About Copyright

DeskaZakuska

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello to everyone! I have an important question for you.
Is it free to use a well-known and famous game character in my designs? For example; Like using garfield in clothing design or tattoo design. (Garfield is just an example) Do you think this is legal? do i get a penalty?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Edited by DeskaZakuska

10 minutes ago, DeskaZakuska said:

Is it free to use a well-known and famous game character in my designs? For example; Like using garfield in clothing design or tattoo design. (Garfield is just an example) Do you think this is legal? do i get a penalty?

no, not allowed
yes you have the risk to get a penalty... in SL ánd RL

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeskaZakuska said:

This is clearly spelled out in the Terms of Service which of COURSE you read before agreeing to and logging into Second Life.   Thinking about creating something original is a good thing!!!

7 hours ago, DeskaZakuska said:

It is quick cash but remember it is also possible for them to add in automatic sweeps without telling you. In late 2019 if your product has any trademark brand words (Gucci, LV, Disney etc in ANY part of your product) it becomes automatically delisted. Another platform which I will not name has mesh analysis to determine if you actually should be getting paid, so if you bank on second hand intellectual property (Tattoo showing Link etc) you can run into the filter later on which will make all of your product become useless. 

If you are going to do that, find ones where they are more lenient on second hand use of IPs, Disney for example is known to chase you to the edge if the world to stop you from using their IP while Yoko Taro doesn't mind at all and even encourage it. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Thinking about creating something original is a good thing!!!

Yes. I'm always looking for animesh characters I can use with my NPC system, which makes animesh move around more or less intelligently. On Marketplace, the available human-type animesh models are mostly

• Star [Wars|Trek|Gate|Craft|Citizen] ripoffs.
  • The Marvel Overextended Universe
  • Gorean slave girls.
  • Zombies. (Way too many of those.)

When I find something that isn't one of those, it usually turns out to have been ripped from a video game.

I'm looking for low-poly characters similar to typical SL human characters. I have one good one, and need more for variety. I could use "shopper in mall", "cashier", "waitress", "airport ground crew" types, under 30 LI as dressed animesh. Preferably bento.

So, if you're up to making ordinary humans, talk to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have direct experience with this, being a creator of original works from 3d models to music, as well as a contributor to Creative Commons where people can use my content for free.

On this subject I can tell you after 20 years of it, noone cares about copyright, the guidelines, or generally doing the right thing.
If you can get away with it, do it. You will make good money from doing it, and if the content is popular you will sell a bundle.
The general attitude is "If you're not DMCA'd from the company, then  you got nothing to worry about". Linden Labs will not even do anything about it, even if the user admits to doing so publicly.

If you can obscure the product by only selling it inworld, and not list it publicly to be found, that is usually a popular thing to do to avoid discovery and prosecution.

If you try to appeal to people's fairness on the matter, you will be told where to shove it, to mind your own business, and may even report you for harassment.

Disclaimer: This post is stating facts sarcastically, and of course is not an endorsement to break guidelines or to upload/sell work that is not your own or licensed).

On 4/25/2020 at 12:34 PM, So Whimsy said:

Karma will get them.

No it won't. Their bank will fill with money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.