How do you know if a region has been uplifted?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen reports that the domain name used for servers on the cloud may change. When you think about it, Amazon will have a lot of customers using their cloud who want to be able to use their own domain name. It can take a little setting up to use two domain names for the same IP address, and the amazon name might default to a specific port to give them secure access for maintenance. And now I can't find what I saw. But what I recall is that the cloud serves will still use a distinct domain name.

So I know a few regions that are on the cloud. If there is a new domain name, I can check. But this is all pretty routine internet stuff.

8 hours ago, arabellajones said:

When you think about it, Amazon will have a lot of customers using their cloud who want to be able to use their own domain name.

How do you figure? It's only LL who will change the domain name for the uplifted regions. How I read your post it's as if you expect region owners other than LL to want their own domain name to point at their region. 
If that's what you mean then I can already tell you that this won't fly. 

6 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

How do you figure? It's only LL who will change the domain name for the uplifted regions. How I read your post it's as if you expect region owners other than LL to want their own domain name to point at their region. 
If that's what you mean then I can already tell you that this won't fly. 

We're not Amazon Cloud customers. Linden Lab is, just one small corporation using the Cloud. How many times have you seen anything on the net which you can only access with an amazonaws.com domain name?

I'm a little surprised that Linden Lab are openly using that domain. They can figure it out how to use their own domain-name for the current servers on that server farm in Arizona. They were doing it back in the days when servers were in several locations across the USA.

Putt's Law would fit, though it's far from the only explanation.

12 hours ago, arabellajones said:

We're not Amazon Cloud customers. Linden Lab is, just one small corporation using the Cloud. How many times have you seen anything on the net which you can only access with an amazonaws.com domain name?

Are you even reading and TRYING to comprehend what I have been saying?

Or are you just trolling? I can't rule out that possibility.

LL are not going to be using as of now their Secondlife.com or Lindenlab.com domains for the simulators, nor are they going to provide ways to use those domains, so people relying on the domains for scripts will have to come up with another way of doing so, I just read it on a forum post by a linden, I'll have to see if I can figure out which post it was now.

1 hour ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

LL are not going to be using as of now their Secondlife.com or Lindenlab.com domains for the simulators, nor are they going to provide ways to use those domains, so people relying on the domains for scripts will have to come up with another way of doing so, I just read it on a forum post by a linden, I'll have to see if I can figure out which post it was now.

Two pinned topics on the LSL Scripting forum:

• Like 1

The uplifted regions do have a DNS name that isn't in amazon.com; they look like "simhost-0cfc9aaea518b73d2.agni.secondlife.io". Those names exist now: your viewer is using them internally, and if a script requests the simulator host name those names are what are returned.

As @arabellajones said above, it's possible for an IP address to have more than one name, and our simulators do, so both the .amazon.com name you see now in your viewer and the .secondlife.io name that scripts get point to that same address. However, there isn't a way to query DNS with an IP address to get all the names that point to it - you can only get one answer, and the way we have things set up the answer you get now is the .amazon.com name. In our datacenter, we could just have one name so the address lookup got you the .secondlife.com name, so we never bothered to send the name explicitly to the viewer - it just did the address-to-name lookup to display in the About box.

We've added explicitly sending the .secondlife.io name to the uplifted simulators, and we're modifying the viewer to use that name when it's available, so at some point the .amazon.com name (which will still exist) won't be displayed anywhere.

• Thanks 2

Really, unless you're deep inside the viewer or doing HTTP into or out of SL objects, the DNS names of the simulators don't matter.

(There's an obscure feature of HTTPS where the HTTP client can offer a TLS certificate to the server on request. This is the reverse of the usual authentication. It would be nice if SL did that on outgoing HTTP connections, with one EV cert for all of SL. Then, viewers which really needed to know it was SL at the other end could check the certificate. It would be a rarely used feature, except for a few in-world applications which need high security. Like vendors. Some game servers might use it. Once the server is sure it's SL sending, the server can trust the extra HTTP headers which indicate who, what, and where within SL is sending the request. This beats rolling your own crypto inside LSL.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.