I've got a bridge to sell you...

Tolya Ugajin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK, not really

I'm curious as to people's attitudes towards land ownership.  In RL, people tend to identify heavily with their homes, and I see some of it here in SL.

Do you own/rent SL land?  If so, how much?  How do you use it?  If you had a significant increase in RL finances, would you allocate some to owning more SL land?  If so, what would you do with it?

No, you will not receive a telemarketing call if you reply.  At least not from me.

I have one private sim (with the upgrade to 30,000 prims, and I took advantage of the buy-down tier rate years ago).  I got rid of my homestead a few months after the 30K prim upgrade became available because we realized we really had no need for it, we just created multiple levels on the full sim.  I doubt I will ever get rid of the sim.  I'd add another sim/homestead if I had someone (or multiple someones) who would manage it for a useful public purpose, but short of winning Powerball, I don't see a value in owning more than one (I'm too lazy to become a land baron).

Edited to add:  I bet many of your fellow Forumites would love to see pictures of your homes!

Edited by Tolya Ugajin
OMG - I was wondering why people were referencing RL land! I meant SL! Talk about your impactful typo!

I only own the 1024 (+ a bit extra from the 10% group bonus), that you get as a bonus for premium membership. I can't really afford more. Additional RL money goes towards additional RL living quality (looking for a new apartment this year). I use my small plot of land as my "home" and I tend to set up a different house every couple of months, as I love to decorate and get creative.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Syo Emerald said:

[...] I tend to set up a different house every couple of months, as I love to decorate and get creative.

Oh, look, you misspelled "days"! *ducks* 

Same as Syo, I have my Premium mainland plot, altough mine used to have the same face for the longest time. I did a mayor redo a few month ago where I have a "fixed" setup on groundlevel, and multiple "scenes" I can rezz in my skybox, connected with experience teleporter. I wish I could make my scenes rezz automatically, or from a drop down menu, but given that not everything is mod and/or copy, I have to do the ol' drag'n'drop from my inventory. 

I will not be able to afford a region ever, but if I suddenly won the lottery? BOY WOULD I GO BUCKWILD AND BUILD EVERYTHING! 

• Like 1

I have a premium account and I have a Linden Home with that, but I've done everything from owning mainland, renting, to roaming the grid as a homeless hobo. For now, I love my Bellisseria houseboat.

I don't see much value in owning a lot of land though, unless I was doing something public with it and getting sime kind of return for the investment.

• Like 1

I've really never had any interest in it, even back when I was totally immersed with a partner, job and various social circles. I think I just thought it would be too much of a time and money suck. I had a friend/play partner who made me do terrible things before I could cross the threshold of his, though. 

I also once accepted someone's invitation to go back to his. He opened the door to the living room and ushered me inside, at which point I fell through a hidden trapdoor straight into his dungeon. I was very impressed.

Come to think of it, I think it's because I prefer being a guest...

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Do you own/rent land?  If so, how much?  How do you use it?  If you had a significant increase in RL finances, would you allocate some to owning more RL land?  If so, what would you do with it?

I own one region of which I use a quarter to live in, and I let out the rest.  Sometimes it's full.  I've also just got hold of a Belli houseboat which I'll probably abandon this evening because it's really not my style.

Did you mean to say SL land?  If so then I'd buy a stonking big and beautiful new computer with which to enjoy what I have, although I'd be tempted to buy another region just for landscape and water.

I've had periods in SL where I've owned no land and I've had times where I've owned up to 1/4 region.  Currently, I have 4 Linden Homes and a piece of Mainland that is 2048 sqm plus roughly the 10% group bonus. 

At my Linden Homes, I play with decorating, creating small add-ons, and modifying purchased add-ons -- partly for the decorating reason and partly just for the fun of creating.  I visit each Linden Home at least once a week, but which one I'm currently focused on building/decorating will vary depending on my mood.

At my Mainland home, I have no house on the ground - just some trees and grass and other ground cover.  I have a skybox, mostly to keep my Kitties boxed in, and I have a few building platforms there.  I keep the mainland parcel primarily for the building.  It gives me more physical space and LI than available at the Linden Homes, because my permanently rezzed LI usage is small.  Also, with the mainland parcel, as opposed to using a sandbox, I can leave projects out for days/weeks on end - which is good because I tend to bounce between projects a lot.

43 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I own one region of which I use a quarter to live in, and I let out the rest.  Sometimes it's full.  I've also just got hold of a Belli houseboat which I'll probably abandon this evening because it's really not my style.

Did you mean to say SL land?  If so then I'd buy a stonking big and beautiful new computer with which to enjoy what I have, although I'd be tempted to buy another region just for landscape and water.

