Animations smooth transition and ZHAO HUD

ainst Composer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I have a question on animations and ZHAO HUD. I have a few bento animations, but they do not transit smoothly. Is it possible to make a smooth transition between animations? using a script or something else? 

Edited by ainst Composer

You can get animations which "ease in" and "ease out". That has to be set in the animation file itself. Go to one of the animation stores which has a test platform, and try switching rapidly between animations. Some match better than others. Switching between animations made by different creators often results in a jump or unrealistic movement.

I'm currently trying a system in my animesh pathfinding NPCs where the next animation is started before the previous one is stopped. There's a short delay between starting and stopping. Right now that's 0.1 sec. This helps a bit. I use this mostly when switching between walk and turn animations.

1 hour ago, animats said:

I'm currently trying a system in my animesh pathfinding NPCs where the next animation is started before the previous one is stopped. There's a short delay between starting and stopping. Right now that's 0.1 sec. This helps a bit. I use this mostly when switching between walk and turn animations.

Can a script even play more than one object animation at once? THis approach sure won't work in AOs as scripts can only play one avatar animtion at a time... sure... you can have multiple animation scripts listening to linkset communication... but that usually is a mess and you do not want to go there.

Edited by Fionalein

Sure you can play more than one animation at once. If you're in Firestorm, press F2, and your avatar claps. Press up arrow, and your avatar walks. Press both at the same time, and your avatar claps and walks simultaneously.

See llGetAnimationList() and llGetObjectAnimations().

Edited by animats

There is an issue with script calls when pairing a bento animation and a body animation for which the bento joints do not start playing. If, for example, you want "cool stand" animation (non bento, body only) to play back and fire "cool hands for stand" (bento animation, fingers only) is not going to work in ZHAO II even when using the method "first animation , second animation"

On 4/2/2019 at 2:19 AM, Fionalein said:

Can a script even play more than one object animation at once? THis approach sure won't work in AOs as scripts can only play one avatar animtion at a time

Not entirely true, ZHAO II is set up to take advantage of layered animations as seen in the default walk, where the upper body is driven by a priority 2 animation that differs between male and female and a priority 3 animation that runs on the lower body on both genders, as described here http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Internal_Animations 

walk 6ed24bd8-91aa-4b12-ccc7-c97c857ab4e0 avatar_walk.bvh 3 & 0 Yes[1] Automatically replaced by female_walk if female shape is worn (priority 3 for pelvis and legs, 0 for everything else)

As usual LL's documentation is not accurate, but if you use the developer tools in the viewer you can see that there are two animations playing back when walking (with no AO attached), and switching gender replaces the animation that is playing on the upper body. This is an issue that was brought up at the Bento Project meeting and Vir Linden is perfectly aware of this, but, as usual, nothing has been done about it (it is easier to drop the ball in the creators' hands with a "you can script a work around to make it work")

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OptimoMaximo said:

As usual LL's documentation is not accurate, but if you use the developer tools in the viewer you can see that there are two animations playing back when walking (with no AO attached), and switching gender replaces the animation that is playing on the upper body. This is an issue that was brought up at the Bento Project meeting and Vir Linden is perfectly aware of this, but, as usual, nothing has been done about it (it is easier to drop the ball in the creators' hands with a "you can script a work around to make it work")  

Does this change the fact it is "one single animation" from LSL's  point of view? How that single animation is actually represented on the simulator does not matter to LSL. (Though it might count to the 30 animations limit)

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Does this change the fact it is "one single animation" from LSL's  point of view? How that single animation is actually represented on the simulator does not matter to LSL. (Though it might count to the 30 animations limit)

Yes, as they are called by the script in two separate sequential llStartAnimation, it is perceived by the user as a single animation. Howerver animations are client side, only the asset server is aware of animations files being sent to the client, the simulator itself doesn't even know that animations exist.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.