Looking for Avatars Unafraid to Connect to RL Identities

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I started a little discussion group -- little, because of the one simple reason I want this group to have: you must link your real-life name and SL avatar to be in the group and come to the discussions.

While there is a certain set of people who make this linkage in SL with RL -- mainly scholars or educators or game devs or something "meta" to SL, it's certainly not the norm.

There are a zillion groups in SL; there are a zillion events; everybody can do what they want. As I make this request, I'm sure there will be those who will respond and complain -- as if they were somehow asked to do this themselves, which of course, they are not.

But what I would like to do is to talk to people whose RL location, background, education, profession etc. is open and established. 

It's very hard to debate people especially on the forums who are anonymous, and about whom you cannot understand anything.

It gets really tedious. I truly get the advantage of having the "equalizing" effect of SL (it really isn't that) and the "freedom" of anonymity (which more often than not leads to abuse).

Even so, I would like to try this search. And by RL connection, I don't mean that you link to a virtually blank blogspot that supposedly links to your RL name, like someone who's name is like the sun here. You have to be unabashedly connected because it doesn't bother you to be connected.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

what are the garantees not be fried on your blog, just this time with real name?

This right here..is the main reason why most people will not do it. When someone is known to blog about things and has used that blog for satire it can be a very big reason why no one or very few would trust giving the information requested.

This sounds less about making friends, but more about looking for those people they can dox to others on an outside source unregulated by LL.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

what are the garantees not be fried on your blog, just this time with real name?

If you don't behave badly, you won't be called out on my blog. Example of behaving badly: going into a thread started by someone who is black and gay and looking for black and gay hangouts and friends and picking a fight with them.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

This right here..is the main reason why most people will not do it. When someone is known to blog about things and has used that blog for satire it can be a very big reason why no one or very few would trust giving the information requested.

This sounds less about making friends, but more about looking for those people they can dox to others on an outside source unregulated by LL.

I've never "doxed" anyone in my life. Meanwhile, I have been harassed and bullied for the entire 16 years I've been in SL by others who not only dox me, they think nothing of harassing my elderly mother-in-law or children. Because I simply documented and criticized their griefing and bad behaviour on world -- which is really the only recourse we have in a world without the rule of law or independent press or judiciary.

Why would I use the forums to trawl for people to "dox"?! That's absurd on the face it. To what end? I have no need to find strangers who aren't interested in connecting their RL personas and "outing" them. The call here is for people who *already* link their RL and SL identities publicly for professional or personal reasons and don't care about this need for privacy, which is of course to be respected, and has never been respected for me since the earliest days in SL when I did *not* link my identities, but *Lindens* and their alts and friends outed them -- Lindens who no longer work at LL now, and not only for that reason.

I don't expect much from the forums. I have many contacts in SL inworld of people who never, ever go on the toxic forums and just aren't interested in them. There are some I have met in RL and we know each others' identities -- and PS that's because they are *already linked publicly*. So those are the people I have discussions with *already*. I'm just happy to open it up to anyone else, and for the simple reason that I really, really am tired of trying to debate people in SL whose level of education, political affiliations in RL, location, experience are all black boxes. This does not afford you the ideal, pristine world of ideas that you imagine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Example of behaving badly: going into a thread started by someone who is black and gay and looking for black and gay hangouts and friends and picking a fight with them.

who did that?.. as far i remember somebody only refered to something that happened lot of times here in the past.

YOU however ... well people can see the themself on your blog how kind you are, it's really not that strange you meet those people, and it's not only meet, but also when they don't agree to your absurdities here on the forum.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But what I would like to do is to talk to people whose RL location, background, education, profession etc. is open and established. 

I do know the concept of "If real names are involved, people should tend to be nicer" (although its reliability is questionable). But what do these other informations do for you? What does change, if you know you are talking to Miriam Smith, age 55, elementary school teacher from Dallas or Björn Jensen, age 31, cook from Aarhus?

Or do I have to understand by this here:

20 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's very hard to debate people especially on the forums who are anonymous, and about whom you cannot understand anything.

that you are going to judge people on what they reveal about themselves and use it against them in discussions? Or do you think people will agree more with you, if you have them "by the balls" with their RL information?

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It gets really tedious. I truly get the advantage of having the "equalizing" effect of SL (it really isn't that) and the "freedom" of anonymity (which more often than not leads to abuse).

And how are you sure they don't lie about the RL too? Ask for Id's? real phone number? don't tell me Facebook, because any social network can be faked as sl . btw, my name is Hermione Granger, can you say is not?

