Plague holiday blues

kali Wylder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, here we are again, another holiday season is upon us and this year, we have the added burden of covid burnout in addition to the regular ordeal of surviving mere humanity in the face of holiday expectations.  Last years thread about surviving the holiday season was so important to me.  I don't know how I would have done without the love and support of the people who posted in it.  So yeah, I'd like to see if we can't help each other get through this again this year. The rules are, there are no rules beyond the regular forum guidelines.  The topic is, vent what you need to vent, offer support without judgement if you can and we'll see how it goes.

• Like 8

I'm going to have a Xmas Day Zoom Mukbang with my family 😎 But apart from that, yes, it will probably be rubbish this year. Guess I'll just be lazy and watch lots of films. 

Maybe the people who did Thanksgiving yesterday can report back on how it went...like a rehearsal for Xmas?

• Like 4

We limited Thanksgiving to the three members of the family living at home.  Took a meal of some of the leftovers to my 102 year old mom.  Called the others, both the near and the far. 

We're planning to do Christmas in shifts, assuming nobody's symptomatic.  We'll bring Mom over for Christmas Eve. (None of us are too likely to be contagious. Two are staying at home except for essential shopping and the third works in a largely outdoor setting.)  Then we'll have the other two kids and their spouses over briefly on Christmas Day, and wear masks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I'm going to have a Xmas Day Zoom Mukbang with my family 😎 But apart from that, yes, it will probably be rubbish this year. Guess I'll just be lazy and watch lots of films. 

Maybe the people who did Thanksgiving yesterday can report back on how it went...like a rehearsal for Xmas?

I like your idea of a Zoom mukbang.  I may steal your idea and pitch it to my coworkers who were talking about doing an office holiday zoom party.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I like your idea of a Zoom mukbang.  I may steal your idea and pitch it to my coworkers who were talking about doing an office holiday zoom party.

Please do! I'm sure my work place will do it too...but they will make it cringe xD

ETA: though a supplier company to ours emailed us to ask what we'd prefer, red wine, white wine or beer, and they will mail it to our homes, so we can all have a toast on Zoom one evening the week before Xmas and just chat about non-work stuff. Which is really cool!

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2

Christmas Day 2019 was the last time my mother came over, so this year it will be bittersweet. She really shouldn't have come over last year as she was in a pretty bad way, but made it with some help.

So this year I won't be visiting her Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day will be strange. Having said that, my small family will be over, making five of us in total, and we will hug and celebrate as normal. We are all isolating as much as possible anyway. The turkey is on order.

• Like 5

Hi Kali : )

lets see so far i've been listening to christmas music for quite some time already : ) the wreath is outside my door and inside a few decorations and lights.....i will talk to my family via telephone on that special day : ) i do need to get going on my xmas cards this week.....we received a bunch of snow today so that also helps me get into the holiday spirit.

I'm enjoying the winter/holiday pictures that folks are posting so far and look forward to more of that too.....

Kindest Regards,

Josephine

CHRISTMASCOCKTAILS2020.jpg

• Like 2

Because of work and having to sit with all the new temps coming into the plant, if any symptoms at all show up, even a runny nose, I have to go get tested..

Being a short work week and not really sitting with anyone this week plus, Having a runny nose earlier in the week and being tested. I'll usually get my results back the next day..

Soon as I get them back I call and can then go into work that night.. I mean if they are negative, like they all have been so far..

Aaaaanyways,

I went and seen my Grandparents earlier today at my Fathers house.. Both My Grand Mothers and Grand Fathers on my Fathers side and my old mothers side, live in the same house with my Father,which is the next land over from ours..

My Grand Fathers always light up when they see the boys.. When I go over to see them and have the boys with me, after we greet, they always make sure to tell me, get out of the way because they need to see these boys!!  hehehe

My Grand Mother on my Fathers side is very reserved and quiet most of the time..She doesn't really do idle chit chat..

If she calls your name, you best drop what you are doing or at the very least, answer the first time.. She'll come get you if you don't.. The only times I can remember her having me sit with her to talk, like one on ones when she calls, is when she is worried about me or has something important to say and gonna give me some kind of a talking to..

She isn't mean or anything like that..I would say it is more, She cares so much that it hurts, is the best way I can put it..She's quiet because she is always thinking..

If you ask her how she is doing or how her day is going or what she has been doing, you'll get a short quick answer..

The way to start her talking is to ask her what she is thinking about.. You could be in for a five minute talk or a hours..

My Grand Mother on my old mothers side, Me and her are very very close and have our own tradition between each other..She still calls me child..She is always full of energy and has this sense of humor that just always catches me off guard..

She is also great story teller and will get me on the phone and say to come over when I am free, because she has something to say..

So, before I go over there I will make sure all makeup is off and wash my hair, because one of two things are going to happen.. I'm either going to come away with braids or she is just going to play with my hair..

If she asks me to sit my head in her lap, she is going to tell me a story and fiddle with my hair.. If she asks me to sit in front of her on the stool, I'm going to get a brushing and braids and a story from her experiences..

For me, it's one of my most valued traditions and I feel very fortunate for those times. For her, it is a very important thing to do..

My grandparents are much more than the few things I've said about them here.. But these are the things that stand out with me..Well, I really didn't go too much into my Grand Fathers, because this would end up being a book by the time i was finished..hehehe

Anyways, with it being Heritage day, I made it a point to go and visit with them today..

I didn't really mean to make such a long post, but I always feel really grounded after spending good quality time with my grandparents and it just kept coming out.. That and also a couple of glasses of wine.. I get to typing, sometimes I can't stop..

I'm pulling that last part because two glasses of wine and the internet learns too much.. hehehe

plus it sure felt like I typed a heck of a lot more than I did..O.o

I'll read it tomorrow and more than likely do a head desk.. hehehe We'll see..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 6

Los Angeles County has just issued a stay-at-home order for the next three weeks starting Monday.  

I kind of felt it was going to happen soon.  I did not want to meet for Christmas this year.  For one thing my youngest sister is a primary school teacher - she has enough to deal with that is for sure.  

I will listen to Christmas songs and remember family and friends.  Many of us in my building are already playing Christmas Songs - just leave the door open and walk down the halls, most residents are still in pretty good spirits playing some great classic Christmas tunes.

Our landlord has prepared a room where we can meet with one family member over the holiday season but she wants only two people in the room at a time with a kind of ppe on that she will provide.  

So, Christmas time is here even though we all have to abide restrictions.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

We did Thanksgiving at my brothers house. Just 4 of us, brother, sister, daughter and me.  Yes, we hugged. We were living with my brother until just a month ago and we all have fairly limited exposure to others so I felt pretty safe with them. My Dad died last year on December 27th.  This year is going to be sad but not as bad as last year. We're planning on doing Christmas together as well.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.