I've got a bridge to sell you...

Tolya Ugajin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Tari Landar said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

* Child car, health care, and a college education are very important!  Vital.   It's like you can't grasp the main points of this discussion and so you're spreading out unneeded thoughts to prove minor points like an uncontrolled cancer...   Context!

Because you keep lying about those points. WE DO OFFER FREE CHILDCARE TO THE WORKING POOR.

There, was that loud enough?

I literally signed four families up today for it. 

I'm not lying about anything. They don't get free child care where I live, so I suspect it differs from state to state. This needs to be federal. 

• Like 1

Often the working poor (who qualify for Obamacare) won't get treatment because of the high deductibles and co-pays. It depends on the plan one has, but the ones with lower deductibles cost a lot more....and some can't afford that monthly payment.

We need health care like Europe has.  If you get sick you go to the doctor and know you're covered.

In some thread somewhere recently, there were some sarcastic comments about people posting IBTL.

HOWEVER, this thread is so far off track, it has jumped the ocean to other continents.

Thus............... IBTL............ because it will either get locked or 75% of the entire thread will be deleted along with a Mod warning.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

In some thread somewhere recently, there were some sarcastic comments about people posting IBTL.

HOWEVER, this thread is so far off track, it has jumped the ocean to other continents.

Thus............... IBTL............ because it will either get locked or 75% of the entire thread will be deleted along with a Mod warning.

I'm not sure there has been a thread that did not derail some.  It's when people start name-calling then the thread gets reported. I haven't seen that, unless you mean Tolya calling me comrade?  He was just jesting.

It's just an intense, and important, debate -- about how to provide benefits to suffering people.  We have to define the reality before suggesting solutions.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

lol this hasn't gotten nasty at all, so I can't imagine it getting locked.  Besides, it's my darned thread I'll derail it if I want 😛

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I do, but I charge a WHOLE lot for it, because I'm a true capitalist (not a neoliberal)     :)

Good!  It drives my girl crazy but, whenever I search on MP, I always sort price high to low because I generally figure better product costs more and what costs more is more likely to be better product.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not lying about anything. They don't get free child care where I live, so I suspect it differs from state to state. This needs to be federal. 

It IS federal and yes, they very much do, whether or not people use it, may differ, but it's a federal program.

The state handles only doling the funds out(just like they do pretty much every other federally funded assistance program, they're the middle man, but the programs are all federally funded). There are some links you;ll find online about it, a lot have outdated information regarding which states, but most of the other information is pretty accurate. 

Every single state in the US receives this funding for childcare assistance (that once wasn't the case, for a few states that never requested such, nor needed, for whatever reason, but that was decades ago)>  There are some states that have their own separate programs that don't come from federal funding, on top of the federal funding, dependent entirely on need, and a couple states only request the funding on an as needed, individual case basis, but it is available and offered to ALL states., no exceptions. 

Edited by Tari Landar

29 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

If it isn't subject to unbiased peer review it isn't "science data". Period. A lot of corporate lobbying, think tank spin and "political 'studies'" attempt to masquerade as "science data" but that doesn't make it so.

Difference is, she's unwilling to take the actual source data (government records) as fact, when it's as simple as "we spent this much".

Also, peer review ain't all it's cracked up to be, especially if the reviewers suffer from group think.  If your paper disagrees with "settled science", for instance, reviewers may very well reject it based simply on that.  Meanwhile absolute rubbish can get approved by peer review because, well, it sounds like I should agree with it:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/new-sokal-hoax/572212/

3 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:
29 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It IS federal and yes, they very much do, whether or not people use it, may differ, but it's a federal program.

From what I'm seeing it's means tested - a family can't have more than 10,000 savings to qualify, and there are income categories one must meet as well.

What we need is to simply get child care, automatic qualification,  like Europe does it (though they do have to pay some if wealthier, but not a lot).

21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not sure there has been a thread that did not derail some.  It's when people start name-calling then the thread gets reported. I haven't seen that, unless you mean Tolya calling me comrade?  He was just jesting.

It's just an intense, and important, debate -- about how to provide benefits to suffering people.  We have to define the reality before suggesting solutions.

17 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

lol this hasn't gotten nasty at all, so I can't imagine it getting locked.  Besides, it's my darned thread I'll derail it if I want 😛

We get threads locked or chopped up all the time simply for going way, way off of the original topic.  Things don't have to get nasty for moderation to happen.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

I've never heard of free child care as a federal program.  Is it some sort of subsidy program to help people meet the work requirements of welfare to work regs?

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

From what I'm seeing it's means tested - a family can't have more than 10,000 savings to qualify, and there are income categories one must meet as well.

What we need is to simply get child care, automatic qualification,  like Europe does it (though they do have to pay some if wealthier, but not a lot).

Why would a family with $10,000 in their savings account need childcare assistance in the first place? (that would disqualify them from a lot of programs, which are all NEED and income based, if you have $10k in savings, you're not in need right now). 

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Why would a family with $10,000 in their savings account need childcare assistance in the first place? (that would disqualify them from a lot of programs, which are all NEED and income based, if you have $10k in savings, you're not in need right now). 

I think a lot of our problem is that we're not specifying between the destitute poor vs the working poor -- the assistance and requirements differ for these 2 groups...

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah but... this one has kinda earned it.

What bugs me is how often I see, on the internet in general... someone post IBTL as basically an opinion on the actual topic before anything's gone on...

This thread...

I was hoping for a thread about sharing wonderful pics of Sl houses, and maybe a few jokes about avocados...

W

T

F

happened

Scared-Cat.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Also Dakota has told us not to discuss politics, for obvious reasons. But if no one reports it, I doubt any Lindens will act unless things blow up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

I've never heard of free child care as a federal program.  Is it some sort of subsidy program to help people meet the work requirements of welfare to work regs?

It has been in place since before I was even born actually, in one form or another. The main qualification is that the parent(both, if present, not simply one if both are present unless there is some medical reason that makes one parent incapable of caring for the child(ren)) must be working and/or attending a higher education at least 20 hours a week. 

The funding tends to come, primarily,  to the states in the form of Federal Child Care and Development Block grants, but is also funded by other federal funding collected in the form of taxes, etc..

The money is paid directly to the carer of the child(ren), so that it is used for that purpose and ONLY that purpose. 

It's actually a really good program, and a lot more people use it than people think. 

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think a lot of our problem is that we're not specifying between the destitute poor vs the working poor -- the assistance and requirements differ for these 2 groups...

Sometimes that distinction is very minute, almost invisible (and can make things very difficult)....but someone with $10k available to them right this moment that they can tap into, is not in need of most assistance right at that moment. 

If I, at any point when I have ever needed assistance, had $10k in ANY form in savings...I would not have ever applied for assistance, that would be taking away assistance from someone else that probably needed it more (and that in and of itself is a problem and contributes to us not having "more" assistance available). 

If I, at any point when I have ever needed assistance, had $10k in ANY form in savings...I would not have ever applied for assistance, that would be taking away assistance from someone else that probably needed it more (and that in and of itself is a problem and contributes to us not having "more" assistance available).

What if you had a boatload of avocados in your possession at the time though...would you still apply?

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

What if you had a boatload of avocados in your possession at the time though...would you still apply?

If I could sell them for what they're worth in stores here...I'd sell them :D  Then if I still needed assistance, I'd apply 😜 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.