Air Purifier Near Desktop Computer - Is It Safe??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently bought the - Honeywell QuietClean Tower Air Purifier With Permanent Washable Filters, HFD-110

I was wondering Is it safe to be sort of near a Desktop Computer and TV??

It is at currently 48 Inches away from the computer tower and 65 Inches away from my TV

I could move it more near the door I’ve had it on since Sunday from High to Medium setting when I'm awake

to Low when I'm asleep until now of where it is but I just wanted to make sure it’s safe there.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics (3499.98 MHz)
Memory: 16333 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18363.815)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 580 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.20.15029.15007
OpenGL Version: 4.2.13587 Compatibility Profile Context 20.3.1 26.20.15029.15007

Current Set Up of it - The one with the Yellow sticker on top is the Air Purifier and the pill bottle on top is the Desktop tower just to show how far away they are from one another.

20200423_040141.jpg

Edited by Esmeraldazs

1 hour ago, Esmeraldazs said:

I recently bought the - Honeywell QuietClean Tower Air Purifier With Permanent Washable Filters, HFD-110

I would say safe and if your TV and computer could kiss 💋 you, they would, as the air used to cool them are cleaner!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

read your manual ...🙄

Don't you think if I had that I would .... I lost it

1 minute ago, Rachel1206 said:

I would say safe and if your TV and computer could kiss 💋 you, they would, as the air used to cool them are cleaner!

Thanks

Edited by Esmeraldazs

10 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

just a advice.. never buy a car.

I don't have over $200.00 month for car insurance payments a month and don't tell me there not cause I know how much one was in my name years ago.

So go take your rude comments elsewhere.

I have multiple friends who have misplaced car keys, house keys, wedding rings, stuff that isn't  cheap multiple times it happens it's part of life.

Edited by Esmeraldazs

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

it's not rude, but genuinely meant.. if you come with these questions to a SECOND LIFE forum .. you would be in dangerous circumstances for driving a car, and ask for SL support.

Again I don't drive so go take your comments elsewhere I already said that in my last post if you cant understand clear English go back to school 

Just now, Lillith Hapmouche said:

I'd be more concerned if you had placed your computer next to a radiator on full heat.

What's your fear what might happen?

No radiators in this house there are air vents and air ducks or whatever there called but not the older radiators

I was watching Netflix when I seen it blur a few times thought it was the air purifier then remembered it's a Netflix issue

4 hours ago, Esmeraldazs said:

Regarding the comment about reading the manual. Almost all manuals can be found on the web - usually in pdf format. Google is your friend.

My air filter (smaller than yours) is about six feet from my desktop tower and has been for most of a decade (different towers) with no issues). 

And yes, there are mos people watching Netflix now and more people on their computers in general.  I have had a video stop on me and I have a good bandwidth for my area.

and the comment about "why are you asking here?" makes a lot of sense to me. Why not just type your question into your favorite search engine. That usually solves most problems and answers most questions.  

• Thanks 1

I own a air purifier, they typically are nothing more than a fan with a special HEPA filter, and maybe a UVC bulb and ionizer.

While my purifier is on the other side of my room near my bed, I would be pretty confident putting it next to my computer. The fan motor does not produce enough of a magnetic field, and it only contains a UVC bulb.

However, if the fan contains a ionizer, I would be careful putting it next to a computer. There does not appear to be any solid evidence whether or not ionizers will cause issues with electronics, but people will argue both sides. I personally will er on the side of caution and not put a ionizer near sensitive electronics. The reason being, is ionizers will charge particles in the air with a negative electrostatic charge, which may or may not make stuff more susceptible to electrostatic discharge(The thing that you feel after rubbing your socks on carpet and touching someone). Computers do not like electrostatic discharge, which is why a lot of us in the IT industry will wear ESD/Grounding/Anti-static straps(basically grounds us to the computer, preventing a electrostatic discharge).

With where your computer is relative to the fan, it is pretty far apart and should not cause any issues even if it had an ionizer. If you wish to move it closer, I'd say check to see if it has a ionizer, and if it doesn't, feel free to move it where you like. If it does have a ionizer, I'd be careful, but that is just me.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I'd be more worried having dirty laundry right next to where I sit and having only one monitor 🙂 

It's not right next to where I sit it's about 3 foot lengths from my couch and 4 to 5 from where I sit so might want to try again and who said it was dirty?? For all you know it could be clean.

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Regarding the comment about reading the manual. Almost all manuals can be found on the web - usually in pdf format. Google is your friend.

My air filter (smaller than yours) is about six feet from my desktop tower and has been for most of a decade (different towers) with no issues). 

And yes, there are mos people watching Netflix now and more people on their computers in general.  I have had a video stop on me and I have a good bandwidth for my area.

and the comment about "why are you asking here?" makes a lot of sense to me. Why not just type your question into your favorite search engine. That usually solves most problems and answers most questions.  

I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual online about it

28 minutes ago, Esmeraldazs said:

I couldn't find anything in the owner's manual online about it

Right. It's highly unlikely your air filter manual would mention interaction/interference with a computer, as it simply doesn't happen. Alwin might not understand this.

Your particular filter contains only a blower and a filter cartridge. You can place it as close to your computer as you wish, there will be no issue.

Chaser's concern over ionizing air filters has some small basis in fact. In factories that produce sensitive electronics, it is standard procedure to ionize facility air to reduce the accumulation of static charge on surfaces. Industrial air ionization systems produce equal amounts of positive and negative ions and do not generally remove particulates. That's the domain of air filtration systems.

Home ionic air purifiers produced primarily negative ions. Those ions commingle with dust particles, giving them a net negative charge. That produces an attraction between the dust and nearby surfaces, which often are at lower electrostatic potential. Negative ion systems use other objects in the room as filter material, and your computer would be one of those objects, attracting dust out of the air. The net effect would be less dust in the air, and more dust in your computer.

There may be some small increase in the amount of static electric shock moving people in the room can generate, but I'd not be terribly worried about that. Wintertime humidification generally solves that (and other) problems in the home.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.