Slink Physique

DaphneDoodles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Because out of the two, HG is more widely used and thus has a larger target audience. It'd be a whole lot of work to rig stuff for all mesh bodies, most creators just select a few, or even one, of the more popular ones.

4 hours ago, DaphneDoodles said:

Slink Physique....why are many apparel vendors only creating Slink HG and not physique in their outfits?  Grrrrrrrr

Unfortunately there are many clothiers that don't do Slink Physique.  However, I know Addam's and Blueberry do.  What else, I'm not even sure.  Some clothiers are now only doing Maitreya and Legacy.  Making things in SL is a lot of work.  I think many do not realize that.  Even the events themselves that many of the best clothiers in SL do is a lot of work.  Some have cut back their workloads it appears and have dropped some bodies.  Many of us have/had noticed it.  

The best thing to do is put the words Slink Physique in the Marketplace search box and then hit Apparel, Women's, etc.  This will show what designers have Slink Physique in their line and take you directly to Slink Physique clothes.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

It's extremely frustrating.  Blueberry is my go-to but three times today I spied an awesome outfit and immediately went to marketplace only to learn they have all the usual designers but only Slink Hourglass.  I hope it doesn't mean that physique is going the way of the dinosaurs.......rowr....

When making things for Slink the advice is to make for Original then tweak it for Hourglass. I find that works and saves effort. It is much harder whem you start with HG then try to make the version for Original. 

So, why they build for just HG... I suspect they are short of time.

I keep finding new stores that make Slink Original. But, there are other brands that are more popular.

I suspect once the Lindens get around to changing the Avatar Render Cost system Slink will get more popular.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I suspect once the Lindens get around to changing the Avatar Render Cost system Slink will get more popular.

Hangs her head...you're not serious are you?  

Oh, did you tell her about the ba-trillion-triangle bodies coming soon, those will be even more popular, I'm sure.  lol

p.s.  I was here for my 2nd time when Slink feet came out.  I thought all the sim were yelling about how script intense just the Slink feet were at that time, years ago.  I think Slink feet were despised by sim owners if I remember correctly but we looked cuter.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

I am serious. 

The new ARC is going to use data collected by the Lindens over the last year plus. The new ARC/ACI based on that data is intended to give a more present-day realistic measure of render cost. As CPUs and GPUs get better it drives down render cost. Also, what was hard to render in the past and what is hard to render now is different as graphics cards and drivers improve. A new algorithm is needed.

Some think the ARC calc'd by Black Dragon is more realistic now and foreshadows what is coming. If that is true, using BD Slink is less than half (44%) the render cost of Maitreya (5.01). Maitreya is less than a number of other bodies. This gives Slink a good edge.

As it is now the difference between Slink and Maitreya using Firestorm, which is pretty much the same ARC/ACI as the Linden viewer is now, Slink is only slightly less (80%) than Maitreya.

If the coming new ARC/ACI favors Slink as much as BD does now then there is a likelihood the more environmentally conscious residents will consider Slink. 

I don't remember what region owners thought of Slink feet back in the days when mesh feet were replacing sculpty feet. But since then the SL system has changed quite a bit. The sculpty texture map and the mesh vertex lists are no  longer downloaded by the region servers. But, that was a transient load that only mattered when an avatar rezzed in. I went back and put on my Slink feet from 2014. They add about 3k of FS ACI and 16k of script which is nothing compared to hair of that era, some of which can add well over 100k of ACI and 200k of script. So there may be a reason I don't remember region owner complaints about Slink feet.

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If the coming new ARC/ACI favors Slink as much as BD does now then there is a likelihood the more environmentally conscious residents will consider Slink

So just a few forum users then. Ones that keep repeating same old thing about "optimisation" and "limits" for as long as I joined forums, and probably some more than that.

Can't say that I met a single (non-creator) person in-world who would care about stuff like "complexity" or "optimisation". Majority does care about things like: if it looks good, if it's easy to use, if it has a good 3rd party support (for heads and bodies) and other similar stuff.

Hard limits I find very unlikely, otherwise LL gonna destroy their own market overnight. Because bodies are just the tip of the iceberg and often are actually lighter than hair, clothes and other attachments that are worn on top of said bodies.

And just a change to complexity formula is easily ignored, like it is ignored now. I personally couldn't care less if "random person at random spot" can't see me properly, because he/she has complexity set too low. There always will be people on toasters with lowest possible settings that won't see anyone, too.

Slink is pretty much phased out, if not count a few big stores that can afford to pay riggers to do an extra rig, and (mostly) low quality FP templates that can be found on MP. It's not the only one, too. Belleza Venus and Isis are also barely supported, especially the former. I can't quite remember when I had to delete Signature Alice, Eve or Tonic sizes from an unpacked folder, so those are even more abandoned. And it's been the case for years. Now Belleza Freya and Hourglass are also being slowly phased out, because Legacy+perky and Maitreya+petite are already 4 rigs to do assuming it's not just a bottom piece, in which case it's 2. And based on what I see around in-world, as well as on flickr, it's over 90% of mesh bodies at the moment. Although recently I saw a heavy PR towards that "Kupra" body, and some creators actually updated their old released for that body, but I don't expect it to be a thing for too long, it's way too niche.

