How do you change your display name?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bonjour !

I have noticed that some of the people here have a space in their display names.

How do you change your display name in the forums? I think I’ve asked this question last year, but I forgot. Do I have to somehow get 500 reputation points in order to have the ability to change my display name? I looked at the settings, but I can’t find any option.

4CA84C6D-775B-43C5-9ADF-471FF1EF29EE.thumb.jpeg.5cad2063413d37594b4e38ce803684ca.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

We don't have display names, these are our account names. Those with space - like me - are "entitled lastnamers", so people who joined prior to 2010.

Ah, ok. How come it says you joined 2014, which is after 2010? Your name has a space between “Callum” and “Meriman.” Why did someone else from last year told me that I need to get at least 500 reputation points in the forums? I’m curious about the forum display names.

9 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ah, ok. How come it says you joined 2014, which is after 2010?

This account is June 14, 2007. As that's before 2010 I get a last name.

Your account is 7 July 2017, compare this to your join date. As 2017 is after 2010, you don't get a last name.

Although the lab will soon allow people to buy them.

Edited by Callum Meriman

53 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

This account is June 14, 2007. As that's before 2010 I get a last name.

Your account is 7 July 2017, compare this to your join date. As 2017 is after 2010, you don't get a last name.

Although the lab will soon allow people to buy them.

Oh, ok. How come I see 2014 on your account? What happened to the forums? Was it there back then before 2010? Why does mine say October 28, 2017? What are you looking at to see July 7, 2017?

Your in-world, actual join date is 07/07/2017, October is likely when you started using the forums.  My forum join date says 2009, but my actual join date in world is December 31, 2005.  Yes I was bored on New Year's eve and tried SL for the first time.  The forums were redone sometime before my forum date of 2009.  I was posting since I started, but stopped for a while.

13 minutes ago, Sandy Schnook said:

Your in-world, actual join date is 07/07/2017, October is likely when you started using the forums.  My forum join date says 2009, but my actual join date in world is December 31, 2005.  Yes I was bored on New Year's eve and tried SL for the first time.  The forums were redone sometime before my forum date of 2009.  I was posting since I started, but stopped for a while.

Ah, now I understand. I was confused a while ago.

How come you joined the forums years later instead of 2006? What happened to the forums? When did the make the forums?

9 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

And one thing OP, you don't get to change your "display name" at 500 posts. With all my posts, it's still locked.

What you can change is the text under your name; your's is currently "Resident", that will grow to advanced member, then at 500 unlock fo something freeform.

Ok, now it says I'm an advanced member. And what are the three dots bellow the "Advanced Member" nickname stand for? Do they count for how many days you've been online in a row or something?

4 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

what are the three dots bellow the "Advanced Member" nickname stand for?

User Rank. By default 1 dot = 0 posts to 10 posts, 2 dots = 10 posts to 30 posts, 3 dots = 31+ posts. Not sure about the levels the Lab have set them.

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/member-preferences-and-features/user-ranks-r246/

29 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

User Rank. By default 1 dot = 0 posts to 10 posts, 2 dots = 10 posts to 30 posts, 3 dots = 31+ posts. Not sure about the levels the Lab have set them.

https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/how-to-use-ips-community-suite/member-preferences-and-features/user-ranks-r246/

Mon Dieu ! The pictures I saw are interesting. I didn't know that Second Life created their own community from Invision Power Services. I've never heard of them before. Also, I'm surprised that you can possibly make your own community forums thing. That title editing thing was interesting, indeed.

10 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

We don't have display names, these are our account names. Those with space - like me - are "entitled lastnamers", so people who joined prior to 2010.

some usernames are so awesome a last name would only detract from them

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phorumities said:

People got inventive with first name/last name combinations too.

GiveMe Lastchance
GiveMe Oxygen
GiveMeSome Love

ImAwesome Delicioso
ImNot Nervous
Imnot Snoring
Imnotgoing Sideways

iwillalwaysbe Okey
IWillBe Absent
IWillBe Back
Iwillbehome Soon
IwillBeYour Lastchange
IWILLDIE Tomorrow
IwillHaveMyRevenge Tomorrow
IWillLoveU Tomorrow
Iwillpay Tomorrow

Youare Snoring
Youare Okey
youare Magic
YouAre Chatterbox
YouAreAWasteOf Oxygen

WeAre Offcourse
weare Short

WillYouBeHere Tomorrow
Willyoustillloveme Tomorrow
Willyoustilllovemethe Dayafter

11 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ah, now I understand. I was confused a while ago.

