Inventory Organizing Help

Kassina Wylie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

16 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Kassina Wylie said:

Greetings! I've been in Second life for over 10yrs and I have acquired a lot of inventory. Is there a way to search/sort your inventory by the year is was acquired instead of figuring out how many days ago you purchased something in the filters?

Thanks,

Kassi

In a round about way, you can via the Catznip viewer -- available on the third party viewer download site:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

With their new inventory filters, you can select all inventory that you received between 2 sets of hours or days.  You can customize it further, if desired.  So to find things acquired last year, specify the below - you could also change the sorting to actually sort by 'most recent' rather than by name.

image.png.dc93cc47c0b7d5fe7fa6a448cb834caa.png   image.png.2fcd81c600624cfef14b46740d56c5e5.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ran into this problem when I realized lots of my old things I seldom were because the look old and clunky. Then when I got a mesh body it got worse. There is a lot of stuff I'll never wear or use again. So, I do need to see the old stuff and decide whether to trash or file it..

For the future I decided to make easier on myself. Have folders for dress, pants, jewelry, shoes, and so on. Now the the shoes I buy in 2018 get put in Shoes->!2018->(the shoes' folder). I'm doing this for everything to some degree.

I am slowly going through the folders without dates and eliminating stuff. I tend now to separate into Classic and Mesh. For classic stuff I want to keep, I put it in the Classic folder. So, Dresses->!Classic->(dress folder name). If it is not in year folder, !2014 to !2018 or the !Classic folder I know I haven't looked at it recently and it is a candidate for the trash. But, there is still some pretty neat classic outfits and stuff. So, I weed through it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I ran into this problem when I realized lots of my old things I seldom were because the look old and clunky. Then when I got a mesh body it got worse. There is a lot of stuff I'll never wear or use again. So, I do need to see the old stuff and decide whether to trash or file it..

For the future I decided to make easier on myself. Have folders for dress, pants, jewelry, shoes, and so on. Now the the shoes I buy in 2018 get put in Shoes->!2018->(the shoes' folder). I'm doing this for everything to some degree.

I am slowly going through the folders without dates and eliminating stuff. I tend now to separate into Classic and Mesh. For classic stuff I want to keep, I put it in the Classic folder. So, Dresses->!Classic->(dress folder name). If it is not in year folder, !2014 to !2018 or the !Classic folder I know I haven't looked at it recently and it is a candidate for the trash. But, there is still some pretty neat classic outfits and stuff. So, I weed through it.

Stop eliminating!  LL says they're going to add the ability to use old layer-style clothing (and skins and tattoos) with Mesh bodies!

11 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Stop eliminating!  LL says they're going to add the ability to use old layer-style clothing (and skins and tattoos) with Mesh bodies!

You may be right. Old system clothes might be usable on mesh bodies. However, I think you have misunderstood.

System-type shirts are NOT going to be usable on mesh shirts. The reason is mesh shirts will not have the same or similar UVMaps. The same with pants and skirts/dresses.

I know from making appliers for Slink bodies that Slink's UVMap for applier-clothes is very similar to the SL classic. I haven't tried Maitreya or Belleza. So, there is a reasonable possibility that tats and lingerie from classic days could be usable on mesh bodies. Also, if you'll tolerate the applier clothes look, which in some cases is ok, they MAY be usable. But, I doubt it.

The System Clothes are built to place the texture on the classic body. Many of those are no-mod. But, something will have to change to tell the system to place the texture on a Slink, Maitreya, Belleza, or other brand of attachment. The target has to change. With system clothes the texture target is built in. Even if the system clothes are usable on mesh attachments, they will have to point to the right attachment, I suspect that pointing will have to be baked in at the time of creation.

There is also an ownership/rights issue. The Lab is careful about not making no-mod things useable in new ways beyond what the creator likely intended. So, I suspect the Lab will not provide a way to extend the use of system clothes.

I doubt we will be able to modify old no-mod stuff to work with mesh attachments. And if we can modify older mod-ok stuff, I have doubts about how good it will look on newer improved bodies.

Also, AFAIK Slink has a special UVMap for skin makers. The other layers use a UVMap similar to the classic avatar. If the onion-layers are no longer needed and Siddean uses only one mesh model, which UVMap is going to be used? The whole point of mesh bodies is the improved mesh and UVMap. So, the classic clothes are unlikely to use the same UVMap.

But...but they SAID!

1. Bakes on Mesh - Extends the Viewer and the Avatar Baking Service to allow wearable textures (such as skins, clothing and tattoos) to be applied directly onto mesh body parts as they are on system avatars. To do this, you'll 'wear' the textures as you would for the system avatar, and then edit the mesh body part to indicate the body part that should be used on each of the mesh faces; the corresponding system body part is then automatically hidden for you. This project also increases the supported resolution of wearable textures by 4 times (from 512 pixels square to 1024 pixels square).

21 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

But...but they SAID!

1. Bakes on Mesh - Extends the Viewer and the Avatar Baking Service to allow wearable textures (such as skins, clothing and tattoos) to be applied directly onto mesh body parts as they are on system avatars. To do this, you'll 'wear' the textures as you would for the system avatar, and then edit the mesh body part to indicate the body part that should be used on each of the mesh faces; the corresponding system body part is then automatically hidden for you. This project also increases the supported resolution of wearable textures by 4 times (from 512 pixels square to 1024 pixels square).

Yeah... Coming soonish...

An AMAZING techno-kludge that allows you to replace those good quality 2016-2018 skins and appliers with 2006-2007 Paint-with-your-thumbs stuff even World-O-Crap-Discount-Freebie-Warehouse refuses to stock any more...

Woo Hoo!

• Haha 1

Oh bakes on mesh can also sniff out and copy classic layers? I thought it was just bakes in mesh

@kassi I think Firestorm can do so. Sort by date, filter between two dates ...

EDIT: No it can't I stand corrected, see LittleMe Jewell's post below

Edited by Fionalein

11 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

@kassi I think Firestorm can do so. Sort by date, filter between two dates ...

Firestorm can sort by date (Most Recent) and it can do 'newer than' OR 'older than' and do it by hours or days, but it can't filter between two dates.  Here's Firestorm's filter.

image.png.37e54acb3e636526280c98e2f4796bde.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2018 at 7:55 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

But...but they SAID!

I find their statement ambiguous. I think it could support mine and your understanding. Of course I'm right... :P ...unless I'm not.

But, Klytyna makes a good point in a humorous way. I'm not sure I want all those old textures on my new body.

29 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

...I'm not sure I want all those old textures on my new body.

That's a point.  But there are times when a texture is lots better than a mesh attachment.  Try tucking your mesh top into your mesh jeans, for example.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2018 at 7:38 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Firestorm can sort by date (Most Recent) and it can do 'newer than' OR 'older than' and do it by hours or days, but it can't filter between two dates.  Here's Firestorm's filter.

image.png.37e54acb3e636526280c98e2f4796bde.png

I know, this is what I use. I wanted to know if there was a way to search by YEAR rather than days or hours. Wasn't sure if I was missing something. :)

23 minutes ago, Kassina Wylie said:

I know, this is what I use. I wanted to know if there was a way to search by YEAR rather than days or hours. Wasn't sure if I was missing something. :)

That sprecific response was in response to someone else that said they thought you could filter by two dates in Firestorm.  It was not specifically directed at you.

29 minutes ago, Kassina Wylie said:

So the short Answer is NO lol. I didn't want to have to figure out how many "Days" its been, rather by "year". I guess I'm going to have to do the math lol Thanks all! :)

Rough guess it -- approx. 30 days per month and 365 days in a year.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.