Something killed my AO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This might have arisen before but it's new to me.  I'd been grid-hopping curiously in search of lots of green dots and was visiting many busy places.  All of a sudden my AO stopped working and I was doing the duck walk.  I thought I'd overtaxed my pc so I went home, logged off,  ran a pc cleaner (as I always do),  and restarted my pc.  When I got back inworld the AO was still not working, but other AOs were fine.  Resetting scripts didn't work so I resorted to a redelivery (despite their warning that I already had the latest version so did I really want a redelivery, you strange person).  The new copy was fine.

So my question is, what can have happened to kill my AO?

• Like 1

Last week,Tuesday, I think it was, I had a tp crash. On re-logging, every single scripted item I was wearing, as an attachment or a hud, was broken and would not work. Resetting scripts didn't cure the problems. I had to rez new copies and, in one case, had to get a redelivery. I've never experienced anything like this before. 

• Thanks 1

I think I've had this happen only twice, *maybe* three times in 13 years. So it's fortunate that it is a rare thing. This also is why I recommend to everyone I get a chance to that they should always make a copy of any HUD and only ever wear the copy. This way, if and when this nuclear event happens, you only need make a new copy of the one you already have.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Odaks said:

Resetting scripts didn't cure the problems.

Yeah, it usually won't work under these circumstances, but often the scripts can be Set Running or even Recompiled (usually Mono is the better choice of compiler) first. It's kind of a "feature", useful for debugging, that scripts that actually crash need a special step to get them back in working order, whereas those that put themselves into an unresponsive state can be merely reset.

Of course if the scripted object is no-mod it can't be helped by any of these measures, and can be best fixed by putting all copies in the Trash and emptying it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't had this happen with an AO, as I use Firestorm's built-in AO, but I have had it happen several times with huds for my head and body, on occasions when I've forgotten to take them off before teleporting.

In all cases the cause appears to be the teleport itself. Sometimes re-logging helped and sometimes I needed to unpack a fresh one. It's getting so frequent that I now religiously remove all huds before teleporting anywhere.

So yes, I do think there is something going on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.