How come you joined the forums years later instead of 2006? What happened to the forums? When did the make the forums?

Some things didn't get carried over from the very first version of the forums..like join dates and post counts and so on..So, many from the original forums show a 2009 join date.

Edited by Ceka Cianci

13 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ah, ok. How come it says you joined 2014, which is after

The SL forums used to be on a different system and the "Join Date" on that system reflected your actual SL "Birthdate". I cannot speak for others, but in my case, I racked up almost 8,000 posts when they moved the forums to this current system and basically incinerated the old forums. Everyone had to start over from zero.

Edit here to add: What @Ceka Cianci says LOL

I was so upset that I boycotted the forums when that happened. It is only now that I have decided to return. That's one reason why my "post count" is so low, even though it shows I joined much longer ago (which I think is when they switched to these new forums, I don't remember).

As for two-name names: we used to choose anything for the first name and pick the last name from a list when creating our account. That option is coming back, and anyone will be able to *change* their name in the same fashion, though it will be a feature only available to Premium subscribers.

Edited by Alyona Su

7 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Wait, how does a last name detract from the username? I think it looks better with the first name and the last name. What do you think are awesome usernames? Have you found any usernames you’ve seen before that you think are awesome?

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

The SL forums used to be on a different system and the "Join Date" on that system reflected your actual SL "Birthdate". I cannot speak for others, but in my case, I racked up almost 8,000 posts when they moved the forums to this current system and basically incinerated the old forums. Everyone had to start over from zero.

Edit here to add: What @Ceka Cianci says LOL

I was so upset that I boycotted the forums when that happened. It is only now that I have decided to return. That's one reason why my "post count" is so low, even though it shows I joined much longer ago (which I think is when they switched to these new forums, I don't remember).

As for two-name names: we used to choose anything for the first name and pick the last name from a list when creating our account. That option is coming back, and anyone will be able to *change* their name in the same fashion, though it will be a feature only available to Premium subscribers.

Ah, ok. When is that option coming back? What about newbies that will join by then? Will they still be able to pick their first name and their last name when they join? Or do they have to become premium subscribers to do that?

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Some things didn't get carried over from the very first version of the forums..like join dates and post counts and so on..So, many from the original forums show a 2009 join date.

How were the old forums like compared to the new forums? What was different between the old forums and the new forums? What about their looks?

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

People got inventive with first name/last name combinations too.

GiveMe Lastchance
GiveMe Oxygen
GiveMeSome Love

ImAwesome Delicioso
ImNot Nervous
Imnot Snoring
Imnotgoing Sideways

iwillalwaysbe Okey
IWillBe Absent
IWillBe Back
Iwillbehome Soon
IwillBeYour Lastchange
IWILLDIE Tomorrow
IwillHaveMyRevenge Tomorrow
IWillLoveU Tomorrow
Iwillpay Tomorrow

Youare Snoring
Youare Okey
youare Magic
YouAre Chatterbox
YouAreAWasteOf Oxygen

WeAre Offcourse
weare Short

WillYouBeHere Tomorrow
Willyoustillloveme Tomorrow
Willyoustilllovemethe Dayafter

Oh boy! All of those names made me start laughing right now! XD

6 minutes ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

How were the old forums like compared to the new forums? What was different between the old forums and the new forums? What about their looks?

They have them archived..

This is a link to the old Resident answers,which is pretty much like here..

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/1.html

2 hours ago, EmpereurNapoleonBonaparte said:

Ah, ok. When is that option coming back? What about newbies that will join by then? Will they still be able to pick their first name and their last name when they join? Or do they have to become premium subscribers to do that?

It's in progress, lots of under-the-hood work they have to do. They are predicting "hopefully" early in 2019 - but sometimes these things just take longer. It will be a premium-only option and it will cost RL money (we don't know how much, yet, I am guessing between $5 and $10) - for a new account they must subscribe to premium during account creation. Whether they will pay extra for the last name option or free during initial account creation is unknown right now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.