Question with mirroring linked object

lomemori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I recently got the skybox, but wanted to try it to mirror so I can make it wider. I am very new to scripting, and by reading the threads related to my question, I saw some people said it's impossible, or some people said it's possible but need to take risk. I did saw there was an old thread with script shard but it's made in 2005 so I don't think this will work anymore. Marketplace does have some mirroring items already, but the ones recommended by other users are pretty expensive.

My skybox is modifiable, but no copy. Is there any way to mirroring skybox object other than getting the items in marketplace?

I am using TDE Industrial loft skybox, just in case. 

I think you are probably referring to Jeffrey Gomez's system, Magic  Mirror, which uses a very simple pair of scripts.  One is in the original object to be copied.  The other is in a brand new prim.  When you click on the original, its script grabs all of the prim parameters and sends them to the script in the other object, when you can choose to have them mirrored across any plane.  It was a popular tool for its time (2005), but of course was always limited to working with individual prims rather than linksets.  And won't do anything for a mesh object.  I'm not sure that the Magic Mirror is still distributed in SL but many of us still have it kicking around in inventory.

If your skybox is made from linked prims, then yes, there are tools around to flip linksets .. just don't get your hopes up for a perfect result (the prims will flip fine, textures not so much)

Mesh items can not be mirrored at all inside SL, even though from a technical perspective they would be the easiest.

9 hours ago, steph Arnott said:

Is due to the legal matter of ownership.

No, it's because SL doesn't support negative object sizes ... there is no legal issue with my buying something from someone, rezzing it and then inverting it left to right, just like no one can stop me listening to ABBA backwards for all the secret-satan messages.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CoffeeDujour said:

No, it's because SL doesn't support negative object sizes ... there is no legal issue with my buying something from someone, rezzing it and then inverting it left to right, just like no one can stop me listening to ABBA backwards for all the secret-satan messages.

That is the best response I have heard in a long while. Feel free to take a handful of points 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Even if you played ABBA backwards it is still the legal property of ABBA and not yours. So if you change your backwards ABBA, recorded it and put your name as the creator then you will be sued. LR made it not possible because there is no way they could retain the original creators name and permissions. It is a legal matter and nothing to do with your woolly ideas.

4 hours ago, steph Arnott said:

Even if you played ABBA backwards it is still the legal property of ABBA and not yours. So if you change your backwards ABBA, recorded it and put your name as the creator then you will be sued. LR made it not possible because there is no way they could retain the original creators name and permissions. It is a legal matter and nothing to do with your woolly ideas.

No one is suggesting that the original creators information would be stripped or need to be stripped.

Inverting an object (if SL supported negative sizes) would not change any of the attached meta data, it would just invert the legitimately owned, licences and credited version the customer had bought.

Is this why people sell stuff no mod? They actually believe that making a modification removes permissions and credits?

Just now, CoffeeDujour said:

No one is suggesting that the original creators information would be stripped or need to be stripped.

Inverting an object (if SL supported negative sizes) would not change any of the attached meta data, it would just invert the legitimately owned, licences and credited version the customer had bought.

Is this why people sell stuff no mod? They actually believe that making a modification removes permissions and credits?

It is a creator legal matter. End of. Good day. Take it up with LR if you want to argue about it. They will either ignore you or state they are legally adhering to law.

22 minutes ago, steph Arnott said:

It is a creator legal matter. End of. Good day.

I thought you had thrown a hissy fit and stomped off, my bad ..

6 minutes ago, steph Arnott said:

Still not getting the legal point are you?

Modification does not change the creator of the work.

Inversion is a modification.

There is a huge difference between what I do for personal use and what I do for commercial purposes with someone else's IP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I thought you had thrown a hissy fit and stomped off, my bad ..

Modification does not change the creator of the work.

Inversion is a modification.

There is a huge difference between what I do for personal use and what I do for commercial purposes with someone else's IP.

You just don't get it do you? FYI you own nothining is SL. ZERO.

6 minutes ago, KT Kingsley said:

Does this mean I can't modify anything I buy in any way even if it has modify permissions? Or just that I can't invert stuff even if it has modify permissions? Which I can't. Except, I think, sculpted prims?

Just mirror stuff that is mesh.

Oh, I have that skybox! Yeah, you can't mirror it. It's an assembly of meshes, and there's no way to mirror a mesh instance.

There's lots you can do with it, though. For example, unless you're really happy with the lighting scripts, I'd suggest ripping out all the scripts and replacing them with one you write yourself to fit your own needs. There are also ways to (slightly) reduce the total Land Impact by linking only parts with weights that complement each other, instead of one giant linkset.

But I'm a little confused: the product I have is definitely Copy perm and that's the way it's listed on the Marketplace. Maybe there was some gacha version at some point? If it were me, I'd sure try to get that exchanged for a copiable one before I started modifying it.

Oh, also, you mentioned mirroring it to make it wider. Not exactly what you have in mind, but that little door in the wall? I turned that into a collision-triggered Experience teleporter, so I walk through it into a hallway elsewhere on the sim, and through doors in the hallway to other destinations.

5 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

One issue with mirroring is that the "revolution" prim setting only goes clockwise if i recall. Unless there is a trick I'm not aware of.

IIRC, though, you can keep rotating through successive 90 degree turns, so rotating 270 degrees instead of -90.  I haven;t used that system in many years, but I think that's true.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.