Earthquake for noobs.... Sparta NC 5.1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I am about 20 min from Sparta NC right now (working for the season) and as a Noob , newb, newbie, etc.. To earthquakes, what advice do you west coasters have to give me? It shook me a bit, no structural damage to be honest, I thought the dogs were playing around and I yelled at them to knock it off. lol (I was sleepin) I am used to hurricanes being a Florida gal but dang.... this stuff just happens no warnings.... We are getting some after shocks today had a few.

I am here.JPG

Edited by Tarina Sewell
The dogs were alert but in their beds

Glad you came through it OK, and didn't have any structural damage. What a way to get woken up!  If I'm remembering correctly, you're in a trailer for the summer season (or was that just for traveling to the location)? I'm sure you probably already checked, but if not, I'd double check the propane and water connections to make sure they're still tight. Earthquakes don't last very long, really, but it sure feels like forever when it's occurring.  I always plan to go stand in a door way, but it's always so sudden and such a shock I've just ended up staying in my chair, petrified, until it's over.  Noticeable after shocks should wind down within a day or two, usually being less strong each occurrence.  Hearing about an earthquake someplace always causes me to take a look around my house again, looking to see if tall wall shelves are anchored, looking at what might fall off, and how far stuff might fall...  and think again about where is the best location in the house/garage/out buildings for storing emergency rations/supplies and water. 

• Like 1

If you live in an area that has lots of soft ground like in a valley the earth can have soil liquefaction which causes the ground to behave like a liquid while the earthquake is happening and then turn solid again. This can cause the whole foundation of a house to move and make cracks in the walls. It could also make cracks in roads and sidewalks. A tree or lamp post could start to lean in one direction. There is a lot of building codes to deal with quakes in California and I'm not sure if the codes are the same throughout the US. I'd be careful around all the older historic buildings. But, it's not likely you'll see any more shakes so I'd be more worried about the hurricanes. 

• Like 1

Hang in there!  I was once in an earthquake at lunch on holiday..  Left my purse and ID on the table as I ran out, but somehow kept a kebab on a stick in my hand with no issue (priorities)....

I had nothing on the German lady on holiday who came running out of the apartments over the Restaurant stark naked screaming.

Your local government should have a website that should help with information. FEMA does too. if you have no damage the aftershocks shouldn’t then cause more hopefully.  But sometime you really need to check for damage.  Get a torch or phone light and check things like pipes that enter your home (may be in confined areas) to ensure no cracking around them.  Check inside cupboard / closets too for any shifting walls esp cracks.    If you are all good check again in a few days as things can still shift.    However it sounds like hopefully you are all ok!   

• Like 3

We're in kind of a neat place in Tennessee..it's kind of like an island on land..

I forget the name of it, but it's like a dome of rock, so if there is an earthquake the energy would hit the dome and treat the land like water washing up on the shore..

Off the dome the land goes really deep..but anywhere around here you hit rock at 36 inches..

It's like an island  that protects against earth quakes..

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Moira Timmerman said:

Glad you came through it OK, and didn't have any structural damage. What a way to get woken up!  If I'm remembering correctly, you're in a trailer for the summer season (or was that just for traveling to the location)? I'm sure you probably already checked, but if not, I'd double check the propane and water connections to make sure they're still tight. Earthquakes don't last very long, really, but it sure feels like forever when it's occurring.  I always plan to go stand in a door way, but it's always so sudden and such a shock I've just ended up staying in my chair, petrified, until it's over.  Noticeable after shocks should wind down within a day or two, usually being less strong each occurrence.  Hearing about an earthquake someplace always causes me to take a look around my house again, looking to see if tall wall shelves are anchored, looking at what might fall off, and how far stuff might fall...  and think again about where is the best location in the house/garage/out buildings for storing emergency rations/supplies and water. 

Yes, an RV at a resort.  We were all out once we realized what happened checking things and the maintenance guys were checking.. I did notice yesterday (days after) that my water line was a bit askew!! 

whew... great info!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.