I actually wish we still had those void spaces or whatever available.  I'd probably maintain one of those just for some open water with a little snuggle island.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I've really never had any interest in it, even back when I was totally immersed with a partner, job and various social circles. I think I just thought it would be too much of a time and money suck. I had a friend/play partner who made me do terrible things before I could cross the threshold of his, though. 

I also once accepted someone's invitation to go back to his. He opened the door to the living room and ushered me inside, at which point I fell through a hidden trapdoor straight into his dungeon. I was very impressed.

Come to think of it, I think it's because I prefer being a guest...

Definitely a money suck - a normal full private region is, what, $300/mo?  That's a lot for a hobby and when you think of it as $3,600/yr, it makes one question their own life choices.

• Like 1

I have a workshop in-world. That's where I do building and scripting. A big garage-type building, with motorcycles and such, an office, animesh on pose stands. A test area out back with large projects such as escalators and moving sidewalks, plus an obstacle course for my NPCs. A little cafe, for meetings and NPC tests. It's not a store; no vendors. Just demos. Sales are on Marketplace. There are always a few NPCs running around.

I also have a seaside house in Belli, but don't use it much. I really need to furnish it more. I have a bedroom set, a dining table, some chairs, and a crate in the house. Has an nice boat outside on a launching rig so I can put the boat in the water easily.

13 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Definitely a money suck - a normal full private region is, what, $300/mo?  That's a lot for a hobby and when you think of it as $3,600/yr, it makes one question their own life choices.

A money suck, yes...but not quite that bad.  These days it's $229 per month, or $179 for a grandfathered region.

Most people who own whole regions do something with them to help pay their costs.

I used to just have a small skybox. Then I got my Bellissiera home. Whilst I adore the Victorian houses, the neighborhoods are pretty laggy - the houses feel strangely poorly optimized for SL. Neph got a Traditional home in a much less laggy region, just next to the train station, so now I spend most of my time there instead. The roads around there are easier to drive on, too.

Still trying to figure out how to furnish it though, even the smallest houses are so much larger than my old 2-room skybox that I occupied for nearly 5 years (and only actually furnished one room, for most of that time). It doesn't have the same gothic flair, so it feels less like 'me', but it's nice to have an exterior and it's really fun to drive around the continent.

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

A money suck, yes...but not quite that bad.  These days it's $229 per month, or $179 for a grandfathered region.

Most people who own whole regions do something with them to help pay their costs.

Hmmm and it's not $1,000 to buy any more.  Innnnnteresting!  Thanks!

(I wish I were most people, but it's too much work and drama)

I do not currently own or rent land in sl. I used to rent land, both for my store and so that I could provide a place for others to enjoy, make a few lindens (like through fishing, money trees, camping, etc..), and I thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Now, it's not really a reasonable expense for me, so, I don't do it. Perhaps if it ever is again, I will, but I'm pretty fiscally responsible, so this is more of a pipe dream than it will ever be a reality in sl again for me. There are more important things to me than my own forms of virtual entertainment, and they take precedence, in all ways. 

If I had more money in rl, I would have no need to invest in anymore rl land, I already have a lot of acreage, lol. I would, however, invest a bit so I could make better use of the land I do have, make much needed repairs, and have the land work a bit better for me, my family and surrounding communities (there is a serious lack of things like food pantries, fresh fruits and veggies for those who are less financially sound, etc... in my area....as in, there are none). I would love to be able to have both an indoor and outdoor garden, plus availability of other resources (clothes, household goods, pet foods and care), so I could provide more for those that need it on constant and consistent basis. There are more who barely make ends meet than there are those who manage, and I am not particularly comfortable with suggesting it is all a product of fiscal irresponsibility, but rather a product of circumstance more often than not. I know struggling, and I know how most get to that point....the vast majority of people in this country are one emergency away from eventual destitution, even despite some of the best laid plans.  I am actually working towards this goal, albeit it far more slowly than I would like, I am making strides, no matter how small, whenever possible, despite some serious wrenches being thrown into the works. People need help, and most of them probably aren't going to ask, many probably don't even know where or how to  look, let alone ask, and that makes me very sad. Virtual entertainment doesn't seem nearly as important when I look at things from that perspective

If I had more rl money I would most likely NOT invest it in sl, because...well ^

That's probably not where anyone intended this thread to go, but...eh :D

I was a hobo, kept woman, and occasional renter for a long time.  Then I plunked down an outrageous number of Lindens to purchase a 1024 plot in Bay City where the prims are doubled and I paid for it with 2 premium accounts until they upped the premium allotment.  After dithering a while(toyed with the idea of getting a belliseria home, but could never manage it), I dropped one of the premium accounts. I can never make back the investment I made in Bay City, the land prices just don't go that high there any more. But I don't really mind; it serves the purpose for me.  I'm not so gung ho on decorating. I use multiple levels for different stuff and I tear it all down and put up new stuff on a fairly regular basis. Right now the ground level is a forest.  In addition to that I have a skybox dressing room and a home with yard on other levels. I seem to have enough prims for whatever I want to do.

skybox_001.png

dressing room_001.png

ground_001.png

Home level_001.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If you pay VAT, as I do you, then you pay extra; in my case that's 20% extra.  That feeling of liberty, though, is very precious.

