Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Very recent. Carnegie-Mellon University study, and before anyone yells, it states it many times in the article: correlation is not causation. But... kind of hard to look away from this ONE of many many many studies. Luna likes listing studies. I'll volunteer her and others to do a list all you non-believers won't read because of the sources...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/10/23/pandemic-data-chart-masks/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Radonovich, L.J. et al., N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza Among Health Care Personnel: A Randomized Clinical Trial, JAMA. 2019; 322(9): 824–833. doi:10.1001/jama.2019.11645, 2019. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2749214

“Among 2862 randomized participants, 2371 completed the study and accounted for 5180 HCW-seasons. … Among outpatient health care personnel, N95 respirators vs medical masks as worn by participants in this trial resulted in no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza.”

They are comparing MASKS...they are not comparing wearing a mask vs not wearing one.

5 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Seriously? You cannot google on your own and find them? It took about 30 seconds to come up with pages of hits, and do I want to read through each and every one of them because you are being stubborn and perverse? Nope, I do not want.

They are there. They are quite available. There are some going back to early this year and some very recent.

You made yourself out to be the sciencey person by calling out conservatives as being anti science so am assuming you have read all the proper studies that support your position. Share the knowledge!

1 minute ago, Gatogateau said:

I just got "hit" with something rather unreal inworld. I can't really explain it here, and if you IM me you'll find it is even more confusing, but if you TP me to where we can talk in local...

:D

Seriously, I think I'd rather have a ball gag (and depending upon the type, they can taste really icky).

Hard to lick boots with a ball gag.....just saying.

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

[Recent studies] found that about a third of the [healthcare] workers developed headaches with use of the mask, most had preexisting headaches that were worsened by the mask wearing, and 60% required pain medications for relief. As to the cause of the headaches, while straps and pressure from the mask could be causative, the bulk of the evidence points toward hypoxia and/or hypercapnia as the cause. That is, a reduction in blood oxygenation (hypoxia) or an elevation in blood C02 (hypercapnia).

It is known that the N95 mask, if worn for hours, can reduce blood oxygenation as much as 20%, which can lead to a loss of consciousness.

See also Denis G. Rancourt, PhD, Masks Don't Work: A review of science relevant to COVID-19 social policy, Ontario Civil Liberties Association, April 11, 2020. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/340570735

https://www.truthorfiction.com/theres-no-new-evidence-face-masks-pose-health-risks-to-healthy-people-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You made yourself out to be the sciencey person by calling out conservatives as being anti science so am assuming you have read all the proper studies that support your position. Share the knowledge!

Trumpers are anti-science, not conservatives. At least not 1:1.

And yes, I understand science.

I understand kindergarten hygiene techniques, too, as I've outlined elsewhere.

And as I said, I really have no desire to comb through the MYRIAD of studies out there. I've read my share. I did not bookmark them. I'm smarter than a turnip; I know basic hygiene works. As do basic protection methods. Fool proof? No, and I've discussed that too, as have others (including increase viral load).

Don't wear a mask = fool.

Edited by Gatogateau

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
12 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Seriously? You cannot google on your own and find them? It took about 30 seconds to come up with pages of hits, and do I want to read through each and every one of them because you are being stubborn and perverse? Nope, I do not want.

They are there. They are quite available. There are some going back to early this year and some very recent.

It's Trumpism that is anti-science. Unfortunately those left in the Republican party are his minions and believe as he does -- it truly is a cult. The sane conservatives formed the Lincoln project trying to get their party back.

Here, see what Trump thinks about Science:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Hard to lick boots with a ball gag.....just saying.

But NOT impossible. Licking is definitely greatly impaired, and it would require an ill-fitting ball, but I'm pretty sure a determined cat or person could find a way. Now there's plenty of drool...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's Trumpism that is anti-science. Unfortunately those left in the Republican party are his minions and believe as he does -- it truly is a cult. The sane conservatives formed the Lincoln project trying to get their party back.

You'll be saying the same about the next Republican leader as you did about the previous ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You'll be saying the same about the next Republican leader as you did about the previous ones.

I don't know about she-who-shall-not-be-named (although I accidentally did above in the volunteering of the study listings), but that is not necessarily the case for all of us libtarbs. If the GOP stays in its Trumpism frenzy, then yup, I bet we all will say the same about the next "leader." If not, then we shall see. I still wouldn't vote for Romney or McCain (if he were still alive, although I once might have) but people of their ilk are NOT anti-science. Anti other things, yes, but last I heard not anti-science nor education.

*This* so-called leader, with his ridiculous comments about injecting bleach, not wearing masks, not believing Dr. Fauci, on and on and zomg ON, has done a lot of damage via covid non-response.

There is no way to separate the political side of that. And discussing anything other the covid/politics is outside the topic of this thread.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You're projecting and stereotyping me.

If Trump had not displayed authoritarian tendencies, respected the rule of law, and supported social service programs (like health insurance), I would have held my nose and voted for him despite his misogynistic orange narcissistic head.

I kind of liked Bush, W, and felt sort of sorry for him in that he did not have the ability to speak well, as speaking/writing is actually a talent and not always indicative of intelligence.  He's kind of right-brained and taking up painting fit his personality overall.  I didn't vote for him though, as his policies disfavored the less powerful in society.

If I'm in any battle, it's not the 'conservative vs liberal' shtick....I never even liked sports.......my battle is for the 'little guy', the one who is abused by the more powerful.

Edited by Luna Bliss

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes I did and am not sorry as it pushed you to share something about yourself I don't normally see in your postings in this forum, though I do remember seeing signs of what you said in another forum a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes I did and am not sorry as it pushed you to share something about yourself I don't normally see in your postings in this forum, though I do remember seeing signs of what you said in another forum a few years ago.

Not sure what to make of this...

17 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

If I'm in any battle, it's not the 'conservative vs liberal' shtick....I never even liked sports.......my battle is for the 'little guy', the one who is abused by the more powerful.

Yes, same as me in that regard except in this case I see the little guy as the other side though myself I tend towards left of center....whatever that means anymore.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes, same as me in that regard except in this case I see the little guy as the other side though myself I tend towards left of center....whatever that means anymore.

How is 'the little guy' the other side from you?

What will become of America? Can the Lincoln Project people, former Republicans, break the cult spell the Trumpies live in, and bring back sanity?

Good news -- Trump finally released funds for the new administration, so the Biden team can hit the ground running and deal with this Covid crisis more effectively.

Edited by Luna Bliss

I was scanning back through the link I posted above and looking at the article's photo. I also mentioned above that mask efficacy depends on idjits knowing how to wear a mask. (You wouldn't think it would be that hard.)

Look at this. Of the 10 people clearly wearing a mask, 2 if not 3 of them are wearing them wrong! At first I thought it was two, #5 and #8, but as I was drawing the circles, I'm not so sure that #4 is wearing it over or under his nose. (under is wrong, folks) I also noticed this photo was taken in Belgium, which, I dunno, is probably neither here nor there?

ETA: The numbering and circles are my additions.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Gatogateau

1 minute ago, Gatogateau said:
24 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

How is 'the little guy' the other side from you?

off topic

I'm wanting to bring it around to the 'little guy' suffering so much more with Covid, but I can't quite do that if I don't know why she'd think the 'little guy' is separate from herself..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.