Why is there no Governance Lindens available?

HardcoreNor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a land officer in a new user help area - G rated, desigated safe area - and I have two people who came in asking about where the "p*dos" were, how they could have their way with children, etc etc etc.  I removed them.... AR'ed them.. but they're still standing right outside the area.  IMing new residents who land.

I can't use live chat because of the time it is, and there are no Governance Lindens on as I've IM'ed them all.  One has even spoofed my name (how original.. I know).

Don't you think there should be some way that people who own land should be able to get an official or at least have contact with someone who can look into an AR report or at least remove pesky no goodniks from the area?

• Like 2

It's very unrealistic to have someone available 24/7-365 to handle reports. There is typically 37,000 - 60,000 residents connected at a given time. IMing accounts with (whomever Linden) will get you no where you need to file an AR like you did and they'll handle it as soon as possible. Best thing is to block the trolls because fighting / arguing with them is just feeding into their game only makes it last longer.

Scaler, why is it unrealistic to have customer service available 24/7?  Second Life is a world wide product and to have very narrow live chat hours ... yeah that doesn't sit well.  And actually contacting a Governance Linden has helped in an emergency in the past.  Also, as I stated in my post - I'm a Land Officer there - which means I'm a "Moderator" and it's my responsibility to keep the area safe and G rated for users.  If you don't mind people yelling about wanting to indulge in pedophilia... shall I invite them to go over to your land and do it?

• Like 3

I'm curious as to how this is your responsibility.  I haven't gone over TOS with a fine-tooth comb, but it wouldn't make sense to hold land owners liable for TOS violations by visitors.  Sure, if the land owner has adult stuff on G land, or things on adult land that are still TOS violations, then the land owner could get in trouble with the Lindens.  But what if, as in your case, it's a regular old G sim, the parcel is G, everyone runs the place as G, and it's just a few idiots that keep stopping by to grief and violate TOS?  The real-world analogy I'd make is that let's say a strip club is in a jurisdiction that states if they serve beer then the strippers have to leave their panties on and wear pasties on their nipples.  Some of the strippers want better tips, and go full nude.  That would be something the cops could bust them on and shut the club down.  Same stripper gets drunk with her friends, walks into a Walmart, hears a song she's good at dancing to, and strips full nude before the cops show up.  Is Walmart in trouble?  So no, it's not Walmart's responsibility to make sure little Billy didn't see any boobies.  That's for the cops to deal with if Walmart gives them a call.  Same deal, you've done your part by filing the AR.  The responsibility now lies with Linden.  Yeah, it would be cool if you could just pick up the phone and get a live Customer Service Rep on the line, 24/7.  Some companies do indeed have that level of support.  I agree -- this should be the norm for all companies.  That said, it's not a realistic thing to hope for, due to the costs involved.  Linden Labs is one such company that would see a substantial hit to their bottom line were they to have such service.  You'll just have to wait, and in the mean time hope that new visitors will mute and/or AR the griefers.  Maybe build a wall between the landing point and where  the griefers are, and put a sign on it advising folks not to talk to the griefers, appologizing for the temporary situation, and informing folks that Linden has been notified of the disturbance.  Once Linden has removed the idiots, remove your wall.  No, it's not the perfect 24/7 solution, but it handles the situation as best you can under the circumstances.  Lot's of luck to you.

the Lindens assure us every AR gets a view - sadly this means yours (a case of trolling if i read it right) has to wait in line until it is due to be reviewed.

Governanvce Lindens only appear in world once the AR is at least in review or even decided upon - there is no shortcut for faster ARs by IMing them - there should not be for equality's sake. Sad as it is trolls like the ones visiting you are all around SL - everyoe reporting thenm is treated the same - as is everyone who files an AR for inferior reasons as personal revenge (the Lab cannot know in advance wether an AR is valid or not).

Edited by Fionalein

4 hours ago, Fionalein said:

the Lindens assure us every AR gets a view

I know the place where this happened, but as long as there is nothing more than that automated acknowledgement of an AR, I am not sure that anyone can be sure whether the Lindens do anything. I can think of a couple of places where these creeps could have been standing, outside of Nor's area of control, where they would be able to harass new residents directed to info and teaching facilities.

There needs to be some attention paid to 24/7 support cover, because Second Life is global. There are some long gaps, and the daily variations are, very roughly, 28k users to 45k. I'm not sure how you could pick out events such as this from the AR stream to direct to an overnight team, but just waiting for normal office hours starts to seem reckless. I hope the Lindens can do better than that on the computer security side, because they're holding my personal data (and just shoving the responsibility over to Tilia doesn't change the timing problem).

I'm in Europe. Does Linden Lab (and it's subsidiaries) want to be in the same legal mess over European data as Google and Facebook?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 8:35 PM, HardcoreNor said:

I'm a land officer in a new user help area - G rated, desigated safe area - and I have two people who came in asking about where the "p*dos" were, how they could have their way with children, etc etc etc.  I removed them.... AR'ed them.. but they're still standing right outside the area.  IMing new residents who land.

I can't use live chat because of the time it is, and there are no Governance Lindens on as I've IM'ed them all.  One has even spoofed my name (how original.. I know).

Don't you think there should be some way that people who own land should be able to get an official or at least have contact with someone who can look into an AR report or at least remove pesky no goodniks from the area?

Wait until the nefarious Section 230 is removed/nullified in the Communications Decency Act, then the Lindens, like Facebook and Twitter, will cease this indifferent attitude to such serious matters and police them with far more alacrity.

In the meantime, always try to get more than one person to AR something, a chorus gets their attention, as do repeated ARs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In the meantime, always try to get more than one person to AR something, a chorus gets their attention, as do repeated ARs.

If this is true it is actually very sad - ARs should be treated equal no matter how many people file them - either there is a TOS violation or not ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I was actually once adviced by a Linden that submitting multiple abuse reports might help if they didn't respond to the first one.

I do understand that they don't have the capacity to handle all the ARs they receive but this is not a good situation neither for them nor for us.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.