Is there a name for this or is it just some random thing?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've noticed recently that a lot of female avatars have.. what can best be described as a "cone shaped" torso.

Mostly in addition to mouths that are turned down at the sides.

Is there a name for this?

Yeah, I know, not entirely describing it that well.

Haven't posted in a forum for a while, tempted to play around with the text colours and stuff.

Wooo

.. Yeah, I'll stop that now.

Please describe in more detail,

Lyssa Starsmith wrote:

I've noticed recently that a lot of female avatars have.. what can best be described as a "cone shaped" torso.

Mostly in addition to mouths that are turned down at the sides.

If you add more detail to that, I may be able to help.

Have a good day,

~K

Hmm, usually the cone shaped torso is called a man.  And the mouth shape is called a frown :)

Actually, I am not sure what you are describing about the torso thing. 

The corners of the mouth are one of those tricky places in the avatar mesh that can be distorted easily.  It is also right next to the corners of the nose and it can get that hard angled ridge running between them and that can be all but impossible to eliminate.  I think you are seeing shapes trying to smooth out that problem area at the expense of a happy smile.

I know whta you mean by the frown fad it looks like people that have done that with thair shapes have a perminant emo look. Personaly I pull the corners up a bit on the mouth of shapes I get as I like that slight hint at an evil grin. The cone shape yes I understand that one as well its just a shape fad like the frown and the giant backside ones.

Ah, now I know what you are saying.  I would call it "skinny" but that's not quite right.  I don't know if it has a name so you can name it if you want :)

I like a shape with little more meat.

original.jpg

However I learned long ago not to  belittle other people's choices for their avatar.  We all build what is attractive to us and portrays how we want to be seen.

Now to really show my age ... does any one remember back in the 60's there were these popular posters of young girls dancing.  They all had large heads, thin bodies and deep pouts.  Maybe the style is coming back around.

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Now to really show my age ... does any one remember back in the 60's there were these popular posters of young girls dancing.  They all had large heads, thin bodies and deep pouts.  Maybe the style is coming back around.

searched google for a reference.. 

nothing came up that looked close, can you find a picture? I would love to see an example..

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Ya mean like... Twiggy?

twiggy.jpg

Haha I know exactly what you are talking about!!!!!

It's actually a secondlife style fad that's become very popular lately. With the large pouty frowning lips and the bodies with the very boyish curves though with the large hips/rear.Something like this

much like this, from the marketplace... if I understand correctly:

Its just a fashion fad thats branched off the 'elf' look that's been around for quite a while.

Evangeline Twist wrote:

Where I am from it's often called " that chick needs to eat a sammich!"  lol
:)

HAHA! I heart you.

It's often what I tell visitors who want advice on wearing vintage clothing. Anything pre-Twiggy, you need to have a healthy body that indicates you eat something. I'm thankful every day that, in real life, I got a "womanly figure" of the 30's. It means I can wear the vintage clothing I love, and fit it properly.

Even when I've had long-term RL illnesses, and have lost a lot of weight, I still have "birthing hips." I think it's healthy.

I see a lot of boyish or otherwise SUPER thin avatars, and the ones that ask me what they can do to their shape to more realistically wear the clothing, I tell them, "eat a sammich!"

I think it's just trending. We see Amazonian women in some communities, boyish women in others. Jo and I have always encouraged more realistic shapes in 1920's Berlin. I see a MUCH higher percentage of residents and users willing to actually have a rear, and hips, and a realistic chest, in our community. I'm thankful for that. Some people start off with us in the Twiggy shapes, but after spending just a few days there, they feel comfortable adding some "padding." They see that many people are walking around wearing more human shapes, and don't feel self-conscious about it anymore.

SL, like any other place, goes through 'fads'.  What you are seeing is a fad in action.  There are many skin makers who have put out 'pouty' lipped skins in the last year and the shape is yet another fad.  Do not worry about it, there will be another fad in a few months.  Just 'be' your avatar the way you see fit and let the rest of SL take care of itself.

Geh!

These are reminding me of these iron-on patterns I remember floating around the house when I was a kid. Ironed 'em on shirts, painted them with tri-chem (which, at the time, was still in its VERY toxic form). Often a cross between Holly Hobbie and the big-eyed children.

The big eyes were utterly creepy.

*shudder*

'Scuse me, while I find a therapist.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.