What attachment points do you use for various rigged mesh?

auntiemisha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If there is already a forum discussion for this, please let me know as I have searched and was not able to find anything.

What attachment points do you use for different types of rigged mesh? Do you have strong opinions on the attachment points you use?

Or do you leave everything at "right hand" (seems like most vendors leave everything on right hand) and just do an add for any new items on your outfits?

For example if you have dresses, do you like to set the attachment point to chest or pecs?

I try to be somewhat consistent, but sometimes I say the heck with it for new items and just "add" and have multiple items sitting on the right hand attachment point.

Also do you have preferences for non-rigged items (if you don't mind moving items around to get them where you want)?

• mesh feet - (left hind foot)
  • mesh body - (spine)
  • mesh head - (neck) hmm I may want to change this one if I wear necklaces more
  • mesh hands - (left hand)
  • mesh eyes - (left eyeball)
  • shoes - (left foot) if only 1 point needed, otherwise left foot+right foot
  • dress - (left pec)
  • glasses - (nose) not usually rigged but I will move them around to fit on nose if they aren't already there.
  • shirt - (chest)
  • pants - (pelvis)
  • necklace - (neck)
  • skirt - (left hip)

Edited by auntiemisha
added comment

Anything that's relatively close to where the mesh appears, so that I can move the root prim (if there is one) manually to be roughly inside the mesh. That way it's much easier to right-click and select, since you'll be clicking on the prim instead of hoping that the stars align and your viewer guesses what you're trying to click on.

19 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

RLV can make this a problem. Those programming RLV stuff seem to go with Wulfie's idea. So, use of newer Bento attachment points puts things outside most RLV things reach.

My RLV is able to attach to location like tail tip, tail base, and groin.

Using:

Pussycat Catnap's 'Collar'

Origin: (nobody)
Revision: P9-306-DUCK

• This collar is up to date ◠‿◠✿

The Peanut Collar Distribution is made with coffee and flowers. Join us on Discord if you want to chat or flirt!

Licensing Information / EULA Agreements / Privacy

http://www.opencollar.at/faq.html

To test just now I made sure that in the

#RLV -> .basics

folder, I had an item that attaches to groin and one to tail base. I took them off.

I added a prim that attaches to tail tip as an attachment link in one folder. I clicked my collar -> RLV -> Outfits -> picked that outfit. All 3 items attached.

I switch, to another outfit, the prim that was just in one outfit goes away, I switch back to the first outfit and it comes back on.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

19 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Pussycat Catnap My point is that older existing things in the RLV world were not programmed with Bento in mind.

Oh, so something like a chair or relay from years back.

- That's kind of a universal issue beyond just Bento... obviously yes, I see the scope of your comment in relation to the question here...

But once someone "gets on the bento train" they find all kinds of weirdness with old animations in particular... Like... I can either set me mesh body to lock certain hand positions and not see my hands animate with all that sweet Bento furniture I've been buying up, or get used to have the animations in my furniture giving me splayed hands - my choice. :)

Basically yeah...

We all gotta lot of stuff to update... and if we have things that are old... results will be not as desired.

I think if you sell 'product X' and attach it to a Bento attachment point - you should note 'Bento reliant' somewhere in that product... maybe only use points like the tail, tongue, groin... for actual bento things (which is, other than in my wonky test above, what I do for my tail, but I attach a fitmesh genital prop to groin when needing such - but the seller right put it on pelvis).

Oh... to keep it separate... I basically agree with the above posters. For a sold product - attach it to the point closest to where it 'goes'. Put that cyborg arm on the right arm... not the left eyeball or something...

And OMG... stop using the right hand...

Unless you're selling me a right hand dragon claw or similar...

I see right hand and it just screams 'lazy product' or 'we uploaded this and sold it without testing'...

And yeah... don't use a Bento attachment point unless it's an actual bento item...

For your own personal inventory...

- I move stuff around to try and have no more than 1 item on an attachment point unless it's not avoidable (like unrigged stuff). Basically following the rule above... but willing to put something onto a bento point because I'm the end user and if I break it I have been in SL long enough to know it was my fault and I just grab a new copy and go...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

Isn’t (or wasn’t) there an issue with too many things stacking on the right hand? Causing meshes to sometimes be invisible? I also try to put things on or near the most sensible point. Doll keys on chest or spine. I still have a few pieces of really heavy multi-point attaching jewelery and I didn’t change them because I don’t wear them out so no sense spending the time to re-align a 5 part tiara or a 3 part necklace...These kinds of things are on my list to photograph for the memory and then either mothball or discard in 2020. 

17 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Isn’t (or wasn’t) there an issue with too many things stacking on the right hand? Causing meshes to sometimes be invisible? I also try to put things on or near the most sensible point. Doll keys on chest or spine. I still have a few pieces of really heavy multi-point attaching jewelery and I didn’t change them because I don’t wear them out so no sense spending the time to re-align a 5 part tiara or a 3 part necklace...These kinds of things are on my list to photograph for the memory and then either mothball or discard in 2020. 

There was a problem with parts stacked on the same attachment-point detaching and/or failing to render after region crossing. Some work was done on the problem. It is better. But, it is best to avoid too many attachments on a single point.

Lots of things contribute to what is 'too many'. So there is no known number where problems may start.

There can also be a problem at login when 'too many' parts are on a single attachment-point. What renders and what the system thinks is attached gets out of sync. One may have to relog, refresh attachments, or teleport to another region to get things working.

• Thanks 1

I have a system. Dresses and tops go on the left pec, coats and such on the right pec. pants, panties and skirts go on the left hip. If say a skirt and panties are part of a set, the skirt goes on the right hip. When I sort out new items, I apply that system to the new items before I sort them into the final category for clothing. That way, when I change something, i can just double click on the the new item to wear and whatever I was wearing there gets taken off.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 7:28 AM, auntiemisha said:

(...)Or do you leave everything at "right hand" (seems like most vendors leave everything on right hand) and just do an add for any new items on your outfits?(...)

On 12/21/2019 at 1:54 AM, Fauve Aeon said:

Isn’t (or wasn’t) there an issue with too many things stacking on the right hand? Causing meshes to sometimes be invisible?(...)

The Right Hand is the default attachment point for any new object created, for anything else you need to manually set it only content creators just leave it as is bag it and sell it.
Yes it can cause a lot of problems, for example after a teleport some people on the region you land might not see some of those objects and yes you should manually make sure you are not wearing everything on the same attachment, it is good to have a strategy like OP does, although the Spine is (used to be more) a premium attachment point, that's because of how an avatar will move there are a lot of non-rigged objects you might wanna put there, so I would go for something like shoulders and other less used ones.

Dean is right. Many designers never change the default attachment point for their products. So, with any new clothing item I check the attachment point the first time I wear it and correct it using a more appropriate attachment point.

With a big stack of attachments on a single point you'll bump into more problems then just teleport issues. Occasionally at login your avatar will not render correctly or it may take several minutes. Attachments may fall off or seem to when crossing regions (walking, flying, etc.). Also, if you play with RLV it can get confusing as to whether the avatar and backend servers or out of sync or it is an RLV restriction biting you. Something won't render, shows as attached, but you can't take it off. Sorting that out wastes time.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.