Why buy a private region?

Cali Roffo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If it's a private estate and not mainland, the advantages are :

• being able to bake the land so you can revert the terrain (Most rental places will help you with this if you ask)
  • uploading and downloading terrain (This can be dangerous unless the region is empty)
  • paying from a credit card/paypal instead of Lindens (For some people this is the only advantage)
  • Slightly cheaper (not much, and that saving is eaten by the setup charge for a while)

You have to start by purchasing a full region, you can't start with a homestead. The cost of this is US$349 which includes the first month's tier. After that it's US$249 every month on the anniversary.

US$249 works out to L$14,937 a week. A full rental region is advertised on the forums from that large rental resident whose surname starts with C for L$15,299 a week.

So you will save... L$360 a week owning your own. So, it's about 2 years to break even based on the setup fee.

• Thanks 2

You can sometimes buy from another resident, which will cost you whatever they're asking (though you can often haggle) plus a transfer fee, which for a standard full region is $100.  There are regions that only cost $195 per month (or $234 if you pay VAT) because they were bought at a time when that rate was originally offered, or the owners took advantage of a one-time offer from LL.  You'll see those referred to as 'grandfathered', and the transfer fee to keep that pricing is $600.  You will eventually start gaining the benefit, though I'll have to leave it to the more mathematically talented to work it out.  If that interests you, join the group 'For Sale By Owner' and look at the forum 'Regions for Sale: Full Private Island'.

• Thanks 1

Mainland pros

- lower cost

- flexible size. (You don't need to get a full sim and rush to fill it)

- public accessible

- tiers can be subsidized by your subbed alts

Cons

- neighbours may be good or bad, of which you may have little control of.

- no backups - if you delete your town then you have to rebuild

- rating is locked and conversion from moderate to adult is super rare

- terrain has max height and max low limit

- hosts less people than private estate.

Private island 

Pros

- terrain is yours to control

- you can apply special conditions to land owners in your region

- protected and will not have annoying neighbours 

- you may request for reversal if the sim -gets obliterated by accident 

- any ratings you want from G to Adult 

- custom wind light (made almost redundant by firestorm)

- hosts more people 

Cons

- higher monthly cost

- has a few hundred to pay for setup

- cannot subsidize tier with premium alts

- not public accessible by walk ins unless you apply for community scheme which requires minimum of 8 Sims.

- literally anything cost you money from moving it to converting its type

I own 100000sqm in mainland, you can pay by credit card or USD balance just the same way you do for private islands. 

IMO private island should be for experienced land owners only. If you jump right in without knowing land management you will likely be on the backburner bleeding cash with a 80% empty sim. With land ownership come resident disputes, occasional unwelcomed guests, people that hate your sim for its theme and so on, if you are not familiar with land control you will obliterate your own sim at least a few times over, and if you have tenants, they definitely won't be a fan of seeing their shops vanish because of administrative oversights. 

The extra people it can host, let's just say unless you are one of those shopping hot spots, you will never reach even 50% of the mainland capacity 

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

not public accessible by walk ins unless you apply for community scheme which requires minimum of 8 Sims.

Explain please. I've never heard of a community scheme. I assume by 'walk ins' you mean something other than publicly accessible via teleport (or across the region border from adjacent private regions).

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Explain please. I've never heard of a community scheme. I assume by 'walk ins' you mean something other than publicly accessible via teleport (or across the region border from adjacent private regions).

It's how people attach estates like the blake sea-ish USS regions to mainland.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Land_Partnership_Program

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

It's how people attach estates like the blake sea-ish USS regions to mainland.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Land_Partnership_Program

Thanks! I'm fine with my land not being connected to mainland, so I disagree with @iamyourneighbour that it's a con for private regions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2018 at 3:30 PM, iamyourneighbour said:

I own 100000sqm in mainland, you can pay by credit card or USD balance just the same way you do for private islands. 

I figured you would own more than that. I mean I haven't seen many of your places but I expected you to have ~5sims worth of land.

7 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Thanks! I'm fine with my land not being connected to mainland, so I disagree with @iamyourneighbour that it's a con for private regions.

It's a pro if you want to make a sailing community. Getting attached to Blake Sea gives you access to a large amount of water to sail through. Personally I don't think it's worth it but I don't sail much anyway.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Id have to say the #1 benefit is performance, because there are no neighbors, absolutely everything is faster and usually better looking too.  I spent the last couple weeks looking to get more mainland, and couldn't find anything that both,  didnt have garrish neighbors, and the property qualities I was looking for.  So I just bought a full private SIM instead and will be selling my mainland parcels since i've outgrown them.

You can buy a private region from another user too, which is faster than a new sim setup I believe.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Id have to say the #1 benefit is performance, because there are no neighbors, absolutely everything is faster and usually better looking too.  I spent the last couple weeks looking to get more mainland, and couldn't find anything that both,  didnt have garrish neighbors, and the property qualities I was looking for.  So I just bought a full private SIM instead and will be selling my mainland parcels since i've outgrown them.

You can buy a private region from another user too, which is faster than a new sim setup I believe.

I had my new region within 15 minutes of placing my order w/ LL. It was fast enough for me.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Normally less than 2 minutes. Most of the delay is waiting for the email to come through GMail.

They could tweak the text in the documentation, and point of sales bulltpoints etc.   Its really not apparent at all you will get your land instantly, and I actually read the whole doc-set which most will not do, I cant imagine how many sales they've lost or delayed because of that?  It needs to be more apparent you will jump right in and have your land as soon as payment clears.  I even googled and read the forums on the subject and came up with nothing.  Having never bought a full SIM from Lindens before I had no previous context to go on, so I bought a SIM from another player, which ended up a little bit cheaper too.

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, animats said:

If you want multiple regions, you have to fit them together yourself.

as far i know the regions will fit together automaticly ( programmed in the code) there will be no gaps when you terraform one, the other will fit seamless to it, just have to be sure to use the same textures for that height.

3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

as far i know the regions will fit together automaticly ( programmed in the code) there will be no gaps when you terraform one, the other will fit seamless to it, just have to be sure to use the same textures for that height.

If you pick random shapes for the private regions, the land may not touch between them..

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.