Problem with baking AO texture

MIVIMEX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

HELLO! I'm trying to create an exploding barrel and now I made such a mesh. But I have a problem with baking AO shadows texture. On the sides of the barrel where the ribs are visible strips. This is despite the fact that the cylinder 24 VERTS, the SMOOTH is switched on. I can of course make a blur in the photo editor, but how can I make the blur in the settings of baking? Is this possible? Please advise.

Thank you so much!

Безымянный.png

BARREL AO 1.png

4 answers to this question

On 9/6/2018 at 11:56 PM, MIVIMEX said:

HELLO! I'm trying to create an exploding barrel and now I made such a mesh. But I have a problem with baking AO shadows texture. On the sides of the barrel where the ribs are visible strips. This is despite the fact that the cylinder 24 VERTS, the SMOOTH is switched on. I can of course make a blur in the photo editor, but how can I make the blur in the settings of baking? Is this possible? Please advise.

Thank you so much!

Безымянный.png

Change the number of samples from the default 5 to something more robust like a 16 or 32. It will take longer to bake but the result is gonna be cleaner.

EDIT: this will make the graininess less obvious, btw. To get rid of those ribs you should do a High to Low poly bake, where the High poly will be the same model with subsurf modifier applied (and more geometry to hold the shape), or you could simply chose to perform the bake on the high poly version altogether.

Edited by OptimoMaximo
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure how to fix the seams...but an exploding oil drum doesn't break into nice regular rectangular pieces.  I'd slice it up into several large, jagged hunks, but keep the top and bottom intact.  Maybe use two barrels, like you use two weapons for a gun.  One barrel is one piece, intact.  The other one is sliced up, maybe dented and bent, but invisible.  When the barrel explodes, the intact one becomes invisible and the sliced-up one becomes visible and the pieces fly apart.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.