Funds for Friends

CharleneDayton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

If i were you i'd try to do some kind of RL thing.. share what you can and for example a garage sale.

I agree.  You're likely to be able to raise more money outside of SL.  Also, with the exception of some well-established and well trusted funds like Race for Life, fundraising efforts in SL are usually met with a high degree of skepticism.  There's nobody watching to be sure that they aren't ripoffs.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I agree.  You're likely to be able to raise more money outside of SL.  Also, with the exception of some well-established and well trusted funds like Race for Life, fundraising efforts in SL are usually met with a high degree of skepticism.  There's nobody watching to be sure that they aren't ripoffs.

I'm skeptical anytime anyone says they need money in RL.  SL is certainly not the place to find money nor would I even believe anyone if they said they did need money.  No one really knows anyone else's situation and I have seen people taken advantage of in this way.

• Like 5

We should be cautious for sure, as there are many opportunists and liars in SL, but if I knew someone for years and experienced them as decent and honest I wouldn't hesitate sending money if they had a crisis. It would be the same as RL. To say we would never help someone in SL because we don't really know them is similar to believing we could never have real friends in SL.

If I wasn't strapped for cash I'd rather be duped by a cheat than worry I might not have helped someone truly in need. Better to take the risk.

A few years ago my daughter was diagnosed with brain cancer, and people sent $L inworld as well as donated to her GoFundMe site. I will always remember them and feel appreciative that they cared enough to help us.

Edited by Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.