Problems with Avi hover height

Sugarbaby497

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello -  I have been on SL for 9 months.   I continue to have issues sitting, laying or any interactivity with furniture, rides, boats, surfboards with  avatar being to low or disappearing in the furniture or what ever i am interacting with.   So every single pose is always low and I have to adjust it.    I am using the latest version of Firestorm and my avatar is full mesh.  Can anyone suggest what i can do to fix this?  Is there a setting that i am missing?

14 answers to this question

There are two places to adjust hover height.  The first is found in the Appearance > Edit My Shape menu.  Scroll down and look for the last slider on the Body tab.

In most cases, you'll get the best results if you set this at 50%.  However, you may also want to try...

1.  Set the OTHER hover height setting, the one in Firestorm Quick Preferences, to 0.

2.  Set the Appearance hover height slider to set you with your feet on the ground, while wearing your most commonly used body/foot shape/shoes.  Save that version of your shape.

3.  Now use the Firestorm Quick Prefs hover height to fine tune your height above ground and/or furniture.  You may need to change it when changing shoes, or when switching from standing to sitting on furniture.  That's one reason the FS folks made it so easy to get at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Sugarbaby497 said:

Hello -  I have been on SL for 9 months.   I continue to have issues sitting, laying or any interactivity with furniture, rides, boats, surfboards with  avatar being to low or disappearing in the furniture or what ever i am interacting with.   So every single pose is always low and I have to adjust it.    I am using the latest version of Firestorm and my avatar is full mesh.  Can anyone suggest what i can do to fix this?  Is there a setting that i am missing?

IF you change your hover height (something many of us do often depending on the shoes we are wearing and how the creator crafted said shoes :D) so that you fit on most chairs -- then you will likely be either floating or sinking into the floor or ground when you walk.  Typically furniture makers aim for a middle ground (I use six feet) and those taller or shorter then need to adjust. Once you sit and adjust the furniture you CAN SAVE that setting for a later time -- in the most popular sitter applications. That's about as good as it gets. 

IF you have a very tall avatar then you will automatically sink into most furniture. So the answer if the problem  is frustrating enough is to adjust the height of your avatar.   

IF that isn't the issue, then it could be that your animation overrider is causing the sinking. Try sitting on the furniture with your AO detached and see if the problem persists.  Some AOs let you use the sits in your AO rather than the ones in the furniture. 

Those are my only ideas :D.  Hope they helped. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

---   FIXED   ---

STEP 1 - Right click on avatar ... Go To Appearance  ...   Go To Hover Height    ...  Must be set to 0.000

STEP 2 - Right click on Avatar again  ... Go To Apperance  ...    Go To Edit Shape  ...  Should give you a pop up window  ...  Click the Body Tab   .... Scroll to the bottom   ... Hover Height must be set to 50   (if you changed it from something other than 50)  ... click the Save as Button at the Bottom.

STEP 3 - Go To Apperance TAB (at the right side of screen )   ....  Should Give you a pop up window   ....    click on save (save outfit) at the bottom

STEP 4 - Quit your viewer (Quit the game)   ....   Open the Game back up   ....    You should now be able to sit on any chair and not fall through it.

SIDE NOTE: If you do not have the Apperance TAB (at the right side of the Screen)      ...    You can put one there by going to the Avatar TAB at the top of the screen  ....   Go to  Toolbar Buttons    .....    In the poped up window   .... find the Apperance Button   ....   Drag it to the right - or - left side of the screen.

PS  This is all using the Firestorm Viewer

P PS  You may have to do this once every time you change to a new outfit

derk5482

Edited by derk5482
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, you only have to do this ONCE.

When you change outfits (more precisely, when you change shoes), you may have to slightly adjust the hover height setting in the Firestorm Quick Prefs menu. You should not have to adjust the Hover setting in the Appearance > Edit Shape menu once it's set up. In most cases, 50 will be the correct number for this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, you only have to do this ONCE.

When you change outfits (more precisely, when you change shoes), you may have to slightly adjust the hover height setting in the Firestorm Quick Prefs menu. You should not have to adjust the Hover setting in the Appearance > Edit Shape menu once it's set up. In most cases, 50 will be the correct number for this.

Reading between the lines here, can you confirm that Hover Height isn't even saved with Appearance->Edit Shape?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, derk5482 said:

I personally had to do the adjustments for each outfit

If you have to edit your shape and change the Shape->Body->Hover value back to 50 each time you change an outfit, it would seem like the shape wasn't fully saved after you made the change? or you're wearing a different shape with each outfit?

If you made the change in the shape settings and did a "save as" that saves a new version of the shape, and for the change to carry over to future outfits you'd need to be wearing the new version of the shape.  You can replace the shape that is associated with existing outfits by right clicking on the old shape name and using the "replace links" option.  (Replace links brings up a dialog window where you drag the old item and the new item into the appropriate fields in the dialog box and confirm you want to replace the links). 

• Like 2

I find that many boots/shoes no longer come with system layer shoe shape (that has heel height, platform, etc) because the boots are just too tall.  So I use an RLV scripted attachment to set my hover height instead.

Rather than one attachment that I have to click to adjust for each pair of shoes, I have different hard-coded attachments for various hover-heights.  So once I have figured out the right height (via fiddling with Firestorm Quick Prefs) I make a new attachment (example name: "adjust_height10.0") and I save that into the new outfit.  For some vendors, their shoes are usually the same height.  I also created folders with links in the #RLV/ directory so I can attach/detach various adjust_heights through a menu.

How do other people manage their heels height?

I haven't had too many issues with sitting but I walk around more than I sit.

It is possible to create an attachment that would auto-change (via RLV) hover height when sitting on something, and revert when standing, but it might not be helpful unless it was for things that I regularly sitting on. 

This brings to mind an old video:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.