New way of harasing

Mkrofdrms Grizot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everyone,

I have seen an individual  getting attached to other Avis and follow like a mirror , how can this be possible and how can we prevent it? This form of harassment is totally unacceptable. I think must a HUD of some kind....Please help or find a way to solve this. M

16 answers to this question

43 minutes ago, Mkrofdrms Grizot said:

Hello everyone,

I have seen an individual  getting attached to other Avis and follow like a mirror , how can this be possible and how can we prevent it? This form of harassment is totally unacceptable. I think must a HUD of some kind....Please help or find a way to solve this. M

First off, we are just Residents like you - not LL.  Thus we can only offer suggestions, but not actually "do" anything.

Have your friend detach all objects and then not attach anything that was given to him/her by anyone they do not fully trust.  If they happened to have given animate permission to an object, then that object could cause issues on that same sim, but not elsewhere - and there is not a solution for that particular issue.

Can you give more specifics about the following?  On any sim, only on one sim, etc..?

Finally, if you know who the person is, then you and your friend both should block them. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

If I wanted to do something like that, I would simply create an object,  script it as a follower, and sit on it. It would be quite easy -- no attachments or HUDs needed. It would be useful if I were making a device to help me follow a friend as we fly or walk around a region, or if I were making a tour guide system. I suppose it could also be annoying if I decided to follow a stranger, but of course the other person could easily "escape" by teleporting away.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mkrofdrms Grizot said:

Hello everyone,

It's done with something like this : https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SmexyL-Follow-Grab-Hug-HUD-2/4599320 Although there are so many around, I like and use that one a lot.

If someone is doing it to you and it's bothering you, you can submit an AR, although the Lab might decide it's too small a thing to care about.  You may also find it better to just derender that person, then they simple dissapear from the screen. To derender right click on their name and choose it from the menu.

Mkrofdrms Grizot,

It's nothing new.  This device is a "follower".  The user targets someone, and then sits on the invisible follower prim (which is a variant of a poseball).  The follower prim can follow a targeted avatar anywhere in a region, and some of them can animate the user sitting on them.  The user can be animated to appear to be riding on, hugging, or fornicating with the victim.

The easiest defense is to teleport to another region.  A defense system with a shield might also work to repel the attacker, at least out to the radius of the shield.

13 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

It's done with something like this : https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SmexyL-Follow-Grab-Hug-HUD-2/4599320 Although there are so many around, I like and use that one a lot.

I've obviously led a sheltered SLife as I've never seen/encountered anything like that before.  Will a block of the person prevent it or will it simply prevent me from seeing it?

Isn't there two levels of 'block'?  There's one that's MUTE and the full "BLOCK". (?)

Being a guy... I don't generally have a problem and my block list is small.. only a few of the griefer types blocked out.

The.. de-rez option, I know... only works for yourself and not others that come to property... (pretty sure anyhow).

Edited by AviNews

No, "Block" and "Mute" are simply two different words for the same thing.  The viewer started off using the term "Mute", but switched to "Block" a few years back.  I guess LL felt it was a more understandable term.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

21 minutes ago, AviNews said:

Isn't there two levels of 'block'?  There's one that's MUTE and the full "BLOCK". (?)

18 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, "Block" and "Mute" are simply two different words for the same thing.  The viewer started off using the term "Mute", but switched to "Block" a few years back.

To complicate things, with the Firestorm viewer (and possibly others), you also have 'derender' which will remove the grey blob so that you don't even see it.

31 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

others, of course, would still see the full effect of the gag.

Figures.  A block in LL should really be similar to some other systems -- the person you block should have no visibility to you at all and should not be able to interact with you in any way.

• Like 1

Thanks All.. specially LIndall Kid , so that is what is going on,  only thing I did was report the individual that was harassing at the SIM, which isn't the first time this person returns with a different name, so its and uphill battle, report and ban from the SIM, I have tried talking with the person and understand why, her/his answer  hates women, pretty sad. Thanks for your help. MK

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

To complicate things, with the Firestorm viewer (and possibly others), you also have 'derender' which will remove the grey blob so that you don't even see it.

Yes, this is the option to use. They dissapear from the screen completely, no grey blob.

OP, The best form of griefer defense is never to react, not even a single word. I've always found derendering is a great tool to help you achieve that. Because you can't see them, your movements will be without any pause or hesitation. They will be certainly get bored and go for someone else soon enough. And if not, well, you can't see them, so the griefing doesn't exist!

If other people still see them riding you, meh. The aim is still for you not to react.

• Like 1

yeah I think just yanking all rights to all accounts and the url from making more accounts on SL is the resolution not igonoring 

they get their way and there should be punishment

FINES ARE THE BEST WAY TO STOP IT NOT IGNORE AND ALLOW OR CONDONE

• Confused 1

if i get that prob, i usually mute and block, a troll will try to grief, u no matter what u do  but because they are blocked usually they go away when they cannot use there idiotic ways to make you respond the worse thing u can do if someone is trolling u is to respond or argue with them because they feed off it, last resort hit the report button  i hate to do that but sometimes it has to be done all the best good luck oh by the way never contct them again because it automatically unblocks them

Edited by binder59
forgot a line to put in

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.