52 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

So just a few forum users then. Ones that keep repeating same old thing about "optimisation" and "limits" for as long as I joined forums, and probably some more than that.

Can't say that I met a single (non-creator) person in-world who would care about stuff like "complexity" or "optimisation". Majority does care about things like: if it looks good, if it's easy to use, if it has a good 3rd party support (for heads and bodies) and other similar stuff.

Hard limits I find very unlikely, otherwise LL gonna destroy their own market overnight. Because bodies are just the tip of the iceberg and often are actually lighter than hair, clothes and other attachments that are worn on top of said bodies.

And just a change to complexity formula is easily ignored, like it is ignored now. I personally couldn't care less if "random person at random spot" can't see me properly, because he/she has complexity set too low. There always will be people on toasters with lowest possible settings that won't see anyone, too.

Slink is pretty much phased out, if not count a few big stores that can afford to pay riggers to do an extra rig, and (mostly) low quality FP templates that can be found on MP. It's not the only one, too. Belleza Venus and Isis are also barely supported, especially the former. I can't quite remember when I had to delete Signature Alice, Eve or Tonic sizes from an unpacked folder, so those are even more abandoned. And it's been the case for years. Now Belleza Freya and Hourglass are also being slowly phased out, because Legacy+perky and Maitreya+petite are already 4 rigs to do assuming it's not just a bottom piece, in which case it's 2. And based on what I see around in-world, as well as on flickr, it's over 90% of mesh bodies at the moment. Although recently I saw a heavy PR towards that "Kupra" body, and some creators actually updated their old released for that body, but I don't expect it to be a thing for too long, it's way too niche.

A few years back everyone was screaming about LL putting a limit on how many scripts a.person could run at one time.  That never happened either.

• Like 1

The general populace of SL doesn't give a hoot about triangles or complexity. They want the shiniest and newest thing.. so fixing old bodies to be less weighty probably won't draw people back to those bodies. The traction Legacy gets despite how incredibly slow, heavy, and unfriendly it is is testament to the new and shiny motif.

Unless Slink makes a new body, I don't see much getting anywhere with the older ones as other brands release new bodies.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, RitaCallisto said:

The general populace of SL doesn't give a hoot about triangles or complexity. They want the shiniest and newest thing.. so fixing old bodies to be less weighty probably won't draw people back to those bodies. The traction Legacy gets despite how incredibly slow, heavy, and unfriendly it is is testament to the new and shiny motif.

Unless Slink makes a new body, I don't see much getting anywhere with the older ones as other brands release new bodies.

This is precisely why user controllable complexity settings are great. I have mine set to around 35k.  I am also mindful of my own complexity and keep it in that general vicinity. I really don't care how new and shiny or cute an avatar is, if its over 35k I am not seeing them.

I believe a hard limit on individual complexity would be a good thing but it isn't likely to happen.

6 hours ago, Gage Wirefly said:

This is precisely why user controllable complexity settings are great. I have mine set to around 35k.  I am also mindful of my own complexity and keep it in that general vicinity. I really don't care how new and shiny or cute an avatar is, if its over 35k I am not seeing them.

I believe a hard limit on individual complexity would be a good thing but it isn't likely to happen.

SL has an amazing free market economy. Those that want to give up more and more freedom and have 'authority' take it and enforce one-set-fits-all rules haven't noticed what happens in countries where that is the philosophy. 

Fortunately the Lab has realized artistic freedom is the life blood of their free market. So it is unlikely they will impose restrictive rules that would break their economic model.

8 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

People don't have good data on what SL residents do. Depends on which circles you run in as to what you think. Also, basing opinions on the number of SL people doing something based on what the inhabitants of the forum do doesn't work. It is too small a sample size. We have the same problem with poles on the various blogs running them. Too small a sample size.

I believe Maitreya is the leading body maker. We have lots of opinions on how various brands are loosing support and why. But, they are opinions. Confirmation bias tends to color people's opinions. I wear Slink and deal with its popularity and lack of it every time I go shopping. While Scandalize seems to be providing fewer Slink-included releases others, like Addams, are providing new Slink releases. You see it one way with your biases and I another with mine.

I agree and think limits would harm the Lab's economic model.

Yes, they can be ignored. But I see residents response to ARC/ACI differently. I disagree that few pay attention. A good example is hair. Prior to the current ACI implementation and the addition of viewer popups and Jelly Dolls hair was extremely heavy, ACI and script-wise. A 160k ACI hair was common. Now hair is as low as 10 or 20k and script weight dropped radically.

Land Impact had changed how 'things' are made for use in SL. People do pay attention.

Naw... I disagree. One can cherry-pick stores to count. Also, some clothes by a designer may are may not be made for Slink because the item is difficult to modify for various bodies while others are easy to modify. So, unless a designer says they are not going to support a brand, we just base our opinion on shaky incomplete information. So, we disagree.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.