Support groups for people suffering from depression?

turningpages

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I was told to get a new hobby. Something that would help get my mind off things. I chose Second Life. I don't regret the decision but at the same time it's not the distraction I was hoping for. If anything, logging on only to be largely ignored either because I'm new or the way I look stings even though it shouldn't. I want to try a different route because of that. If there are any depression and just life in general support groups in Second Life I would great appreciate someone pointing me in its direction. Hell, I'd even take just a rando to talk to as I honestly have no one. Not looking for a psychiatrist as I already have one. Just a friend with ears (or er eyes I guess) and a shoulder.

• Like 1

I would generally suggest that you avoid trying to find someone to "lean on" in SL; whilst there are good and reliable people around, you must first learn to find such people or you may well end up worse. According to your profile, you're 4 days old - and that's the only information about you available. A good way to make friends is to fill out your profile, mention some interests, a little something about yourself - not that you're a depressed person, mind, that's not "who you are" and may well pose a target for people who figure you'll be easily manipulated, or indeed have someone 'well-meaning' thinking that they can 'fix' you.

Especially if your goal is to get your mind off things, just make some friends and enjoy yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Fionalein said:

try "survivors of suicide"

I did look into that group, a while back. I decided against joining it myself, though. I saw a lot of "we offer this and that", but no credentials.

There have been other attempts of starting mental health clinics in SL, and they've not been well received (especially by myself) as preying on those depressed or mentally ill is absolutely obnoxious. Leave the treatment and support to the professionals whom you meet face to face, don't take advise from people wielding fancy words on the Internet - especially not mine!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

I would generally suggest that you avoid trying to find someone to "lean on" in SL; whilst there are good and reliable people around, you must first learn to find such people or you may well end up worse. According to your profile, you're 4 days old - and that's the only information about you available. A good way to make friends is to fill out your profile, mention some interests, a little something about yourself - not that you're a depressed person, mind, that's not "who you are" and may well pose a target for people who figure you'll be easily manipulated, or indeed have someone 'well-meaning' thinking that they can 'fix' you.

Especially if your goal is to get your mind off things, just make some friends and enjoy yourself.

I can see what you mean about not wanting to lean on someone in Second Life too much. I suppose the idea came out of desperation as I sort of feel like I have no one else I can talk to. Of course I do have family members but they refuse to talk about the issues despite the fact I've always been the kind of person who found it helpful to discuss my problems. I do have a therapist and a doctor but it just doesn't feel the same talking to them - it's clinical, as I know it should be since it's a professional business... I don't, I'm probably rambling. 

And thank you for reminding me to fill out my profile. I was meaning to attempt to do it a couple days ago but I've always had trouble describing myself. I'll have to try harder it seems. 

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

try "survivors of suicide"* - but also follow @Orwar's  advice

*other than the name suggests they are open to all manner of psychosocial conditions/traumata

Thank you. I'll look into it and decide if it might be a good choice for me. I appreciate it.  

1 minute ago, turningpages said:

Thank you. I'll look into it and decide if it might be a good choice for me. I appreciate it.  

Just don't spend all your SL time there. The advice you were given "to get a hobby" most likely was to get away from your problems - get new perspectives, so hop around and explore SL - being around self help groups won't be such a big distraction at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fionalein said:

Just don't spend all your SL time there. The advice you were given "to get a hobby" most likely was to get away from your problems - get new perspectives, so hop around and explore SL - being around self help groups won't be such a big distraction at all.

That's probably 100% right. I do think something could be useful because times I need self help environments, but I can see how being in that environment for too long could worsen things. 

I'll hop around some more though I've always been a bit of a wall flower with difficulty making friends, I'm hoping that at least in Second Life I can change that. 

5 minutes ago, turningpages said:

I'll hop around some more though I've always been a bit of a wall flower with difficulty making friends...

That might not be a bad thing, SL is full of weirdos - a healthy dose of distrust in making friends won't hurt here. Be kind but trust no one unless you know them very well sadly seems a good advise around the internets in general and SL in special.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

I was in one of those help groups named "Mental Health issues helpers",there was some people with "Doctor" tags. I was in that group for 4 months and saw only weird talks with some  regular advices. Later owner decided to give up on this group and made another one- "Mental Health issues helpers VIP " with 300L fee. As i heard group had a bit more than  60 members and private skybox for meets. And later owner just deleted his avi and left all the groups:)

p.s i had serious problem with depression from 2016 to February 2018, and i started to help people at makeup store,it was a little hobby,which became my regular SL work  ,even if my sl work"s group is full of weirdos and complainers  , i got new friends there and helped myself with depression problems. (sorry if it sounds too messy).

6 minutes ago, Panteleeva said:

I was in one of those help groups named "Mental Health issues helpers",there was some people with "Doctor" tags. I was in that group for 4 months and saw only weird talks with some  regular advices. Later owner decided to give up on this group and made another one- "Mental Health issues helpers VIP " with 300L fee. As i heard group had a bit more than  60 members and private skybox for meets. And later owner just deleted his avi and left all the groups:)

p.s i had serious problem with depression from 2016 to February 2018, and i started to help people at makeup store,it was a little hobby,which became my regular SL work  ,even if my sl work"s group is full of weirdos and complainers  , i got new friends there and helped myself with depression problems. (sorry if it sounds too messy).

Thanks for sharing your experiences - yeah my advice would be to stay away from any group that offers more than being there to talk with you, offering a safe retreat and regular community activities... as Orwar said: better leave the rest to the professionals

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what Fionalein has suggested. Survivors of Suicide is the best mental health support group I've found in SL, but remember it's *peer support*, not professional support. Members have all dealt with their own mental health issues. The group is moderated to control for people who just want to troll or who might easily trigger others. Mentors are members who have shown they can listen well, are active in responding to those who need to talk, and who give back pretty good advice. You can chat in group anytime, but there are also notecard resources & regular meetings held at the home sim.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, turningpages said:

So, I was told to get a new hobby. Something that would help get my mind off things. I chose Second Life. I don't regret the decision but at the same time it's not the distraction I was hoping for. If anything, logging on only to be largely ignored either because I'm new or the way I look stings even though it shouldn't. I want to try a different route because of that. If there are any depression and just life in general support groups in Second Life I would great appreciate someone pointing me in its direction. Hell, I'd even take just a rando to talk to as I honestly have no one. Not looking for a psychiatrist as I already have one. Just a friend with ears (or er eyes I guess) and a shoulder.

Try Virtual Ability.  They accept chronic mental health issues as much of a disability as physical ones and while they do not offer therapy, they do offer qualified and professional as well as peer-to-peer support. You can check their credentials on their website. https://virtualability.org/  Among other things, they offer social events and meetings several times a week, as well as periodic educational events. It's a safe and supportive environment in which to make new friends.

You have to be invited into the group as it's not set up for public joining, so check out their island or, if you don't bump into anyone there, send them a message via their website. 

• Like 1

Welcome to tbe forum @turningpages

Please consider joining the Breakfast Club group. We meet every Sunday at 0800slt. If your timezone is convenient, drop in. You can just watch local chat if you're on the shy side, or you can join in, or just IM any of the assembled crew.

They are a good bunch of people to hang out with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.