• Like 2

I've been premium since some point in 2009.

My original SL Home:

Fietzo_Ground_001

But I've been a skybox just as long:

Homebox_001

--- That furniture on the right, the black sofas... temp-rezzer there... /facepalm

I spent some years living on the side of a hill in both Campion (tallest spot on mainland - was mine until a neighbor found out and raised his land to 1m over me) and then later Ironchurch (in Zindra).

Home_002

- funny enough my 'G-rated SLer' period took place while I was living in this home in Zindra.

But eventually it was time to move out...

PackedBags_001

Since then I've mostly lived in skyboxes

SolarianDancing

With the odd small ground build

A little spot on the river

or attempt to make the ground look occupied

SL Home grounds

and some attempts to live on estates that themselves were short lived

House at Blue Lagoon Naturist Estate

But now I'm in Bellisseria

My Houseboat in SL.My Houseboat in SL.My Houseboat in SL.My Houseboat in SL.My Houseboat in SL.My Houseboat in SL.

My Houseboat in SL.

Mostly Done Victorian Home - exteriorVictorian Linden HomeVictorian Linden HomeVictorian Linden Home

I'm rather fond of the place, hopefully that will last.

• Like 2

I've owned a full private region for many years. I live on about a quarter of it and rent the rest to selected friends.  I have a skybox and a couple of work platforms over my own parcel, but I don't care much for being indoors in SL, so I spend most of my time at ground level.  I have a decorative building there (not to live in) and a walled garden, a couple of ponds, and a lot of woodland, all of which I share with my other residents for rest and relaxation.  I've never been Premium or even tempted to be Premium. I like seeing what others have done with their Linden Homes parcels, but when I explore in Bellisseria -- which I love doing -- I pay much more attention to what LDPW and residents have done with the land than what they've done with the houses.

4 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

If you had a significant increase in RL finances, would you allocate some to owning more RL land?

Nope.  I have plenty of land in RL.  I assume that you meant SL, though, but the answer is the same.  I have enough SL land to satisfy me and I get to wander and enjoy everyone else's.  If I had more money in RL, I would spend more time traveling.  😊

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If I had more money in RL, I would spend more time traveling. 

^^ This.  I already own less home than I could probably afford in RL, but it is enough for my needs.  Extra money would go towards traveling.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I maintain a full region (stand alone) that is filled with roads and scenery for riding motorcycles.  It's primarily a test facility for my road tests, customer demo rides and also a full region for others to use in a relatively low lag environment.  I only use a small bit for the store, my modest 2 room house and a building platform to work in private.  Otherwise the entire region is open to all who like to ride motorcycles, regardless of who built them.  

home.jpg

• Like 1

I have an 11,264 sqm on mainland, along the Sandy Beach Trail on Gaeta 1.  It extends back longways from the road, so my house is on the section farthest back from the road.  I like having enough land that I can pretty much do what I want (within reason) without running out of available LI.  I like setting up and decorating houses and the surroundings.  From time to time I change  houses or furnishings, or change up the landscaping and out-buildings.  I have another account that shares the land with me, so we have it as group-owned.  When we last expanded this parcel, neither of our accounts had a Linden Home, so the size of the parcel is exactly the 8,192 tier level, plus both our 1024 sqm allotments, plus the group bonus.

However, now I also have a traditional house in Bellisseria.  I've always liked having a linden home, along with whatever other land I've had.  It's nice to have an alternate location to go to at times.  My other account has a Victorian in Bellisseria.

I'm also renting a little parcel on a friend's estate.  The estate does seasonal changes, which is something that I don't do on my own mainland parcel.  I have a little A-frame cabin there on the side of a hill, so I consider that my vacation home in the mountains.

The challenge with having multiple homes is not having them all look the same inside.  I do try to not use all the same furnishings in each house, though there are a few pieces that I always like to use.   I think I probably buy more home and garden stuff than clothing and shoes these days. 

From time to time, I've rented a parcel in a region where I've been involved in role play, because it's nice to have a 'home base' for logging in and out of when going out to the region for RP.

There is at least one thread for posting pictures of non-linden homes (and several threads devoted to just the new linden homes).  I post in them from time to time, but don't think I've posted my current setup. 

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

If you pay VAT, as I do you, then you pay extra; in my case that's 20% extra.  That feeling of liberty, though, is very precious.

I fail to understand why letting a pervasive government charge you another 20% tax gives you a feeling of liberty.  We went to war with a government, once upon a time, for their taxing ways. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.