Debit Cards

Armani223

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Why do Linden Lab not accept Debit Cards?  and would they consider doing this?  i only have a joint Credit Card with my RL partner and therefore don't want him to know about my SL Linden purchases.

Also i'm from New Zealand, and would i be able to use a Debit Card from here?

8 answers to this question

Rather than repeat the many lengthy threads where this question has been asked, I suggest that you spend some time searching through them yourself.  The bottom line is that Linden Lab only accepts a very few debit cards of specific types, and are not likely to change.  Why? Debit cards do not generally allow instantaneous two-way transactions and they very often do not offer very good ways (if any) to verify the identities of people who use them.  This is a resident-to-resident site, so we are in no position to debate Linden Lab's policies (or sometimes even to explain them). I should point out, however, that in many ways a PayPal account is a better option than a card of any kind, and PayPal will accept transfers from debit cards.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Armani223 said:

Why do Linden Lab not accept Debit Cards?  and would they consider doing this?  i only have a joint Credit Card with my RL partner and therefore don't want him to know about my SL Linden purchases.

Also i'm from New Zealand, and would i be able to use a Debit Card from here?

I am an Australian who uses a debit card for my L$ purchases, but it's a debit card with a visa number and logo.

If yours doesn't work, you may be able to use a verified paypal account, or skrill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armani223 said:

Sour old cow comes to mind from your answer!

That is uncalled for.  As you can see from the amount of posts Rolig has helped answer, this question has come up many times and reading previous posts using search for debit card would show you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armani223 said:

you know, we have quite good memories... this will backfire to you faster than you perhaps think.

the saying"you can lead a donkey to the water, but not force it to drink "suits perfect on this situation.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 11:55 PM, Armani223 said:

Thanks Callum Meriman for your help :) I will look into it some more.

Rolig Loon not so much! lol 

Also I suspect Linden Lab make more $$ from credit card transactions.

Oooow... ripping on our friends. ¬¬ You likely have and never will have any idea of how much damage you've done to yourself. xD Alwin was hinting.

There will be a day you want help. While Rolig will likely help you, a number of the rest of will remain silent and let you stew. :P

Rolig gave you the information a new (1 post) person would need to start grasping the nature of the Lab and how they do business. We know Rolig, but your response tells us much about you. Your level of intelligence, nature, and attitude toward one helping you. Look into the psychology term 'projection' and its counterpart in new age religion 'mirroring'. Both describe the same a human behavior. ;)

Credit cards are used to purchase L$, Linden dollars. Thinking the card transaction fee is where the money is at is foolish. Buying US$100 of L$ gives the Lab US$100 and what a $3 fee? The cost of L$ to the Lab is debatable. But, the cost is all in the effort to make a computerized set of accounting entries. They don't even have to print or ment the currency. It's just a computer entry. How funny that you think the money is in the card fee... o.O

• Like 2

On 7/11/2018 at 12:55 AM, Armani223 said:

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Thinking the card transaction fee is where the money is at is foolish. Buying US$100 of L$ gives the Lab US$100 and what a $3 fee? The cost of L$ to the Lab is debatable. But, the cost is all in the effort to make a computerized set of accounting entries. They don't even have to print or ment the currency. It's just a computer entry. How funny that you think the money is in the card fee... o.O

And then, for credit cards, add in the 1-2% fee that they have to pay Visa / Mastercard for every transaction.  For a US $100 purchase, even though they are taking a $3 'fee', they are giving $1-2 of that to the credit card company.  Thus LL doesn't even actually get the full $3 on credit card transactions.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Thanks Callum Meriman for your help :) I will look into it some more.

Rolig Loon not so much! lol 

Edited by Armani223
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.