Crazy Developer Idea - Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's a crazy developer idea: fix SL so that when you right click the pants icon in your inventory and select 'Wear', it actually makes you wear pants.

ezgif-7-ad3f1f55555a.gif.cfb1fb3461198c021ec37963260555e6.gif

What I practically mean by this is: can we finally do away with the legacy bodies and clothes? No one ever uses them and they just consfuse and upset the hell out of noobs that want to give SL a try.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
The lady standing next to me, just out of the frame, probably ARred the hell out of me while I made this capture.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

can we finally do away with the legacy bodies and clothes? No one ever uses them

Beg to differ.

You might not use system layer clothes, others do thanks to BoM. Requesting that the library starter avatars do get updated to some kind of BoM support might be the more valid request here.

Plus, double-click wear / add for the win. "No one ever" uses the menu.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 7:53 AM, ItHadToComeToThis said:

These days however, prims are out and mesh is in and its a case of learning Blender, Avastar, Marvellous Designer and ZBrush depending on what it is you want to make and with the ever increasing quality of items and the flooded fashion market, you could argue that its more difficult than ever to become a designer and make any kind of impact.

There's a popular racing game series out there right now called Trackmania, the game has a 'block based' map editor where you can place scenery blocks etc.

One unprecedented thing that it also has, is a sort of 'block editor' which is basically a very simple click and drag mesh editor, you hover over the mesh and click and drag points to manipulate the shape. It has a few basic things to make new tri's and extrude, and an ability to curve things to follow a path, but that's about it, but it's enough to birth an entire community of people who make 'custom blocks' https://item.mania.exchange/

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, I think that having a very basic mesh editor inside SL is not beyond the technical realms of possibility, such things have been made before in other games, if they're a bit rare, then noobs could have fun just manipulating mesh items that already exist, or even rezzing a default cube and being able to manipulate it as a mesh. Sure, they can't make clothes with something like this because mesh still has to be rigged, but it should be a nice introduction to mesh modelling for people that doesn't throw them too far into the deep end at first, and eases the learning process into more advanced tools.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

One unprecedented thing that it also has, is a sort of 'block editor' which is basically a very simple click and drag mesh editor, you hover over the mesh and click and drag points to manipulate the shape.

I'm not familiar with Trackmania but that sounds a lot like Archimatix. If the game runs on Unity or UE, it's almost certainly Archimatix.

It's essentially fitted mesh except rather than move the control points (or "bones" if you like) with animations, you can do it manually.

3 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Here's a crazy developer idea: fix SL so that when you right click the pants icon in your inventory and select 'Wear', it actually makes you wear pants.

ezgif-7-ad3f1f55555a.gif.cfb1fb3461198c021ec37963260555e6.gif

What I practically mean by this is: can we finally do away with the legacy bodies and clothes? No one ever uses them and they just consfuse and upset the hell out of noobs that want to give SL a try.

That isn't a legacy body. That's one of the 2014-vintage mesh starter avatars that are no longer exposed to new signups other than a handful of "vampire/werewolf" avatars.

• Thanks 1

In a way, animesh are the next generation of avatar system. They start with a basic nude skin mesh attached to a bento skeleton. Then you add clothing. There's no "legacy avatar" to hide. Nor is there a "dress layer" or a "coat layer". You can add texture clothing (classic SL clothing) or rigged mesh clothing.

testiathippo02.thumb.jpg.ef4f67a4f59a22fbb4ed505a30e78859.jpg

Animesh character with clothing. Most animesh characters in SL are built with fixed clothing. (Actually, most of the ones on Marketplace are ripped from games.) This one isn't. It's a body with separate clothing. It is a low-LI model, fewer triangles than most avatars, with a full bento skeleton. The fingers can be animated. Animesh, unlike avatars, are charged LI in world, so you have to simplify.

• The body is the standard public Ruth model with some mesh reduction. UVs for the body are standard SL body UVs, and classic clothing textures will fit. They can't be applied in-world, because animesh don't get to use the baking service.
  • The hoodie and shoes are rigged mesh, custom made by Duck Girl. Those are added by linking them to the body. (Animesh don't have a "wear" function.) Rigged mesh clothing will work on animesh, but most stock clothing has a huge triangle count, so I had some custom clothing made.
  • The hair is a Marketplace full perm low-LI rigged mesh hair item from Meli Imako, again added by linking to the body.
  • Pants and shirt are texture clothing, applied in Photoshop to the nude skin model.

So SL already has most of the the machinery for avatars which leave behind the legacy system. If simpler avatars are needed, this is the way to go.

Edited by animats
Fix bento text.
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1423 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.