Support request: Unclear why item was banned

SatyrBator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I assume this is the forum for support requests  since i can't find a support link

We run a website that needs an in-world beacon to funciton.  Our Item "SL Beacon" was banned  and the reason given was " Non-Item Listing - Real-World Goods or Service". 

Our item is not a non-item, it is a scripted object that is necessary for our service, and thus we give it for free through the marketplace: http://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SLBeacon-Beacon-01/9052537

I.e. it is not simply a token listing to advertise our service. In addition, our service is not against the terms of service.

I believe this was wrongly banned. Please advise, thanks

b1.jpg

We can't really help you but LL doesn't typically justify why they delist items in more details than the canned reason you received. You should file a ticket.

That being said they are most likely consistent with their policy as this is more or less using the sl marketplace as a distribution platform and not the store it is supposed to be.

Didn't someone (you?) make a thread about "SL Beacon" earlier? That's been deleted too, and you have "3 posts" but only this survives. I recall it being something not exactly (or only) related to SL, maybe it is but the description didn't leave that impression.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SatyrBator said:

We run a website that needs an in-world beacon to funciton.  Our Item "SL Beacon" was banned  and the reason given was " Non-Item Listing - Real-World Goods or Service". 

Our item is not a non-item, it is a scripted object that is necessary for our service, and thus we give it for free through the marketplace: http://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SLBeacon-Beacon-01/9052537

I.e. it is not simply a token listing to advertise our service. In addition, our service is not against the terms of service.

I believe this was wrongly banned. Please advise, thanks

only Linden can say for sure, but a reason for a location device to be banned is when an avatar's data (inworld location) is shared with others without obtaining that avatar's consent

a region/parcel owner can collect info on their visitors, what they can't do is share the info with others (inworld or externally) without the avatar giving permission for the region/parcel owner to do this

so I think that for your product to be compliant then the script would have to ask the visitor for their consent. Like a menu dialog: Collate your location data on our website which can be shared publicly with our website visitors? [Yes] [No]

Edited by Mollymews
with

5 hours ago, Mollymews said:

only Linden can say for sure, but a reason for a location device to be banned is when an avatar's data (inworld location) is shared with others without obtaining that avatar's consent

If that was the case all server based vendor systems, rental systems etc. would have to be banned too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

If that was the case all server based vendor systems, rental systems etc. would have to be banned too.

the user opts in to using a vendor by paying into it, using it implies permission given to the shopkeeper or landlord.  A scanner is not opt in without some kind of action being required of the person scanned

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

the user opts in to using a vendor by paying into it, using it implies permission given to the shopkeeper or landlord.  A scanner is not opt in without some kind of action being required of the person scanned

Yes, LL may see it that way. If that is the case and security issues really is the reason why the listing was taken down, all the OP has to do is document that the script does not collect and send data about specific avatars. Should be easy enough to sort out then.

4 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

all the OP has to do is document that the script does not collect and send data about specific avatars. Should be easy enough to sort out then.

yes, OP said above that it only sends the count of avatars on a region. So yes work it thru with Linden

i would suggest to Saytr to make it parcel based rather than region based. Regions can have any number of parcels owned by different people. Am not sure that a parcel owner who doesn't have a beacon would necessarily want their traffic conflated with a neighbour who does have a beacon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes, OP said above that it only sends the count of avatars on a region. So yes work it thru with Linden

The solution may be as simple as to correct the strange permissions error for the script so it's possible for people to confirm what data the beacon sends.

But considering that they took down the original thread about slbeacon, it seems more likely LL has simply decided they don't want an independent directory of SL locations and they are doing what they can to stop it.

This reminds me, did anybody ever find out what really happened to PrimBay?

3 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I remember at one point in time,  one could not use the SL name with anything they had offered for sale or services,   we had our group renamed because we had SL in the name of the group.

I wondered about that at first, but there are tons of items on the MP with "SL" in their name.  

20 hours ago, SatyrBator said:

Do you remember what the exact title of the listing was and the exact wording in the description?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1352 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.