IF I buy my own sim - what settings should I use?

PinkkFroid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm considering purchasing my own sim. Building, etc. is not a problem, lots of experience with that! But in terms of having a secure sim, what do you recommend?

I would be the owner and responsible for payment. It would primarily be a home for a group, and the group members should be able to build and interact with the items on the sim. I'm not renting out parcels, at least not now. Maybe in the future. I don't want to leave myself open for a problem down the road. I read about deeding the property to the group, but I'm not sure exactly what that does or why I should. 

So please, weigh in. And thank you!

Edited by PinkkFroid
typo

if this is your first sim then keep it all in your name til you have worked with all the estate and parcel tools for a time. Estate and parcel tools serve different purposes

if you want to take the first step to group activity then set the region parcel to your group, but keep ownership of that same region parcel in your own name, basically don't Deed the parcel to group. Then can assign group powers to different people as you become more familiar with the group parcel settings

Deeding parcels to group is only really of benefit when 2 or more people jointly own the group and any parcels that belongs to the group, parcels/regions which all the owners are paying for. If you don't ever see a need to be in a ownership partnership with anyone then deeding serves little to no purpose

deeding to a group is a excellent way to do what you want, just be sure only you and a alt are owners and no others!
Using the group makes you can give several abilities to different people.

Jus set the land to the group will make that most abilities in a group don't work. Think that's not a strong solution if you want your group use the sim.

For other settings: disable terraform :) or others will make a mess of your landscaping, also enable auto return, it will keep the objects rezzed low, only groups objects will stay.

The use of a landingpoint, orbs and restricted access are also tools to use for safety and overview

Once you own a region the first lesson is... It's not called a sim.

An estate owner has the ability to reclaim a parcel at any time, so it's pretty easy to chop and change that part. The main advantage is one of auto return.

I would suggest you create a land group that has the rights to rez permanent items in your region. People who build in this group - with the aim of leaving the objects in your region forever - should place all objects in that group.

Then you can decide about non-permanent items.

Option 1: In my public region I allow everyone to place things, I have auto-return set to 2 hours. To make sure nothing temporary stays I rarely invite people to the land group.

Option 2: Others prefer to lock the region down so visitors don't have any build rights. This will require that you invite everyone you want to build into the land group.

Option 3: I would strongly suggest against leaving the region's land in your name alone. It will make cleanup and control impossible.

i just chime in again. If this is your first time owning a region then don't start messing about with deeding until you know how the estate and parcel controls actually work

you start out with group deeding without knowing how it all works, and in your immediate joy at being a newbie region owner you invite people to that group and hand out parcel rights like lollies  then you will set yourself up with a bunch of friends who you can't take rights back from without a whole heap of social discomfit and hurt

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I need this tattoo'd on my bum

Me too! Especially after being ever so gently reminded of that fact by Patch himself. :) 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you to everyone for their helpful responses. I have learned that proper vocabulary is important! (And I don't mean that in anything other than honest appreciation for your help.)  So I have my region, and it is an estate and can be separated into parcels, if I'm reading this right.  ?

Yes, this would be my first sim. Elle, I will definitely take it slow, and play with things first. Your points about building and who can/should be allowed are very good ones. Thank you Ethan for your additional suggestions about landing point and security. Callum, could you please expand on your Option 3? I don't follow why keeping the region in my name would be an issue for cleanup and control. 

And I'm off to read more in the knowledge base, now that I have a better understanding. Thank you all again. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PinkkFroid said:

So I have my region, and it is an estate and can be separated into parcels, if I'm reading this right.  

Every region belongs to an Estate.  An Estate can have one or more regions.  A region owner can have one or more Estates.  A region can be divided into parcels as the owner wishes, perhaps to be let to tenants, or to distinguish public from private land (for instance if you have a rezzing area for bought items or vehicles).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 3:18 AM, Callum Meriman said:

Pinkk, please keep in mind that there are many people who feel the need to show how much they "know". 

You will figure out how to sift through the nonsense posts with time. There are a few people in the forums who I consider trolls. You can click on any name of a poster to see their other posts. 

You can deed your land to a group you own without giving up any rights or control. As long as you are the owner of the group, you will have the same control as you would if you left the land in your own name. Many landowners do this to get the additional prim allowance.

Feel free to IM me with questions.

On 11/6/2018 at 2:21 PM, PinkkFroid said:

Callum, could you please expand on your Option 3? I don't follow why keeping the region in my name would be an issue for cleanup and control. 

If your region is public access, and you have the land in your name + you wish others to rez = you can't use auto-return, so you need to manually clean up any trash.

If your region is public access, and the land is grouped + you wish the public to rez = auto-return can clean up the ungrouped trash for you, you need to manually clean up grouped trash.

9 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Pinkk, please keep in mind that there are many people who feel the need to show how much they "know". 

No need to call me a troll. The reason many estate owners (and the Lab) try to drill the correct word is that it is the word Concierge will use it in tickets. As simulator has a different meaning to region, getting into the habit of using the correct name means there is less chance of a mistake when you need to write your own ticket to concierge. 

11 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Many landowners do this to get the additional prim allowance.

On mainland grouping allows you to hold 10% extra meterage for free. In your own region it has no bonus. The allowance is fixed at a maximum of 5000 for a homestead region, and 20000 for a full region, with an option to pay extra to increase a full region to 30000.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

No need to call me a troll. The reason many estate owners (and the Lab) try to drill the correct word is that it is the word Concierge will use it in tickets. As simulator has a different meaning to region, getting into the habit of using the correct name means there is less chance of a mistake when you need to write your own ticket to concierge. 

On mainland grouping allows you to hold 10% extra meterage for free. In your own region it has no bonus. The allowance is fixed at a maximum of 5000 for a homestead region, and 20000 for a full region, with an option to pay extra to increase a full region to 30000.

I did not call you out as such by name , but if the shoe fits.............

You seemed to take glee (taking the time to underline and color text) in your "correction" of his language.  

No one is "trying to drill" in language except you and other people without purpose.

Edited by Annabell Wandsworth
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

is also some who don't own an estate private region who think they know about owning an estate region when they don't

so good advice for Pinkk. Don't listen to people who think they know about stuff they have never owned

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

No one is "trying to drill" in language except you and other people without purpose.

Pretty sure more than once a linden has pointed out to us in the forums we should use the term Region and not Sim.  I know this because I was guilty of using the wrong term.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Pretty sure more than once a linden has pointed out to us in the forums we should use the term Region and not Sim. 

A few times. Here is one:

a36647d13e5cc4eb39004602bd5e382a.thumb.png.1d1220e8f919e7b8afcd86dea773bacc.png

12 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

You seemed to take glee (taking the time to underline and color text) in your "correction" of his language.  

Sorry you thought using red to highlight the wrong word was trollish. It wasn't meant to be.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.