SL land buying help?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, so not really sure if i'm posting this in the right kind of spot or not.

But I've been looking into purchasing land recently and was just curious if there was any tips or advice on how to go about doing it or answer some questions.

Most recently was looking at land auctions and I did read all the FAQ and such on it but still have some confusion about how all of it works.

If anyones willing to help out, has suggestions, or even advice/tips that'd be great.

In the past I've only had a meadowbrook LL house and rented a plot from a place a old friend recommended so I don't really know much about it outside of that. Thank you in advance!

Will check back here to see any responses or can message me in-world Kaydinlynn.

The way I shop for mainland is by using the in-world map.

• Turn on the "Land for Sale" checkmark and zoom outward as far as you can until those yellow overlays on the map disappear, you want to be outward as far as you can.
  • Have a budget: what size, in square meters, are you looking for. Then decide on the maximum cost limit (price per prim (LI). My personal limit is L$5 per prim.)
  • Now slowly scroll around the map and look for yellow overlays that look somewhat like the kind of location or shape (or both) you want.
  • Hover mouse over the tiny "price tag" icon and click it. You will see the size in square meters, the selling price, and the price-per-prim (LI). 
  • If it looks promising, the *minimize* (don't close) the world map and TP to that parcel to have a closer look.

By *minimizing* the world map, it will not need to rez all over again and will be just how you left it. You want to visit the parcel to be sure it is suitable (just a vertical cliff-side, for example) and also to see what it's surround with, what the lag (if any) is like, and what, if any, prim-pollution looks like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

The way I shop for mainland is by using the in-world map.

• Turn on the "Land for Sale" checkmark and zoom outward as far as you can until those yellow overlays on the map disappear, you want to be outward as far as you can.
  • Have a budget: what size, in square meters, are you looking for. Then decide on the maximum cost limit (price per prim (LI). My personal limit is L$5 per prim.)
  • Now slowly scroll around the map and look for yellow overlays that look somewhat like the kind of location or shape (or both) you want.
  • Hover mouse over the tiny "price tag" icon and click it. You will see the size in square meters, the selling price, and the price-per-prim (LI). 
  • If it looks promising, the *minimize* (don't close) the world map and TP to that parcel to have a closer look.

By *minimizing* the world map, it will not need to rez all over again and will be just how you left it. You want to visit the parcel to be sure it is suitable (just a vertical cliff-side, for example) and also to see what it's surround with, what the lag (if any) is like, and what, if any, prim-pollution looks like.

Wow thank you so much, this is really helpful! I was trying to look the other day using the search thing and everything showing up was rentals so this will be so much easier! What do you mean by prim-pollution?

Have you ever had experience with the land auctions? 

One question I've really had is, I've seen with land rentals that some are skybox only or land only. Is that the same with purchasing land? Or is it like if it's my land it's mine I can do/put whatever on it, ground house, skybox, etc?

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I teach a free class on land on Saturdays, at Caledon Oxbridge University, at 12 noon SL Time!  Hope you can make it!

If I haven't found something by then I'll have to stop by if I'm awake! And even if I have I might anyways since I don't know much about having my own land aside from rentals haha

8 hours ago, KaydinLynn said:

One question I've really had is, I've seen with land rentals that some are skybox only or land only. Is that the same with purchasing land? Or is it like if it's my land it's mine I can do/put whatever on it, ground house, skybox, etc?

If you're purchasing mainland, you can do/put whatever on it - you can even do a ground house and a skybox (providing you have the LI  available) . 

I've taken Lindal's class before.  I highly recommend it.  

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

If you're purchasing mainland, you can do/put whatever on it - you can even do a ground house and a skybox (providing you have the LI  available) . 

I've taken Lindal's class before.  I highly recommend it.  

Thank you! Everyone's answers were so helpful I am happy to say i now have a piece of land and skybox starting to get set up!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KaydinLynn said:

Wow thank you so much, this is really helpful! I was trying to look the other day using the search thing and everything showing up was rentals so this will be so much easier! What do you mean by prim-pollution?

Have you ever had experience with the land auctions? 

"Prim pollution" is when you set your draw distance to 128 meters (*maybe 256, but that's not really fair) and the surrounding area is "polluted" with ugly junk, especially in the sky. In other words, it is unsightly. If you raise your draw distance higher than 128 meters (this is the default LL sets) then you *will* see junk, so that's not a fair assessment.

Rentals are just that: you do NOT own the land. Even if you are buying the land in a private region, you are still only renting it and paying another "resident" (SL user) - and that user has all God powers to eject you and revoke the land from you (take it back) and kick you out any time they choose for any reason they choose and do not have to refund you a single L$.

When you purchase land on the Mainland, you are actually the owner of it, you do not pay another Resident; you pay Linden Lab land-use fees at different tiers based on how large that parcel is. If you are a Premium member, (wh9ich you must be to purchase land for yourself,) the land-use fees for the first 1024 square meters are waved: you do not have to pay it. This means you buy the land and never, ever have to pay another single L$ to *ANYONE*.

If you want to learn even more about land-use fees (it's not called "tier" LOL) and land ownership (such as all the amazing things you can do with it) I very strongly recommend you contact @Lindal Kidd and get to her "Land Ownership" workshop. :)

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

"Prim pollution" is when you set your draw distance to 128 meters (*maybe 256, but that's not really fair) and the surrounding area is "polluted" with ugly junk, especially in the sky. In other words, it is unsightly. If you raise your draw distance higher than 128 meters (this is the default LL sets) then you *will* see junk, so that's not a fair assessment.

