Nvidia card not working in laptop...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got a new laptop and no matter what I try Firestorm and any other SL viewer won't load due to the error "Firestorm is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them." 

I have the latest driver installed and have tried reinstalling at least 10 times. I've tried google searching and checking both the help pages here and on firestorm. Nothing I've tried is working. Firestorm is in my firewall whitelists as well. Any advice would be very welcome as i am getting very frustrated.

Oh I have a Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti graphics card on a Dell laptop running Windows 10 64 bit.

2 minutes ago, Wyona Steamweaver said:

I got a new laptop and no matter what I try Firestorm and any other SL viewer won't load due to the error "Firestorm is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them." 

I have the latest driver installed and have tried reinstalling at least 10 times. I've tried google searching and checking both the help pages here and on firestorm. Nothing I've tried is working. Firestorm is in my firewall whitelists as well. Any advice would be very welcome as i am getting very frustrated.

Oh I have a Nvidia GeForce 1050 Ti graphics card on a Dell laptop running Windows 10 64 bit.

Disclaimer.. I am not technical at all but try this

right click on your desktop

choose  Nvidia Control panel

this should open as the pic below

choose Programme settings

and firestorm from the drop down  and then Add 

see if that helps

daba0459c02162a584f9fa99e6f49783.png

Completely uninstall firestorm with something like Revo Uninstaller, gets rid of everything firestorm that ever was.

https://www.revouninstaller.com/products/revo-uninstaller-free/

Then use DDU to purge your Nvidia drivers.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then try to reinstall both firestorm and your Nvidia drivers.

If you have integrated graphics, you have a 1050ti so you probably have a Kaby Lake or Coffee Lake processor with Intel HD620, you might want to try updating those as well, and seeing if firestorm is just trying to run on the integrated graphics instead.

What you can do then is disable the Intel HD graphics in their control panel on the taskbar system tray. Then try to run firestorm.

If that doesn’t work, you can attempt to disable the integrated graphics at a higher level, enter the bios before boot and look around for the integrated graphics controls or standard graphics adapter and disable Intel HD620 at the bios level.

This could do two things, one is it works fine but now your battery life is crippled by using the 1050ti all the time. But this would take the igp out of the picture entirely. Result two is that the windows install is configured to exclusively run in gpu switching mode and you won’t get anything without HD620 working, in which case you’d have to go back to the bios and reverse the change.

Thats all I can really think this is, is that you have dgpu abs igpu conflicting on a system that has both because it doesn’t know to switch to dgpu when you start firestorm.

Definitely out of my techie league but someone wrote recently that if you computer comes with both a Nvidia card as well as an integrated card that you need to go into the Nvidia panel and turn that ON as the default is the integrated card.   So something along those lines might be the issue. 

Good luck.  

2 hours ago, Wyona Steamweaver said:

Not sure how to put in command line parameters.

Right click the icon on the desktop and select Properties.  On the "Target" line in the Shortcut tab, add --probe to the end of whatever is there.  If the last thing on the line is the ".exe" itself, be sure the --no-probe is outside of the quotes after the exe.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Try this: Device Manager > Display Adapters. Right click on Intel Integrated Graphics > Disable device

If problems still there (only applies to Dell laptop )

If your are not technical, get help from a friend or family member and:

Update the BIOS to 1.15.1 or newer
After reboot, install the Dell Intel Chipset driver 10.1.17541.8066 or better  and reboot
Install the Dell Intel GPU driver 26.20.100.7262 or better and reboot
Install the Dell Nvidia driver 26.21.14.4145 or better and reboot

Wyona, I think you are reaching the point where you have to take the laptop to a tech shop and ask them to look at it

it might be that the laptop hardware is broken somehow, or it may be that the laptop needs a OS reinstall, or something

the tech shop will tell you if so. If not broken then they should be able to get it working as it should. If the hardware is broken and is brandnew and/or still under warranty then you should be able to get a replacement laptop or parts

On 2/23/2020 at 2:53 PM, Mollymews said:

Wyona, I think you are reaching the point where you have to take the laptop to a tech shop and ask them to look at it

it might be that the laptop hardware is broken somehow, or it may be that the laptop needs a OS reinstall, or something

the tech shop will tell you if so. If not broken then they should be able to get it working as it should. If the hardware is broken and is brandnew and/or still under warranty then you should be able to get a replacement laptop or parts

There are way more steps to take before you pay someone else some obscene amount of money to tell you it’s some dumb software issue or send it back on warranty.

Boot up any other game, something that tells you what it’s using, Minecraft works if you have it, but if you don’t then just boot up Furmark or the Heaven benchmark tool and run the test and see what results you’re getting and what it’s using. 
If the 1050 shows up and even functions then it’s fine, it’s a windows or firestorm issue.

Im still pretty positive it’s a gpu switching problem because they probably have igp alongside the 1050.

Run firestorm on a bootable Linux usb or something and see if it starts, then you know if it’s windows or not, or if it’s the windows version of the viewer.

Taking it to a computer shop for something like this is exactly why they charge 100$+ to fix these types of problems, they’re expecting you to not bother and just pay whatever. It’ll take them like 5 minutes tops, if I had your laptop in front of me I could figure it out and be done with it in similar time.

Edited by cheesecurd

3 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

Taking it to a computer shop for something like this is exactly why they charge 100$+ to fix these types of problems, they’re expecting you to not bother and just pay whatever. It’ll take them like 5 minutes tops, if I had your laptop in front of me I could figure it out and be done with it in similar time.

yes, no doubt you could

thing is that we are not all like you.  Some stuff we know and can fix ourselves. Other stuff we don't know and we get somebody who does know to fix it for us.  Know a friend who knows and they will do for free, don't know a friend who knows then we pay for it

7 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes, no doubt you could

thing is that we are not all like you.  Some stuff we know and can fix ourselves. Other stuff we don't know and we get somebody who does know to fix it for us.  Know a friend who knows and they will do for free, don't know a friend who knows then we pay for it

And that’s why you ask the internet. Because all those people who do know are on the internet. It’s just a lot harder to get things done on a delay, over text only, without having the actual machine in front of us.

But regardless having only tried a few small things here in this thread, there’s still a lot more that can be done to troubleshoot.

Can you run a session on Firestorm that fails to launch with the video driver error.
Then close the viewer.
Then zip up the Firestorm logs folder - how to find your logs: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/file_a_jira#how_to_give_us_your_logs

Upload the logs.zip somewhere & send me the link.  You can PM me the link if you prefer or send to my email: whirly.fizzle at phoenixviewer dot com.

47 minutes ago, cheesecurd said:

And that’s why you ask the internet. Because all those people who do know are on the internet.

Those people who think they know but don't are there too.

(Don't get me wrong - it's not like there aren't people who think they know and don't in computer shops as well.)

23 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Those people who think they know but don't are there too.

(Don't get me wrong - it's not like there aren't people who think they know and don't in computer shops as well.)

this is true yes sometimes about people in shops

same when take your car to a repair garage.  Pick the wrong garage and  can end up having to go to another garage to fix the original issue and fix the new issues that the first garage created

On 2/25/2020 at 1:03 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

Can you run a session on Firestorm that fails to launch with the video driver error.
Then close the viewer.
Then zip up the Firestorm logs folder - how to find your logs: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/file_a_jira#how_to_give_us_your_logs

Upload the logs.zip somewhere & send me the link.  You can PM me the link if you prefer or send to my email: whirly.fizzle at phoenixviewer dot com.

It doesn't let me run Firestorm at all. It's in the beginning part when it checks hardware that it says the error.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1571 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.