Using ALT to purchase more Lindin?

Jaysson Turbo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Say you ran out of monthly Lindin. Instead of waiting a month for it to reset. Could you add the same CC to an ALT and buy more Lindin? Is this against Terms of Service. Many reasons I won't likely do this even if it is not against TOS. However I searched hard for the answer. And could not find it. I feel like Lindin would see this like it's some sort of scammer with my card. lol And they impose the limit for a reason. But you would think they would openly state don't use an ALT to bypass the limit. This is against TOS. And maybe they do. I just can't find it.

Thanks. 

P.S I'm not trying to exploit the system or find a loop hole. Which is why I'm asking this. Following the rules is my #1 priority.

Edited by Jaysson Turbo

lots of people use the same payment method for all of their accounts. Doing this is ok in the main

If you are unsure about doing this then file a support ticket with LL and tell them what you want to do and ask if it will be ok. Then you and LL will have a record of what you are doing

Technically, it is possible, but the reason LL has this in place is to prevent fraud. Using alts to bypass the spending limit(in excess) might result in the fraud prevention team suspending your accounts for safety reasons.

Although I am not allowed to interpret the Terms of Service on behalf of users. I can point you in the potential right direction. Section 3.1 talks about Linden Dollars and their acceptable use: https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions

The BEST and PROPER way to do this, is to request a spending limit increase(or decrease if you so please). To do so, create a new ticket on the support page and make a "Billing > LindeX Limits Review" ticket. Please be sure to include the maximum or minimum you would like your spending limit set to.

You can also see your current spending limits here: https://accounts.secondlife.com/lindex/economic_limits

I hope this helps!

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 2

Adding and using payment info for an alt will start that alt with day 0 limits.  You would ne better off just waiting for earlier purchases to roll off the 30 day limit.  However, if you feel like you may need to do this in the future, go ahead and buy a little bit on an alt now to get through the early account limits.

I have used the same card on my main and my alts for years with no problems.  However I have never run into the monthly limits since making it through the 1st month on any account.  So ... maybe my spending needs don't rate as much as yours.

Thanks I may request a spending limit increase. All my alts are like 7+ years old. But I think they predated the current system so they are starting off with $100 a month limit. Which I normally don't use $100 a month. But I'm coming back for the first time so I am. lol I will probably submit a credit limit increase ticket. I won't use my alts as I agree it could be seen as a potential scam etc.

I don't see an issue if you buy all Linden Dollars on the Alt with the biggest limit, or over multiples with the aim not to exceed that one single amount.
I (personally) do see an issue if you combine three Alts US$2000 limits to get US$6000.

As with all airy-fairy Lab TOS rulings, err on the side of caution.

The clock starts the first time you buy $L, regardless of how old your account is.

After the first month, your limits go up to $1,999...far more than enough for most people.

And if you are spending $100 your first month, you're doing it wrong.  You should be able to equip an avatar and even buy some land and a house for less than that!

14 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

The clock starts the first time you buy $L, regardless of how old your account is.

After the first month, your limits go up to $1,999...far more than enough for most people.

And if you are spending $100 your first month, you're doing it wrong.  You should be able to equip an avatar and even buy some land and a house for less than that!

Did this change recently? I am asking because a year or more ago they turned back that limit to 999 for "most folks" and I had to petition to get it raised this summer.   

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Did this change recently? I am asking because a year or more ago they turned back that limit to 999 for "most folks" and I had to petition to get it raised this summer.   

I just checked my own account.  My Process Credit limit is, indeed, limited to $999 per month.  But I can buy or sell up to $1,999 worth of $L, which is what the OP was concerned about.

What kind of spending limit do you need? Unless you're becoming a land baron, the usual US$2000/month limit should be far more than you need. If you have a business need to spend far more, I'm sure that Linden Labs would be glad to talk to you about it. You have to pay tier and buy full sims US dollars, anyway.

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

While I agree, you don't start with a $100 limit. You start with a $30 limit, and that only increased to $100 after a few days. $30 will buy you a mainstream mesh body and head and almost nothing else; you'll need more for a few outfits to get you started. Or at least that's how it was for me a few months back.

The best part of that process was how even LL customer support had no idea when my limit would go up to $100, so I was left in the dark, not knowing if I'd have to spend my first mesh-month in a bikini. That was fun.

• Like 1

Within 24 hours of me posting my original message here. My limit went up to 300USD. I did submit a ticket but the reply was no we can't increase your limit. I only wanted 150 USD. But the person said that it went up to 300 USD and that was automatic. lol So I now have more than I will ever need. Unless I win the lottery... If I win 24+ million dollars I'm going to own 1-3 Private Regions. And I will need a higher limit! lol But.... I don't see that happening.

Thanks for everyone who helped. The moral of the story is it never hurts to ask Lindin Labs for help. They often won't raise your limit. But sometimes things still work out in the end.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2045 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.