How do premium members use tier to buy land?

SodaGnome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm totally confused. Says if have 1024 (which ii get as premium member) I can use this to buy land. 

1. Go to Your Account.
  2. On the left side of the page, click Account Summary.
  3. Find the section called Land Holdings
  4. Available square meters for purchase at your current tier is listed under Available for purchase.

Does this mean I have to pay more money to get this land? Or I just pick one as a premium member? How much do these cost if anything?

The 1024 is a tier-waver.

This means, if you only hold a maximum of 1024 of land, you don't pay any extra monthly fees for it (more will add costs on top of what you pay for premium). However, you first need to find a free piece of Mainland that you can obtain and since there is a whole economy surrounding real estate in SL, there will probably be an initial purchase price for the parcel, especially if its sold by someone else, instead of being just an abonded parcel. Costs will be higher, if the land is in an desireable location (unblockable view, close to sail-able water or another special location).

15 minutes ago, SodaGnome said:

Does this mean I have to pay more money to get this land?

You have to pay a fee in L$ to buy mainland you can use the world map to find areas of land that are for sale (yellow) or set for auction (purple), and it'll show the price the seller is asking land in desirable areas or with an up to 100% prim bonus will cost a lot more than an average standard prim lot

OK reading the answers for far -- "I" am even confused so let's get simple.

There IS NO FREE LAND --- only FREE TIER. 

You DO need to buy land to USE the FREE TIER and you get 1024 per month free.

Your FREE TIER is only good on MAINLAND. 

When you buy land it will tell you how much tier you would need to pay -- should you buy more than a 1024 lot.

You can also opt to use part of your free tier on a Linden Home. These are reportedly being updated this year but when this year commoners do not know. 

You can find the CHEAP land by searching in MAINLAND, sorting for size and then looking through the cost per meter. 

IF you use your land up in the air, it really doesn't matter much where it is. 

"Better" land (near water, roads, linden preserve etc) will cost more.

image.thumb.png.02208d459768aa838dcd9cd64d53a13d.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

You can also opt to use part of your free tier on a Linden Home. These are reportedly being updated this year but when this year commoners do not know. 

Just an addition the part of Chic's post that I quoted. If you opt for a Linden Home, you do not have to buy it. You simply claim it. At the moment Linden Homes are 512s, and not 1024s. The update later this year that Chic refered to may turn them into 1024s or it may not. Linden Homes are not just land. They all come with a house already rezzed, but not furnished.

I had to translate it from Linden-ese to Kat-a-nese for it to make sense to me.  so I'ma writing this all out for everyone not just Soda, and I love your Videos btw.   

Mainland land

- to get Mainland you have to be Premium 

- included in your Premium Package is first 1024m2 of Mainland Tier

Tier is the Monthly fee to rent mainland from Linden lab

-  Is based on the Maximum amount of land held in a Month, even if just for a moment. and expressed in Meters Square

-  Further bumps in Tier are listed on this website  https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

-  Remember the first 1024m2 is already included in Premium -- so no worries if paying quarterly or yearly

the land DOES NOT have to be a contiguous piece of land, so you can Mix and match: use 512m2 on a Linden home and the other 512m2 on another place,   
     or 1024m2 on one parcel, or buy two 512m2 parcels, or stuff 

But ... you have to Buy land and/or get a Linden home to use the Tier

Selecting Land / Buying Land

Buying Land is  Buying a 'Lease Option' to Rent land using Tier

1) Buying Normal ol' Mainland

- you get to pick your spot

- use search or mainmap to spot land that is for sale or plots of land are auctioned off by LL https://usd.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/list/

- pay for for the 'Lease Option' using L$,  buy clicking the Buy Land thingie in the Viewer 

- Pay attention to the rules of the Region Rating:  Moderate, General, or Fun.. um... adult

2) Getting a Linden Home   https://secondlife.com/land/lindenhomes/

- you can't pick the spot, but you can pick the type of house

- you dont have to pay a L$ fee on the Lease Option, you only pay the 512m2 Tier (already in the Premium Plan)

- if you have 512m2 unused tier - try it!  it is FREE! (call it practice on using the about land controls)

I am not sure it is mainland?

