HEY GRANDPA! WHAT'S FOR SUPPER?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, I’m bumping it again...time for BRUNCH!

fritatta, spinach and bacon...stuffed zucchini with Italian sausage and roasted asparagus, roasted carrots with fleur de sel and lots of cheap pepper I’m trying to use up. 🤣 As long as the oven is on, might as well fill it. The fritatta was big and I also baked stuffed mushrooms for lunch and that fills both racks. It was also chilly this morning so it heated the kitchen just enough. We have a big gas heater for the central heating in the house which is an energy hog so baking warms the house. In warmer weather, I have a smol toaster oven and I mostly do not bake much big stuff. Almost time to make the switch. 

(bitches love brunch!) 🥰

2F26BF8E-094C-4CCB-B833-CF1B8353BCD5.jpeg

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 2

I’m going on a pork roast adventure today. I allowed substitutions in my grocery order for meat because we’re iffy on what’s in stock from day to day and pickup and delivery times are on a 5 day delay here still.
So I have a cut of pork I’ve never cooked before. Wish me 🍀
The beef pot roast cubed, marinated and stir fried did turn out well Friday so I’m hoping for 2 for 2. 

• Like 2

I just found this terrific link (Thanks Washington Post!). There's a cookbook out there called "Good and Cheap" and it won the James Beard Award in 2015. It is about eating for about $4 per day, and for people on SNAP benefits (food stamps). You can buy it on Amazon BUT it is now available as a free pdf in both English and Spanish.  The recipes look really yummy, not just the usual "buy crap in bulk" suggestions for eating cheaply. 

And while it isn't for dinner tonight, as I'm going to let the chicken marinate overnight, tomorrow I'll have the Filipino Chicken Adobo from the pdf version. :)

image.thumb.png.fa473baeedcfbde7e72075034d1ebbea.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 4:45 PM, Seicher Rae said:

Fauve, everything looked really great but I'm curious about the tea(?) coffee(?).  How do you make the little colored circles of what is it?

image.png.1d06626269840ccbf14adb130e4c0218.png

In Line Camera 😉

A recent thing. I grew some pea shoots...

Filling is masago and Greek yogurt, underneath is a sprinkle of wasabi fumi furikake

9A00DEE0-F850-4415-88C8-15245C4F98AA.jpeg

Double dip. I also have these few little lettuces but they are being so slow...I am going to plant a zillion more in a wide pot and just harvest them as babies and nom them up before they have time to bolt. 

B98F0D13-2B58-425A-9BBD-07E7BFA88ABB.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 5:42 PM, Seicher Rae said:

I just found this terrific link (Thanks Washington Post!). There's a cookbook out there called "Good and Cheap" and it won the James Beard Award in 2015. It is about eating for about $4 per day, and for people on SNAP benefits (food stamps). You can buy it on Amazon BUT it is now available as a free pdf in both English and Spanish.  The recipes look really yummy, not just the usual "buy crap in bulk" suggestions for eating cheaply. 

And while it isn't for dinner tonight, as I'm going to let the chicken marinate overnight, tomorrow I'll have the Filipino Chicken Adobo from the pdf version. :)

image.thumb.png.fa473baeedcfbde7e72075034d1ebbea.png

i am drooling for real over this.. damn

Pork roast. Half-loin roasts were back at the grocery so I spiced one end with basil pesto, the other with cumin, red chile and garlic and made an unseasonal red/green Christmas roast. Quizzing the other half on which side he liked best. The jury is still out. 
...also made a bleu cheese and Brussels sprouts slaw. It holds its own with the pork. Blanching the halved sprouts before slicing them finer makes it slightly less belligerent but keeps the crunch. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1473 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.