locations for wardrobe photos & nice lighting?

brie90212

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have found a very few places in SL that have environment that is not too dark, does not have a background that is not overly distracting and has basic nice lighting...  Because I am taking pictures for my wardrobe these tend to be the things I seek out if possible. 

I do know the lighting can be controlled to a point in sl.  However, I do find locations that work best for what I'm seeking have just nice general lighting already set up.  For my wardrobe shots I do not plan on ever doing any photoshop on the images.

The lighting can be controlled pretty close to infinitely. There isn't a handy interface for the Windlight feature in the official SL viewer but there is in most (if not all) of the third party viewers. Have you tried one of them?

There are still some changing rooms around, places provided as a kindness by land owners for those without land to rez some boxes and change their clothes. Perhaps one might suit, or you could rez a prim and drop a texture or colour on it to make your own backdrop.

You can also make your own backdrop to use in a sandbox. If there are griefers present, try another or sit on the prim and edit its Z location to somewhere high in the sky.

It used to be that some store owners left the photo studio set-up they used for their own vendor photographs open to everyone, or to the group. I don't know if this happens much anymore. The one I remember closed due to the creator's RL health problems. Have you tried an inworld search for something like "free photo studio"?

• Like 1

The least distracting background of all can be made by going to a sandbox and resizing a simple cube, removing the texture to make it white, then stretching it so it is very tall and wide and standing in front or it. This is how I made my profile picture for the forums.

53 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

The least distracting background of all can be made by going to a sandbox and resizing a simple cube, removing the texture to make it white, then stretching it so it is very tall and wide and standing in front or it. This is how I made my profile picture for the forums.

This, very much. I create a cube and a cylinder: The cube made very large then flattens for the floor, the cylinder made very tall and hollow, then cut in half and stretched to match the floor. Both are made white and full bright. Then I set light to calWL - it's the best light for wardrobe gallery type pictures (and other texture-matching things, like finicking with neck seams, etc.).

• Like 1

If you don't want to make one: A dollarbie with spotslights: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/WeArH0uSE-basic-studio-dollarbie/14478844

A totally free one, the walls change to white too. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/StrawberrySinghcom-Simple-Photo-Studio/5745423

With these low li options you can have your own photostudio at home.

There's also some nice pose sets (set meaning a room, not a bunch of separate poses) you can get that work well for showing off clothing. A couple of my favorites are by the pose maker Exposeur; Monumental Fashion and The White Room. They have many which I really like using but those two are very minimalist and the White Room specifically has good lighting built in. It is somewhat pricey but personally I've gotten my moneys worth out of this one.

(I rezzed the bird at the window for this one)

black white gray version

Here's another. You can see how well it lends itself to fashion shoots

White Room

Last to show you the various poses built in

A Principal Girl of the USA

Edited by Elora Lunasea
clarification
  • Like 2

There are places that provide free backdrops...

In the SL Forum there is a thread titled, How does your avatar look today? it is close to 1,000 pages. The people there are often talking about where they took their shot and/or asking where they can find photo locations. So, lots of handy information and some really great images.

Flickr has some groups that are about SL locations for photography.

Start with these and watch some of the blogs covering SL travel...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.