Rentals are just that: you do NOT own the land. Even if you are buying the land in a private region, you are still only renting it and paying another "resident" (SL user) - and that user has all God powers to eject you and revoke the land from you (take it back) and kick you out any time they choose for any reason they choose and do not have to refund you a single L$.

When you purchase land on the Mainland, you are actually the owner of it, you do not pay another Resident; you pay Linden Lab land-use fees at different tiers based on how large that parcel is. If you are a Premium member, (wh9ich you must be to purchase land for yourself,) the land-use fees for the first 1024 square meters are waved: you do not have to pay it. This means you buy the land and never, ever have to pay another single L$ to *ANYONE*.

If you want to learn even more about land-use fees (it's not called "tier" LOL) and land ownership (such as all the amazing things you can do with it) I very strongly recommend you contact @Lindal Kidd and get to her "Land Ownership" workshop. :)

Thank you so much! I actually followed and used your tips to find land and I think I found something pretty good, at least for me I suppose haha. Moderate mainland 750L for 1024. Didn't notice any prim pollution that you mentioned apart from someone having multiple skyboxes somewhat closish but really noticable from within mine which i basically just wanted a nice skybox. I'll have to check out her workshop. I did notice that my land doesn't seem to allow terraforming, not that I know how to really do that and it shouldn't effect a skybox but is that good or bad, or how/why do have some terraforming and some don't?

On the mainland, terraforming is limited to 4 meters higher and 4 meters lower than the Linden default. So it could be you were trying to raise it when it is already at maximum altitude (height) or vice-versa. So you should experiment a bit and play with it. It's like "Plā-Dōh" clay or putty. :D

9 hours ago, KaydinLynn said:

Thank you so much! I actually followed and used your tips to find land and I think I found something pretty good, at least for me I suppose haha. Moderate mainland 750L for 1024. Didn't notice any prim pollution that you mentioned apart from someone having multiple skyboxes somewhat closish but really noticable from within mine which i basically just wanted a nice skybox. I'll have to check out her workshop. I did notice that my land doesn't seem to allow terraforming, not that I know how to really do that and it shouldn't effect a skybox but is that good or bad, or how/why do have some terraforming and some don't?

Whoops, hold on.

Is that $L750 a ONE TIME purchase fee?  Did you pay it to a rental box, or did you click the "Buy Land" button in World/Parcel Details/General tab?  If you paid a rental box, it's a rental charge (most likely for a week's rent) and you don't own the land, you're renting it.  If you OWN the land, you can terraform it (within limits).  If you RENT the land, you may or may not have terraforming privileges, depending on your landlord's policies.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Whoops, hold on.

Is that $L750 a ONE TIME purchase fee?  Did you pay it to a rental box, or did you click the "Buy Land" button in World/Parcel Details/General tab?  If you paid a rental box, it's a rental charge (most likely for a week's rent) and you don't own the land, you're renting it.  If you OWN the land, you can terraform it (within limits).  If you RENT the land, you may or may not have terraforming privileges, depending on your landlord's policies.

So it was payment I did to the land on mainland. It didnt day anything about rental and it showed up with the yellow price tag on the map as Alyona suggested looking that way to view land sales. 

It said the parcel was able to be combined or separated, with others, also resellable but it didn't have terraforming. There was no convenant or groups or anything associated with it either and I didn't see any mailboxes or anything that said renta anywhere on the property, around the property, 

So From my understanding it was a land purchase, at least I really hope so haha. Otherwise that's gonna be a disappointment!

i can show you the property if that'd be easier to help understand it. 

6 minutes ago, KaydinLynn said:

It said the parcel was able to be combined or separated, with others, also resellable but it didn't have terraforming

yes there are some areas of mainland that do not allow terraforming

if you still not sure if you actually have mainland then check in About Land

About Land \ General \ Type: Mainland / Full Region

14 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes there are some areas of mainland that do not allow terraforming

if you still not sure if you actually have mainland then check in About Land

About Land \ General \ Type: Mainland / Full Region

I'm 98% sure it did say it was on mainland, I made sure to check that (I always second gusss myself). So it must just be a spot that doesn't have terraforming then. Didn't know some did and didn't or why. 

1 minute ago, KaydinLynn said:

I'm 98% sure it did say it was on mainland, I made sure to check that (I always second gusss myself). So it must just be a spot that doesn't have terraforming then. Didn't know some did and didn't or why. 

i am inworld now. If you want send me a IM and I can come and have a look for you

17 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i am inworld now. If you want send me a IM and I can come and have a look for you

Currently not in-world, actually getting ready to sleep! (I've slept like 8-10 hours in the last 48 hours) but I will be on tomorrow night/evening or possibly when I get up if you're available to tomorrow. 

Just now, KaydinLynn said:

Currently not in-world, actually getting ready to sleep! (I've slept like 8-10 hours in the last 48 hours) but I will be on tomorrow night/evening or possibly when I get up if you're available to tomorrow. 

no sleep! wooo! you new SL home owning addict you :D

go to bed, and have a good sleep. Tomorrow is good

• Like 1

If I need an extra piece of land for a project, I use Firestorm's mainland search tool, which lets me sort all available mainland by price-per-square-meter.  Then I buy the cheapest appropriate parcel of the size I need.  This is a good way to get parcels for breedables, etc., where you want the land to carry script for you but don't want to live there.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.