Jump to content

Language Learning in SL


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I met a person recently who spoke absolutely perfect BBC newsreader English and found that he had learned this purely from interaction within SL with others, both on voice, but mostly by listening in to conversations.The gentleman was European and did not really speak English before joining SL.  Outstanding!

Second life is a superb environment in which to immerse in the Language Learning Experience, without leaving ones home.  With so many different nationalities among the SL population, there is probably an abundance of opportunity to capitalize on this resource.  

I would like to know what experience people have of learning languages in this environment, and how they have found it, considering the three main approaches; one to one, classroom via a provider, or general immersion.  How far did you get?

 

people.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most conversations I hear are in English, possibly because I don't hear about get-togethers where other languages are spoken. I would love to learn Japanese, or the Chinese (Mandarin?) at it's root, but have NEVER seen the "nearby chat" window populate with a non-Western alphabet of any kind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Waiomao said:

Most conversations I hear are in English, possibly because I don't hear about get-togethers where other languages are spoken. I would love to learn Japanese, or the Chinese (Mandarin?) at it's root, but have NEVER seen the "nearby chat" window populate with a non-Western alphabet of any kind.

prior to the Google Translate API becoming a paid subscriber service there used to be a lot more non-english open chat users in SL. Language translator chat HUDs were very popular.  There are still a few people in SL who do have a paid subscription to enable language translation, but nowhere near the numbers there used to be

usual big tech business model for AI learning. Get people to give you data for free until the AI model is reasonably well-founded. Then start charging those same people thereafter

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I learn English grammar and sufficient vocabulary in high school but not used it very often eventually started to forget everything.

Writing with people in SL helps me remember what I forget, and fix my incorrect grammar.

I don't talk on voice (unable to pronounce "R" 😛) combine it with accent it is a disaster, probably no one will understand it.

meme-faces-speaking-english.jpg

Edited by RunawayBunny
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RunawayBunny said:

I learn English grammar and sufficient vocabulary in high school but not used it very often eventually started to forget everything.

Writing with people in SL helps me remember what I forget, and fix my incorrect grammar.

I don't talk on voice (unable to pronounce "R" 😛) combine it with accent it is a disaster, probably no one will understand it.

meme-faces-speaking-english.jpg

My son had trouble with Rs.  We found a book called Growl when you say R which helped a lot.  Just a random little bit of info.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My son had trouble with Rs.  We found a book called Growl when you say R which helped a lot.

Tried many methods with my teacher at early age probably it was easy to fix at early age but I was stubborn refused to fix it :)

At my current age even if I pronounce it correctly I will most likely not apply it while talking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RunawayBunny said:

Tried many methods with my teacher at early age probably it was easy to fix at early age but I was stubborn refused to fix it :)

At my current age even if I pronounce it correctly I will most likely not apply it while talking.

It makes you unique. 😊. Always a plus in my book.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I joined Second Life with another account in 2007. At the beggining I used to spend time with other Spaniards who were into some Naruto roleplay sim. I got bored of it and shifted into the SLMC, which is... basically shooting prims at people using LLCS. Most of the groups that did that spoke English; they were kind enough to let me in despite my non-existent English. Around 2009 I began to talk to them on Ventrilo and Teamspeak.

As time passed I learned more and more, just by being around people, reading and listening; but I still struggle with some accents and vocabulary I'm not used to hear. But yeah. I learned English on Second Life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 426 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...