You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:14 AM, Orwar said:

I'm not sure why anyone would 'hate' the Roman Empire. It happened, it can't be undone, it's been almost two millennia since - get over it. As for wanting it back... I know a guy who wanted it back. Let's not try that again, hm?
Image result for adolf hitler

sup, couldn't find a picture of  Il Duce?

benito-mussolini-2.jpg

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Sorry, but the only reference to Dacian gold  I found was this.

https://www.daciangold.com.au/site/content/

Are you sure the Romans invaded Australia?

They conquered the whole world, didn't they?

There was also a country named Dacia In Europe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia

The Romans didn't actually exterminate the entire Dacian population of course, they just bragged about it. As usual, "ordinary people" didn't really count either way. They just kept on struggling under new oppressors without noticing much difference. And of course, there were quite a few more prominent citizens who realized in time which side their bread was buttered on.

The bottom line is that it was a brutal, ruthless world. For centuries, the Roman top dogs were the most brutal and ruthless ones so they were able to dominate everybody else. History is written by the victors and the romantic (that word says a lot itself actually) image we tend to have of them is very much based on their propaganda. Once you start to examine the inconsistencies in the stories, you get a very different picture fast.

Edit: I think I'll add another example of the Great Roman Civilization here:

At one boint during the battle of Alesia, the deciding battle of Julius Caesar's conquest of Gaul, had a brilliant idea to demoralize his opponents. He gathered all the Gallic women and children he had managed to capture, drove them into no man's land and let the Gallic warriors watch as their mothers, wives and children slowly starved to death. Caesar was quite proud of that idea, he brags about it in his memoirs.

Edited by ChinRey

18 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

They conquered the whole world, didn't they?

There was also a country named Dacia In Europe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia

The Romans didn't actually exterminate the entire Dacian population of course, they just bragged about it. As usual, "ordinary people" didn't really count either way. They just kept on struggling under new oppressors without noticing much difference. And of course, there were quie a few more prominent citizens who realized in time which side their bread was buttered on.

Oh I know,  I searched and read about the Dacians, but I thought the link I provided would be amusing.

And yes, it never pays to  be a bitter-ender.

Lee’s Farewell Address to the Army of Northern Virginia

After four years of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

I need not tell the brave survivors of so many hard fought battles, who have remained steadfast to the last, that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them; but feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that must have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement, officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from a consciousness of duty faithfully performed; and I earnestly pray that a Merciful God will extend to you His blessings and protection.

With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your Country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration for myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell.

Robert_Edward_Lee.jpg

Edited by Phorumities
added stuff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Does anybody really want to go back to that time?

I sure wouldn't. However, Mary Beard claims there was a time when Rome was very cosmopolitan (some time in the 1st century) where citizens of various religious orientations and ethnicities could live side-by-side as long as they had allegiance to Rome (as opposed to how various groups are stratified in cities in the USA -- like Chinatown or the typical area where blacks live in many metropolitan areas, for example). I thought that was pretty cool, if true, that a society existed for a time so long ago in greater harmony than much of the world lives today. Would like to find out if Dr. Beard was simply romanticizing a bit too much, but she has done her research.

However the economic stratifications were still there creating injustice of course, not to mention the horrors of what happened to these people's ancestors when they were conquered by Rome to become its citizens.

Edited by Luna Bliss

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I sure wouldn't. However, Mary Beard claims there was a time when Rome was very cosmopolitan (some time in the 1st century) where citizens of various religious orientations and ethnicities could live side-by-side as long as they had allegiance to Rome (as opposed to how various groups are stratified in cities in the USA -- like Chinatown or the typical area where blacks live in many metropolitan areas, for example). I thought that was pretty cool, if true, that a society existed for a time so long ago in greater harmony than much of the world lives today. Would like to find out if Dr. Beard was simply romanticizing a bit too much, but she has done her research.

However the enconomic stratifications were still there creating injustice of course, not to mention the horrors of what happened to these people's ancestors when they were conquered by Rome to become its citizens.

OMG, Anywhere anyplace and anytime is better to you than present day America isn't it?

16 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

No, you used the thread about Rome to once again trash the United States of America

Phorumities, try to stay on topic. The OP asked our opinion on the Roman Empire and I gave it....the bad and the good (albeit presently I only see one positive aspect related to how differing members of that society lived alongside each other). We simply can't understand one society or evaluate its worthiness without comparing it to others.

The problem here is that you can't deal with anybody saying something bad about your precious 'Murica.  This thread is NOT about your obsession with America.
I'm not going to say anything else about this Phorumities, so if you carry on you'll be talking to yourself, and derailing.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Phorumities, try to stay on topic. The OP asked our opinion on the Roman Empire and I gave it....the bad and the good (albeit presently I only see one positive aspect related to how differing members of that society lived alongside each other). We simply can't understand one society or evaluate its worthiness without comparing it to others.

The problem here is that you can't deal with anybody saying something bad about your precious 'Murica.  This thread is NOT about your obsession with America.
I'm not going to say anything else about this Phorumities, so if you carry on you'll be talking to yourself, and derailing.

You mentioned America first, not me. I'm entitled to reply and thats MY last word before you report me for "harassing" you

4 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Did they have popcorn in Rome? Hmm, I guess not, microwaves were not invented back then.

America wasn't invented back then either so there was no maize. And neither wheat nor rye pop very well. They did have hamburgers though

12 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

America wasn't invented back then either so there was no maize. 

No maize, but corn started in mexico 7000 years or so ago with zea mays parviglumis, then as it was crossbred it headed south to the great empires down there.

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2017 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.