Group Messages

FreddieBroome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, FreddieBroome said:

is this a known problem and how can I fix it?

yes, and you can't ..

in the past groups were good
got worse
got really bad
was repaired and worked on
works reasonable now... but still some bugs pop up now and than.
Could start about the original meanig for groups wasn't the mass use we see now..but will save you the lecture :)

• Like 1

If you ever discover a smart filter like that, please share. I could use one for my RL mailbox too.  These days, 90% of my mail consists of: (1) bills, (2) appeals for money, and (3) advertisements for unrequested products.  (Until last Tuesday, the mail also included a flood of political stuff, which was either in category 2 or 3. At least that's gone now.) I toss almost everything except the bills, a couple of magazines, and an occasional catalog.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If you ever discover a smart filter like that, please share. I could use one for my RL mailbox too.  These days, 90% of my mail consists of: (1) bills, (2) appeals for money, and (3) advertisements for unrequested products.  (Until last Tuesday, the mail also included a flood of political stuff, which was either in category 2 or 3. At least that's gone now.) I toss almost everything except the bills, a couple of magazines, and an occasional catalog.

And since 99% of my bills come via email, the vast majority of days every bit of my mail is junk and gets trashed.

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Email in RL is spam ridden. If you have a business where your email address has to be out there, you get flooded with spam. For a time my business account was getting 4,000+ emails per day. I have to start filtering.

Having accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, and other social services will get you on a ton of email lists. Playing Android, iPad/Phone games will get you on a bunch more mailing lists.

There are filtering services. Gmail has spam filters you can enable and tweak. This will limit your spam to just Google advertisers... :/ Same with Microsoft and Yahoo.

If you have email via your website hosting company, like Go Daddy, then their email servers have spam filters.

All of these fall short. They help, but most find them lacking. So, there are commercial products. Cloudmark was the best but, they closed. Now SpamFighter is the best I've found. They do a reasonable job of detecting what is and isn't spam. 

Gmail's spam filter is actually pretty darn good.  Unlike Comcast's that can't seem to figure out anything without me prompting it.

For real mail, I would love an "opt out" for political stuff entirely, as well as other various mailings.  I've even dropped charities from my normal contribution list if I get tons of spam mail from them - it doesn't stop the spam, but I feel better not contributing my money to the spam.

Now that we've derailed this thread nicely...................

:SwingingFriends:

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.