Where do people post their SL pictures these days?

Conifer Dada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5b9fe3011982d784c927c3ad3fa85a3c.png.eb588c3e1410f8b0aa46fc2dd3299326.png

That's probably a very small percentage of all the SL screen shots uploaded to Flickr that either do ot do not have the tag "second life" associated to them.

I'd say that SL screen shots uploaded to Flickr is an entire internet ecosystem on its own.To a point that non-SL photographers are starting to complain.

49a324f06ef4e25c47b0c8bb158d8309.png.7fd7c06fb115487184fcd04350d25051.png

Luckily for SLlers, the Flickr staff considers taking screen shots in SL to be 'photography' as much as taking pictures with a real camera.

Flickr is great for uploading, annotating, sharing (embedding in blogs) and managing large, hi-res pictures. The community is also the largest by far, compared to other SL picture-sharing media. It has it's quirks, such as GUI inconsistencies on their account management web pages, but there are literally thousands of SLlers who are willing to pay premium for Flickr.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 3

I use Discord for picture sharing now, infinite pictures up to 8mb size per file (unless you are Nitro) and previously i used Google Picasa, offering infinite pictures at any size too but when they ran out of character combinations for their links and turned links into a quadrillion meter long link i switched because it was annoying as hell for others.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Luckily for SLlers, the Flickr staff considers taking screen shots in SL to be 'photography' as much as taking pictures with a real camera.

Not always, a lot of SL photographers and bloggers have had pictures taken down due to being the wrong 'kind' of image, with the moderators claiming that they should be uploaded as 'screenshots' rather than photographs or 'pictures'. The discourse on this subject has been pretty confusing though, as some say that 'it doesn't apply if you've edited it', whilst others claim that their pictures are still taken down even when edited.

I've never had any trouble with it myself though, and I generally just don't touch any of the upload options. An image with the name 'screenshot' in it will automatically be changed to a 'screenshot' by Flickr - and I've occasionally been unable to add such shots into SL groups because the SL groups have been set to not allow 'screenshots'. To me the whole thing just feels pointless, I don't see how it should matter.

On the same subject, I've hilariously had SL groups that are explicitly explicit reject pictures because I bothered to mark them as 'moderate' or 'adult' (or whatever it is Flickr call those settings); this is obviously user error as whoever put the group together just ticked the wrong boxes, though. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:31 PM, Matty Luminos said:

Well, y'all have inspired me to start a proper blog. I should have done this years ago.

https://mattiluminos.wordpress.com/

Not much there yet, just a bit of an intro.

Added you to my blog roll Matty, if that's alright. 🙂

~Vael

Edited by flowersforkain
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 4:55 AM, Matty Luminos said:

Profile feeds are pretty useless, you can only post raw snapshots taken real-time in world, and they are a maximum 1024 x 768. You can't take a larger pic, edit it and re-upload it.

I still post some to the feed, and yes, they are pretty useless because they are usually borked in some manner. It is true that only raw photos can be posted, which is what I take and post anyway 99% of the time, here or on Flickr or wherever. BUT you CAN take a bigger shot and post it, you are not limited to 1024 x 768. I shoot much larger than that. Now... again, the feed is often borked and so a huge format photo may not load properly, but it can be done... whims of the gods permitting. LL went to all the trouble, ticked off a lot of people at the time, to acquire the feed technology and then they just let it rot. If they maintained it properly and updated to truly be more like Facebook for SL then they'd have a lot of people using it is my guess, especially with the problems with Flickr.

• Like 1

The problem with posting photos to blogs is then as a viewer you have to navigate to umpteen blogs to see who posted what. I don't even visit individual pages in Flickr too often, choosing to view the "people" version on my page and hope the Flickr gods are keeping up with the new additions of those that I follow. I do think the idea of everyone posting to blogs is amusing for those people with 100 photos of the same shot who somehow have 8K followers on Flickr and they "follow" 8K. See what happens when they would switch to a private blog.

I was glad someone posted the new requirements about no links to blogs etc with the photos unless you have a Pro account. Did not know that. Like others have said, Flickr seems to be financially on the way out, and then what? Sigh. Need to check into Discord, I guess? Ugh. Instagram? Double ugh.

• Like 1

Well, I have reactivated my Snapzilla account (omg the last pic I posted there was 10 years ago) so I have started to duplicate there what I'm currently also posting to Flickr. It seems to me that Snapzilla is the best alternative; though it lacks groups that people can join and post to.

• Like 2

On 2/21/2020 at 10:55 AM, Matty Luminos said:

Profile feeds are pretty useless, you can only post raw snapshots taken real-time in world, and they are a maximum 1024 x 768. You can't take a larger pic, edit it and re-upload it.

That's not true. You can take larger pictures. I got several 4k pictures on my feed. You just can't edit them which is good. Realtime inworld pictures can be super beautiful.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.