• Haha 1

Again.. as I said earlier I smell a foul fish in all of this asking for such information. And like another poster said. People could always fake the so called rl information, and it would be very hard to prove unless you expect them to give over government issue id's as well as proof. Which would be down right stupid and foolish of anyone to do.

I am Drakonadrgora the Imperial StarDragonness I am 666 trillion years old. I come from another dimension. Prove me wrong... you cant...

Sounds more and more like you just want information on people to hold it against them so they cannot argue or disagree with you or risk being posted about on your blog as being an indecent person.

You are well known for posting satirical posts about anyone that you disagree with about how they behave towards you. your attempts to public shame people are well known about. You see yourself as some great person of high morals or ethics but your not.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

33 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Again.. as I said earlier I smell a foul fish in all of this asking for such information. And like another poster said. People could always fake the so called rl information, and it would be very hard to prove unless you expect them to give over government issue id's as well as proof. Which would be down right stupid and foolish of anyone to do.

I am Drakonadrgora the Imperial StarDragonness I am 666 trillion years old. I come from another dimension. Prove me wrong... you cant...

Sounds more and more like you just want information on people to hold it against them so they cannot argue or disagree with you or risk being posted about on your blog as being an indecent person.

You are well known for posting satirical posts about anyone that you disagree with about how they behave towards you. your attempts to public shame people are well known about. You see yourself as some great person of high morals or ethics but your not.

Um, I'm not asking for any information. I'm asking for people who ALREADY PUBLICLY link their SL avatar and RL identity to come to a discussion group. Pretty simple concept, unless you are an anonymous vicious sniper filled with ill will.

I don't need anyone's real-life information. It's also not "easy to fake". You know, if you are an educator, writer, journalist, actor, etc. etc. you are often already linked in RL and SL. Even if you're not anyone prominent, you might have a long-time blog you have run, or you simply have a university page or a Facebook page that is easily determined to be real -- often because you are in business in SL and are responsible to your customers. I guess all these concepts are alien to you, but you're not the one being invited to this group since you're anonymous and don't link your RL identity, hello.

I am a person of fairly high morals. Meanwhile, you are showing yourself to be a prevaricator. I think naming and shaming bad actors like griefers and scammers and people who attempt to rip off others or threaten them for no valid reason are good things and beneficial to SL and I'll go right on doing it, thank you very much. You're not required to read my posts or my blog and you can block me if they upset you so much.

The degree to which people in this thread such as Kweopi are engaging in "whataboutism" is illustrative of the ill will they bring to a simple exercise. Most people who are either public figures, or not shy about publicly stating their opinion on social media, or who are educators or journalists or some other kind of professional, or who are in business in RL and speak to the media don't need to engage in all these fakes. There's always someone like that Hero Sun who tries to make a fake blog with a common name to see if he can "sneak by" when a requirement, say, on a blog comments system, is that you must link to a RL identity. People like that are easily seen through and you just block them. Good will is usually pretty easy to tell; bad will shines through as it does in spades in this thread : )

It's not true that identity forces people to be nicer; they can be just as nasty especially if they are nobodies and no boss or any kind of restraint governs them on social media. If doesn't matter if someone puts down that they are Sarah Smith of Golders Green, age 63, retired housewife, and that "doesn't tell you anything". If she has a presence on SL or a blog or some kind of professional connection, perhaps she's in a hiking club, then you are that much ahead in trying to debate the issues of the day with her.

I imagine none of you know who Sarah Smith of Golders Green is, and never will, but be assured you are not her.

Edited by Prokofy Neva

continue to defend yourself and you continue to prove my point for me. those who have nothing to hide have no reason to defend either.

and name and shame is against tos, which is why you do it on your blog because you cant here. and no name and shame is not a beneficial service unless you see yourself as some glorious white knight trying to protect the innocent and the weak, which no-one ever asked you to do.

No you do not have high morals or ethics or else you would not need to name and shame others that you disagree about how they behave. you are just trying to make yourself sound better than what you are, but you are not fooling anyone. You are just trying to find reasons to justify what you do to make it sound like a valid reason even if its not.

And yes it is very easy to fake anything on the internet. It is simple to create a fake personal or business Facebook page, a fake blog, a fake wiki a fake anything. The fact you think people cant do it easily proves how little you really understand the internet.

Any good story writer could come up with dozens of accounts and fake identities to try and make themselves look original. Hell even on these forums people use sock puppets to boost their own ratings to make them look more impressive than they really are.

I don't care if i'm not invited to your little cliche group discussion, I wouldn't attend even if I was invited. I know very well who you are and how you act toward anyone that you personally decide not to like.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1475 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.