas this year and my daughter loves the tree and decorations.

• Like 1

I had my annual exam today.  The doctor asked how I was doing and I replied "Meh, it's 2020".  She said "Yeah, it is a rough one."  Then she proceeded to be nice to me and not get on my case too bad about my gained weight and slightly elevated sugars. Told me to be good to myself as much as I could without over-indulging and that we'd revisit the issues next spring.

Better visit than I expected, but my attitude still pretty much sucks.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I don't have a cats now, but they did like to jump in the tree when I did. I never tried the spray.

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I had my annual exam today.  The doctor asked how I was doing and I replied "Meh, it's 2020".  She said "Yeah, it is a rough one."  Then she proceeded to be nice to me and not get on my case too bad about my gained weight and slightly elevated sugars. Told me to be good to myself as much as I could without over-indulging and that we'd revisit the issues next spring.

Better visit than I expected, but my attitude still pretty much sucks.

I go in tomorrow to discuss my elevated liver enzymes and high cholesterol results and the weight gain, a lot very fast.damn cookies......... getting old is not for the timid lol 

I also go in later tomorrow for a brain scan.. that has me a bit worried. ; 0  (cronic headaches and vision changes)

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.