Waterhorse Pathfinding

Deluza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there, 

I can not seem to find out if Pathfinding is enabled in the Mainland?  Some blogs say it is and has been for some time, others say many sims have it turned off.  We own a Mainland parcel, we have our place set up on Mainland ground...not using a prim.  We both have Animesh Waterhorses that we would like to wander the property....however all we can seem to do is get them to "treadmill" (walk in one spot).  We followed the instructions below and got a no permission error.  We did a view/test and can see the ground green..apparently that means walkable..??  If Pathfinding is set up, what are we doing wrong?  Is it us, the horse, or the land??  I would like to note that we just moved...previously we had our land on a prim in the sky...I did set the prim to walkable and we followed all the instructions and the Horse behaved the exact same way...just walked in one spot.  

on nIDI9cX.png?1 e spot). 

5 answers to this question

Pathfinding should be enabled everywhere on the Mainland.  Unfortunately, I never use it, so I can't offer you any specific advice, except maybe to file a support case and see if LL can help.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Setting up pathfinding is hard.

I have a cheap pathfinding tester on Marketplace that can be useful. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Come-Here/16384094 You rez it, and touch it, and it comes to you. That's all it does. If it works, the surface is working for pathfinding. If it doesn't work, the surface needs more pathfinding setup.

Bare Linden ground usually pathfinds fine. Indoor pathfinding takes a lot of fussy setup. You're on Linden ground, right? Not a skybox or something.

As Lindal says, regions on the Mainland all have Pathfinding enabled, so your horse should behave properly if it contains a script that defines its Pathfinding behavior.  Without a proper script, the horse won't know what to do other than move its legs in place.

Pathfinding (PF) has some issues. Script load in the region has a MAJOR impact on PF. PF runs ONLY in script spare time. So, the recent issues with highly reduced free script time is having an impact. Also, if people are building in the region PF is going to have issues.

So, watch the region stats.

Thank you all for the information.  We will check the stats of the sim and check the script of the horse.   animats, I purchased your tool, that is correct we are on Linden ground...when I get back inworld I will test it.  I am thinking it might just be easier to buy Teegle horses to wander the property.  lol

Deluza

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.