(Topmenu) World / Region Details/ Estate Tab  

Estate: mainland

Which Mainland do I want?  

I dunno... you buying the land / paying the lease option

What is Protected Access?

- Land is adjacant to Linden Used Land so others not be building on it

- Costs more to Buy

What is Double Prim / Prim Bonus land?  

- a region allows 22,500 LI   (building blocks to be used)

- when the land was first parceled up by the Lindens, the allocation of LI per parcel was shuffled around

- use less prims for part of the region - this part was kept as water or roads or a park or something

- the For Sale Parcels were allocated more LI, Like double the amount.   

- Costs a lot to buy

Hopes that Helps.   Do we get a Video of the Buying land Adventure?

Edited by KathrynLisbeth
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Just an addition the part of Chic's post that I quoted. If you opt for a Linden Home, you do not have to buy it. You simply claim it. At the moment Linden Homes are 512s, and not 1024s. The update later this year that Chic refered to may turn them into 1024s or it may not. Linden Homes are not just land. They all come with a house already rezzed, but not furnished.

Absolutely correct and according to some folks posting here when the new tier increase happened, IF you want to use a Linden home for part of your free tier, you need to claim it FIRST (note this may have been fixed by now so if someone knows, chime in). 

Personally I am betting the new house upgrade will include the bigger lots -- it only make sense LOL. Then again .... :SwingingFriends:

• Like 1

Well for me a 512m2 for a Linden Home, new or not is good.   Since it still gives one a reason to try mainland living too.    Besides now i can finally kick my alt out and she can live elsewhere.   Always leaving a mess that one.  Prims all over,  keeps switching scripts to not running.   *sighs*

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

Hopes that Helps.   Do we get a Video of the Buying land Adventure?

yes that will be video #42

I'm a little confused still.... just trying to see the difference between doing it without being premium and with being premium.

So premium means I get mainland, and a 1024 lot. I'm not really interested in the 512 one because too many restrictions on it so I'd let go of the free house for the 1024 lot. And if I am premium, no tier costs on the 1024 lot. Ok so next I have to buy (lease) a 1024 lot on the mainland. 

So say I find one for sale for $500...then there is rent as well usually? Always rent? Rent based on prims like it is off mainland?

I found one that I could get not being premium and not on mainland for example, it's 1152 in size, 632 prims and 490 a month in rent. Is that about the same as what the prices are on mainland?

Oh I went here to look : https://usd.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/list/

and it does not tell you how many prims you get .... where can you see that?

Edited by SodaGnome

I found one on that auction page...1024 lot for $500 Lindens - I went there and used the land tab to see how many prims were available... it said 351.....

I don't see anything about rent/lease though..... so the 500 to buy it would be my only cost? Well and the premium membership?

https://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/36223/

I also don't see any information on if it can be used for a store or just a house. 

Edited by SodaGnome

9 minutes ago, SodaGnome said:

I found one on that auction page...1024 lot for $500 Lindens - I went there and used the land tab to see how many prims were available... it said 351.....

I don't see anything about rent/lease though..... so the 500 to buy it would be my only cost? Well and the premium membership?

https://ld.auctions.secondlife.com/lin/auction/auction/view/id/36223/

I also don't see any information on if it can be used for a store or just a house. 

If it is mainland, then you can use if for a store or a house or whatever you want -- there are no rules except to follow the land rating (general,moderal,adult).

Yes, 1024 sqm of land will give you 351 prims to play with.

There is no rent/lease.  Some equate the tier payments to LL as rent, but I always thought of it more like monthly property tax.  In any case, you BUY the land (either via auction or just searching inworld) and from then out, it is just monthly TIER.  As long as the amount of land you own is 1024 or less, the TIER is covered by your Premium membership.

