I want to know how does someone or some people keep finding where i am

AikoYH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Recently there has been some people that had been showing up on the sim i go, this had happen weeks ago when they got inside the skybox i have as home, a few times they kept going in and now i kept seeing them on sims i either regulary go or sims i look for, i want to know if there is a way that these people could be following me around without me knowing or something of the source.

If any have an idea of how this is happening i would appreciate it a lot.

Edited by AikoYH
  • Like 1

19 answers to this question

You don't need special tools and you don't need to be very smart to follow most people in SL.  If you are like me, you tend to visit many places frequently, and you tend to socialize with the same people all the time.  Anyone with mild skills as a detective can use that information to predict where you are likely to be. If those people are not causing you any harm, just ignore them. They are no more dangerous than the people that you see every time you go to the grocery store in RL.  If they do bother you, and if they seem to be violating the TOS in some way, submit an Abuse Report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AikoYH said:

Recently there has been some people that had been showing up on the sim i go, this had happen weeks ago when they got inside the skybox i have as home, a few times they kept going in and now i kept seeing them on sims i either regulary go or sims i look for, this user names are "[removed" and "[removed]" and another one i dont remember right now, i want to know if there is a way that these people could be following me around without me knowing or something of the source.

If any have an idea of how this is happening i would appreciate it a lot.

You need to remove the names from your post.  Its against the forum guidelines to name and shame people

• Like 1

there are a few ways people can find where you are.  Clues in your profile or groups.  They may be friends of friends or alts of friends.  Have you ever worn anything given to you by someone else?   If they aren't doing anything to you other than show up, just block, mute, ignore and get on with your SL

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You don't need special tools and you don't need to be very smart to follow most people in SL.  If you are like me, you tend to visit many places frequently, and you tend to socialize with the same people all the time.  Anyone with mild skills as a detective can use that information to predict where you are likely to be. If those people are not causing you any harm, just ignore them. They are no more dangerous than the people that you see every time you go to the grocery store in RL.  If they do bother you, and if they seem to be violating the TOS in some way, submit an Abuse Report.

I don't talk to people around the places i go or tell anyone else about those places, i know i  should just ignore them but i can't when it happens, thats why im asking if there is a way people do that, i've been friends long ago with people that have alts and that are not my friends anymore, so im a bit paranoid that it could be them or just some people following where i go to mess with me

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AikoYH said:

i know i  should just ignore them but i can't when it happens, thats why im asking if there is a way people do that

No.  Just mute and ignore.  Unless someone is actually doing something to harm you, they have as much right to be where they are as you do. Just assume that they are enjoying the same things that you like.  Don't pay any attention to them.  Your only other option is to start a brand new account (an alt), move to a new part of SL, and never go back to the places you are enjoying now.  That seems a bit overboard to me, though.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AikoYH said:

thank you for your answers, but that still doesnt explain me how they keep finding where im going if im not telling anyone else about it.

I am reading 3 or 4 posts in this thread that explain how tracking is possible and what is likely happening. So, what is it you are wanting to hear?

To know if you are online, anyone in a group you are also in can easily look up your online status. It is also reasonably easy to study the various group lists and see what time of day you are usually online.

What is they do that suggests they are stalking you? Just being in the same place at the same time is NOT evidence. I see people I know by sight that visit some of the same clubs and shops I do. I may visit 3 events and see a couple or more of the same people at all three events. It is NOT me they are interested in. It is the clubs and events. So, the question comes up as to whether this is a real issue or an imagined issue.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

there are a few ways people can find where you are.  Clues in your profile or groups.  They may be friends of friends or alts of friends.  Have you ever worn anything given to you by someone else?   If they aren't doing anything to you other than show up, just block, mute, ignore and get on with your SL

They dont do anything, they only show up and go away when they see me, i haven't worn or accepted anything from anyone strange before this happened, i don't share or give clues to where i go either, it still bothers me, i don't know if there is a way to stop this or something.

Edited by AikoYH

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

No.  Just mute and ignore.  Unless someone is actually doing something to harm you, they have as much right to be where they are as you do. Just assume that they are enjoying the same things that you like.  Don't pay any attention to them.  Your only other option is to start a brand new account (an alt), move to a new part of SL, and never go back to the places you are enjoying now.  That seems a bit overboard to me, though.

Well, thank you, i still believe there is more to it or something fishy going on behind it, but thank you anyways.

1 hour ago, AikoYH said:

Well, thank you, i still believe there is more to it or something fishy going on behind it, but thank you anyways.

If I saw you somewhere and wanted to appear like I was stalking you, I could use a script to get notified every time you log on/off and then I could simply monitor the map for whenever green dots appear in the sims that I knew you went to.  When I saw a green do appear in said sim, I could TP there just to freak you out.  It is easy and really only requires knowing a tad bit about your normal habits.

