"Hidden" Posts and Waiting for Moderation

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, in the past month or so, I've had two posts "Hidden" and awaiting moderation on the forum, the most recent on Saturday. I can still see them, but there seems to be no way to make them public. Neither has been moderated, nor does there seem to be any indication that this is something that happens here -- they are both, I think, and certainly my most recent, just hanging in limbo . . . forever?

So. some questions about this:

• How many others have had posts "hidden" from the moment you hit "submit"?

• Are these going to be moderated, eventually, or are they in effect lost?

• What criteria are used for this? Because my last "hidden" post contains no censored or proscribed words, no image, no references to activities that are against the TOS or CS, no explicit description of sexual activities, no names, and indeed, nothing that I can see that would trigger an automatic response. It IS about sexuality, in the sense that it talks about the distinction between abuse and consent, and quotes from a well-known BDSM advocacy group on this subject, but, again, the content is actually far tamer than a great deal of what gets posted here.

• If I try to repost a "hidden" post, changing the language a bit so as to get around whatever algorithm is at work, will that get me in trouble, the way that reposting something removed by the mods would?

I'd really sort of like to know how this works, as it has now happened to me twice. And I'd love to hear a justification for hiding my last post, although I don't expect to get that.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So

I know...it's happened to me twice...and it kind of freaked me out. Suddenly there's a huge colored box around the post and it won't go through, and I had to wonder if an alarm was going off somewhere...lol

I changed a couple words in a new post as I attempted to describe the stealing of Native land in America's history (land-r-a-p-e) and explained I'd changed the words so no need to let the previous comment go through.  Never did see if the hidden posts were removed, and I didn't get in trouble.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I've had this. The first couple of times I waited; the posts were not abusive and didn't break any rules that I knew of, so I was fairly confident they'd go up eventually. They never went live and I never heard anything, so on the one or two occasions it's happened since, I've just deleted it to a full stop and written a new post, making a guess at what set the alarm off the first time. Sometimes it takes more than one attempt. 

The real reason it annoys me is that the last time it happened, it was a post in which I was making fun of Gor. Something along the lines of "steady on old chum, I mean, we were fine with women being XXX and XXX and XXX, but dash it all, don't you think you've taken it a bit too far with the XXX, I mean if you carry on like this then you might get us into a bit of a sticky wicket and what a frightful bore that would be, what what" or words to that effect. It set off the alarm so I ended up writing something less sarcastic and less funny, which was no fun.

Gor: repelling even the moderating algorithm.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

• If I try to repost a "hidden" post, changing the language a bit so as to get around whatever algorithm is at work, will that get me in trouble, the way that reposting something removed by the mods would?

I'd try it if it was me. I can't imagine what you'd get in trouble for if none of the posts are against TOS.

• Thanks 1

@Amina Sopwithand @Luna Bliss, thanks both. That would seem to be confirmation that the mods won't actually be looking at or approving these points, and that they are indeed simply lost in the void, presumably via some newish software add-on that no one wants or knows how to use. The trick of deleting the content (although I'm not even sure that there's a point to that) and reposting with different wording seems a good way to respond.

@AdminGirl, you're right, in theory, but the TOS and CS are notoriously vague and open to interpretation, and I've been nailed on things in this forum before that frankly surprised me, so I am a bit cautious. But, unless I hear otherwise from a mod here, trying again does seem the route to go. I won't bother with the currently hidden posts, as they are both well past their best-before-date anyway,, but in the future I'll have a better idea of what to do.

• Like 3

Rather than modifying the post to try to get it to no longer hide, I'd make a brand new post saying roughly the same thing -- and then submit a Support Ticket asking about the post waiting for review.  Maybe that review stuff is some other unintended consequence of the latest forum software update.  Or even if they intended it, maybe they don't have their own alerts set up properly and that is why the posts (yours and others) don't seem to ever actually get a review.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Maybe that review stuff is some other unintended consequence of the latest forum software update.  Or even if they intended it, maybe they don't have their own alerts set up properly and that is why the posts (yours and others) don't seem to ever actually get a review.

This is my suspicion.

I don't think there's anyway to modify a post so that it will become "unhidden": I think it's stuck there like that, no matter what the content. It makes more sense to start from scratch, and look to avoid any potentially triggering wording the second time around.

Not sure I'd bother with a ticket. By the time the post is moderated, it's likely to be irrelevant anyway.

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is my suspicion.

I don't think there's anyway to modify a post so that it will become "unhidden": I think it's stuck there like that, no matter what the content. It makes more sense to start from scratch, and look to avoid any potentially triggering wording the second time around.

Not sure I'd bother with a ticket. By the time the post is moderated, it's likely to be irrelevant anyway.

I'd probably do the ticket in order to bring it to their attention -- or open a JIRA since the "review" does not seem to be ever happening.

• Like 1

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd probably do the ticket in order to bring it to their attention -- or open a JIRA since the "review" does not seem to be ever happening.

I've always kind of, sort of, assumed that this subforum existed to bring such things to the attention of the mods.

Wishful thinking, maybe?

• Like 1

• Lindens

Hey y'all, necrothreading to go on an off-topic political sidebar is pretty uncool. The posts in question have been removed and I am locking the thread from further comment, since it's been so misused.

Please review the Community Participation Guidelines to avoid further such action: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/403538-community-participation-guidelines/

We know the moderation filters can be a little buggy, still. Thank you for your continued patience.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1016 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.