And anything not on mainland is definitely not covered by any part of your Premium membership.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You buy a parcel on mainland and if it is not larger than 1024m² and you are premium member there is no tier, that is no further cost.

I had 512 m² Linden Home, and I left it after finding a  beautiful 1024m² roadside parcel in Northwestern Sansara with well build surroundings and no mad structures for 2,650.00 L$, which is cheap for a nice mainland parcel. Prices varies from ridiculous 100,000 L$ for 512m² down to, what I paid, some even cheaper. Parcels at waterfront and roadside are normally more expensive.

Best way to find a parcel IMHO is to fly along roads, waterways and examine the maps and TP to the areas of interest and take a look, if it fits your wishes and needs,

For a list of mainland continents see: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/List_Of_Continents

YAY!  Un-Confused!

Just a Recap - maybe clarifying my earlier wall 'o' text for others

9 hours ago, SodaGnome said:

I'm a little confused still.... just trying to see the difference between doing it without being premium and with being premium.

There is NO buying mainland without Premium.    

-- you can rent mainland from other users, but you paying them and paying in L$ and not using tier

I found one that I could get not being premium and not on mainland for example

The difference between being Premium and using Tier for Mainland Ownership (or Linden Home)  v/s Islands 

this is more a case of :

Mainland Tier & Premium - directly getting land from LL,  uses Real World Money already paid as part of Premium Membership

Island Estates -  Subleasing / renting Land from a intermediary Land Owner,  they have systems in place to pay using L$. 

It can even be a whole island but you are paying someone who is paying LL so the pricing is up to them

*** One can lease each month a private estate, a whole island or more direct from LL  https://secondlife.com/land/privatepricing.php?lang=en-US

- But that's a lotta Money and a Whole different type of Land Product

and it does not tell you how many prims you get .... where can you see that?

Prims per Parcel  from https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

the middle 2 columns on the table & based on standard subdividing of a region (double prim / prim bonus land can differ)

to confirm the amount of LI:  when on a parcel,  (top menu) World/ Parcel Details / Objects - Parcel land capacity

Covenants and Restrictions: when on a parcel,  (top menu) World/ Parcel Details / Covenant

Mainland - follow region rating

Linden home, etc. - there are some more rules and stuff

Edited by KathrynLisbeth

Looking at it Like Rent/Lease v/s Buying and Paying Property tax

However one wants to describe it.. okay.  Just going by when I was a noob at deciphering the getting land in SL stuff.. I translated it to this in my head.

Tier is the Monthly fee to rent Server Space on the Mainland type Land product from Linden Lab, using a Credit card.  Where Server space is expressed in units of square meters.

and...  Premium Membership comes bundled with (Currently)  1024m2 of Tier

Buying Land is Buying a 'Lease Option', using L$.  In order to Rent said Server Space using Tier

with .... 

Renting Land is Subleasing (subrenting) Server Space from an Intermediary between the end user and LL,  using L$  & the payment period can vary on case by case basis, and can be an option on mainland or island estate types of land product

I just define it like this for clarity in the case of someone that is totally new or has actually never been in SL, I figure if they might have heard of renting server space.  It also allows me to see Buying land & land flipping, etc. in a slightly more abstract way kinda analogous to commodities trading.

While not negating the validity of expressing Land use in SL as an analogy of Buying and Paying Property tax, that may cause confusion with someone that is less familiar with SL.  Given that in a Real Life context one can petition to have Property tax lowered if the neighbors have messed up the neighborhood.  

But hey... analogies

As long as people pay LL.. we get SL

Edited by KathrynLisbeth
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 2:34 PM, Chic Aeon said:

Absolutely correct and according to some folks posting here when the new tier increase happened, IF you want to use a Linden home for part of your free tier, you need to claim it FIRST (note this may have been fixed by now so if someone knows, chime in). 

Personally I am betting the new house upgrade will include the bigger lots -- it only make sense LOL. Then again .... :SwingingFriends:

I do hope so.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2221 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.