New Apple Silicon

Tom00062

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’ve been looking at different sources.

While we will not truly know until we have hardware in hand, OpenGL, while “deprecated” in MacOS Big Sur (officially MacOS 11.0), nonetheless is still part of the OS. 

In theory, SL viewers should still be able to make the same OpenGL calls, and still function in the x86/x64 emulation layer.

Remember, I said in theory. Don’t go running out to buy hardware just yet. 

That being said, I’m waiting for an M1 MacBook Pro, and will report back my findings.

Here is an excerpt of a longer message I sent to the TVP developer mailing list yesterday:

An update after testing viewers on an Apple Silicon M1 Mac mini today, and the good thing is they all (SecondLife, Kokua, Cool VL, my own) runs, and seem to run reasonably well under Rosetta 2 emulation.

Performance is significantly better than on a Mac mini 2018 with the Intel 630 integrated graphics. Probably around a 3X performance increase. 

For a viewer window of 1680x1080 running on a 27” non-Retina display, with graphics settings at high, objects at the fist High step (not fully turned up), ALM on and Shadows for both Sun/Moon/Projectors, no refelections, RendervolLODfactor of 4 and draw distance of 128; on my Linden home location it runs at about 10-20 FPS depending on how much is in view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 3:34 AM, glen226 said:

This is really encouraging! Looking forward to the reviews of it running on the MacBook Pro! 

The performance on the MBP 13" should be identical to the mini as the motherboard and M1 is the same, with the exception it has a Retina display, and if you set the viewer to Retina display support (they call it HiDPI in the graphics setting), it will have to render 4X the amount compared to rendering with default viewer resolution. That will effectively more than halve your frame rate, but that might be acceptable depending of your location and how much content in view. 

• Like 1

OK guys just to report that I took delivery of my new MBP with the new Apple M1 Silicon and I am very happy to report that Firestorm loaded under Rosetta with absolutely no issues. I checked and the graphic setting were at high and with no tweaking at all I got 75 FPS at my home. I usually only get about 15 - 20 FPS at the lowest settings so that is a massive improvement for me. I then TP'd to a few different clubs where in the past I could barely move and used to get around 3 - 8 FPS. I was getting anywhere between 15 and 40 FPS with no issues moving around. This is going to revolutionise my SL experience..lol Plus this is my preliminary findings and the viewer is running under Rosetta ...just imagine if FS actually brought out a native app for this new apple chip.  I'm over the mood with how this has performed straight out of the box ! 

I hope this quick update will give some encouragement to other Apple users. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Tom00062 said:

OK guys just to report that I took delivery of my new MBP with the new Apple M1 Silicon and I am very happy to report that Firestorm loaded under Rosetta with absolutely no issues. I checked and the graphic setting were at high and with no tweaking at all I got 75 FPS at my home. I usually only get about 15 - 20 FPS at the lowest settings so that is a massive improvement for me. I then TP'd to a few different clubs where in the past I could barely move and used to get around 3 - 8 FPS. I was getting anywhere between 15 and 40 FPS with no issues moving around. This is going to revolutionise my SL experience..lol Plus this is my preliminary findings and the viewer is running under Rosetta ...just imagine if FS actually brought out a native app for this new apple chip.  I'm over the mood with how this has performed straight out of the box ! 

Amazing!! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I remembered you said you’d receive it on Wednesday and I’ve been looking forward to the update 👍

On 11/25/2020 at 10:31 PM, Tom00062 said:

Love to hear this! Will u share the detail specs ? 8 or 16 GM Shared RAM? etc... THX

My new laptop is a MacBook Pro with the M1 chip and has 16 GB of memory. I have had no issues so far running Second Life on this. Frame Rates are excellent and everything just works. I have not changed very much by way of settings just yet. Graphics are set to high. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tom00062 said:

My new laptop is a MacBook Pro with the M1 chip and has 16 GB of memory. I have had no issues so far running Second Life on this. Frame Rates are excellent and everything just works. I have not changed very much by way of settings just yet. Graphics are set to high. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask.

Okay, a slightly odd side question then :) What are you using for camera control (just keyboard, trackpad?) - reason I ask is that I see from SecondLife JIRA that MacOS Big Sur has stopped the 3dconnexion space mouse from working with LL Viewer/FireStorm. Holding off upgrading to Big Sur on my iMac until that's - hopefully - sorted. If I could buy this laptop with Catalina it would be perfect!

I have always just used the keyboard and trackpad so I'm afraid I can't comment on the 3dconnexion space mouse. I supposed I'm just used to that method and I'm happy with it. I have not found any negative issues as of yet so very pleased with the increase in performance and also how stable the MBP with the M1 silicon has been so far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 4:44 AM, Tom00062 said:

Can you share with us the FPS for Ultra and all of the other settings turn on max in a low and high sim using firestorm and secondlife viewer? Thanks again for sharing.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:07 AM, uk89201 said:

Okay, a slightly odd side question then :) What are you using for camera control (just keyboard, trackpad?) - reason I ask is that I see from SecondLife JIRA that MacOS Big Sur has stopped the 3dconnexion space mouse from working with LL Viewer/FireStorm. Holding off upgrading to Big Sur on my iMac until that's - hopefully - sorted. If I could buy this laptop with Catalina it would be perfect!

https://3dconnexion.com/uk/support/faq/beta-driver-for-macos-11-big-sur/

• Thanks 1

I've been messing around with an M1 MacBook Pro some this evening (16GB model). It seems competitive in SL with a 2018 15" MacBook with an AMD Radeon Pro 560X, The screen scaling is different, so it's not quite apples to apples. 

I was getting decent performance with ALM on and 128M draw distance in both the Linden viewer and Firestorm (full screen). No shadows and minimum water reflections. In Chakryn forest they both do the mid-20s. Everwinter Nights ranged from 20-ish and down to the teens. Acceptable, but not great. Single digits at Moochie's Winter Wonderland, but that place is brutal on everything. Ultra is a no-go. Switching to Ultra in Chakryn Forest dragged the frame rate straight to single digit hell.

The Linden viewer defaulted to HiDPI on, I'd turn that off. You don't really need it. The display is absolutely amazeballs. Do the kids still say that? Well it is. Apple makes the best displays.

One major reason I went with the Pro over the Air is the Pro has fans. I'm not sure they've ever come on.

I was skeptical when news started leaking about Apple moving to ARM. There are still some issues to iron out, but my first impressions of this thing are that it's great. I would buy this hands down over the 13" Intel MacBook.

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 3

Sorry this is late it took a while for mine to be delivered

My MacBook Pro M1 arrived today at my home I am achieving around 60fps on my home sim which has small avatar numbers and around 28-3- fps in a busy club, the cooling fan has yet to turn on and I MacBook does not feel excessively hot to the touch.

This is much better than my pervious intel macBook that ran very hot in Second Life and family members PC Laptops with that have extreme fan usage when second life is running

very early days days but so far so good

and this is all with the viewer running through Roseta2 and on not very uptodate version of open gl as apple no longer develops it. an optimised viewer would boost performance  significantly.

But the thermal performance is very impressive and if this translates in to my professional workflows as well as I think it will further testing required, this Mac will prove to be a very good option.

If you have any questions feel free to reply :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 725 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.