2 hours ago, AikoYH said:

this had happen weeks ago when they got inside the skybox i have as home

For this part:  If you have access to your land's Access tab, add them to the ban list.  Also, via the Land tabs - I forget the exact one - you can set it so that nobody outside of your parcel can actually see you or hear your chat.  You can also get a security orb that only allows the people you specify to come to your home/area. 

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If I saw you somewhere and wanted to appear like I was stalking you, I could use a script to get notified every time you log on/off and then I could simply monitor the map for whenever green dots appear in the sims that I knew you went to.  When I saw a green do appear in said sim, I could TP there just to freak you out.  It is easy and really only requires knowing a tad bit about your normal habits.

For this part:  If you have access to your land's Access tab, add them to the ban list.  Also, via the Land tabs - I forget the exact one - you can set it so that nobody outside of your parcel can actually see you or hear your chat.  You can also get a security orb that only allows the people you specify to come to your home/area. 

thank you for your answers, but that still doesnt explain me how they keep finding where im going if im not telling anyone else about it.

37 minutes ago, AikoYH said:

Are you going to the same places that you went to before?  Places where they might have seen you before - or one of their alts?

If you go somewhere that you have truly never ever been before, do they show up?  If so, I'd double check all items that you are wearing.

38 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you going to the same places that you went to before?  Places where they might have seen you before - or one of their alts?

If you go somewhere that you have truly never ever been before, do they show up?  If so, I'd double check all items that you are wearing.

yes they had been on somewhere i never been twice, and thanks i would check my all attachments

If you join a group or profile pick the place that you only just venutured to the first time they can find you through that,  even if it's your first time there.

People can find you through search they can also find when your online if you haven't set online to friends only.

They can join groups to see when your on or not on.

There are huds also available to show when someone logs in or off the person just has to add your name to it.

Skyboxes most are advertised in the renters office and have the pay boxes there. If your concerned and long term renter you can ask your landlord to put the rental box to your skybox and see if they can provide you with an orb or access to the add and bann allow list on about land.

If your landlord is the estate owner/manager he or she can add the names to a region bann list if they are causing concern.

If they just pop in and out of your home use and orb and bann if it's places you go to then let the owners know.

I have had similar happen to me for quite sometime now, those people or people a like have a different frame of mind then to most. It is like they love the attention and the headgames playing with people that way. you will figure who is an alt and who is genuine. Theres just some unfortunate people on sl that do not have anything better to do then try stalk people or cause harm. 

Wish you all the best and keep your chin up, eventually people move on once they see they don't get a reaction and are no longer effecting you. 

20 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

The OP doesn't have stalkers, she's seeing bots. She sent me the names of some of the ones she's seen & they were all on the list of a recent group of bots. They're going all over; I see multiple bots from that group every day on each of the regions I monitor.

I probably need to get out more, but I've never heard of armies of bots on the prowl in Second Life. Do they belong to LL for QA purposes? Or is their existence in some way nefarious?

5 minutes ago, DeirdreDoyle said:

I probably need to get out more, but I've never heard of armies of bots on the prowl in Second Life. Do they belong to LL for QA purposes? Or is their existence in some way nefarious?

Some of the larger land companies have them, but there are also survey bots for basic information gathering.  One of the most helpful "armies" is maintained by Tyche Shepherd, who runs http://gridsurvey.com/ .  Very few of those "armies" of bots are nefarious.

2 hours ago, DeirdreDoyle said:

I've found 19 bots in this batch o' bots. They're fairly easy to spot because they follow a pattern: They arrive in a region around 1000 meters up, move downward at around 52.5 m/s until they land. Their total time on the region is around 40 seconds. Of the 19 I've spotted, two had separate rez dates in late August, another 10 have a rez date of September 3, and 7 have a rez date of September 18. They all have blank profiles. I'm generally seeing between 3 - 7 visits a day on each region from them. I wish this batch all arrived at the same location .... I'd run them through a pachinko machine on the way down.

Some bot groups could be malicious. I've heard there are websites that can tell you where a specific avatar is likely to be. The database would likely be filled by bots going to all regions in SL and collecting the names of the people on the regions. The time per region wouldn't be long at all, so I doubt the bot group I'm playing with is doing that.

I've spotted survey bots before. They generally have something in their profile stating what they do. I don't feed their names to the ejection system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

I've found 19 bots in this batch o' bots. They're fairly easy to spot because they follow a pattern: They arrive in a region around 1000 meters up, move downward at around 52.5 m/s until they land. Their total time on the region is around 40 seconds. Of the 19 I've spotted, two had separate rez dates in late August, another 10 have a rez date of September 3, and 7 have a rez date of September 18. They all have blank profiles. I'm generally seeing between 3 - 7 visits a day on each region from them.

Thank you that explains a lot about all the notices i keep getting from the orb surrounding my work platform.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.