Looking For A Teacher

jrfan98

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Caledon Oxbridge University has a free Basic Scripting class, and a Scripting Office hour.   

If you have the time, and the classes fit with your in-world schedule, I would recommend taking classes from several of the in-world teaching institutions.  Different instructors will have a slightly different focus/emphasis/way of explaining things, so attending several classes on the same subject, from different places, can help round out the information you're learning.

In addition the excellent suggestions already provided, I'd suggest browsing these forums to get a feel for how people tackle scripting problems.   Then find a simple project that interests you, try to tackle it, and keep on asking for help and advice here.   That's how I got started all those years ago, and I'm still learning things from what I read here.

The problem is that most experienced scripters don't have the time to give private lessons but many of us do hang about in this forum and help people out as and when questions come up.   Similarly, you might want to join the College of Scripting's inworld group, which is very friendly and helpful to people who want to ask questions where they get stuck on a script (also it's very helpful simply to lurk and watch what questions come up, and then try to solve them yourself).    Other groups I can recommend are Scripts and Script Academy (for the sake of transparency, I'm a moderator in one and an owner of the other) .    Builders Brewery is often pretty good for scripting questions, too. 

• Like 2

Class is... IN!

1. rez a prim.

2. edit the prim, and open the "Content" tab in the edit box.

3. click the "New Script" tab.

4. open the new script in the contents.

5. change the....  llSay(0, "Touched.");..... to this ... llSay(0,  llDetectedName(0) +  "Touched me !");

6. close the edit window and touch your prim.

7. A Scripter is YOU!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Xiija said:

Class is... IN!

1. rez a prim.

2. edit the prim, and open the "Content" tab in the edit box.

3. click the "New Script" tab.

4. open the new script in the contents.

5. change the....  llSay(0, "Touched.");..... to this ... llSay(0,  llDetectedName(0) +  "Touched me !");

6. close the edit window and touch your prim.

7. A Scripter is YOU!

Hopefully no errors and it recompile’s to “running” state ?

Could also use instead of llSay:

llOwnerSay(llDetectedName(0) + “ Touched Me!”);

..Love debugging with owner messages, personally.

I can sadly no longer recommend the college in Horsa, as after the first floor it's very much a display of the owners personal agenda and beliefs.

However, everything I know from lsl, from writing hud's to learning basic practices, from dabbling in Trigonometry and Properties calls, to learning how to write my own declared functions and using states came from one place.

The Particle Lab in Teal @ http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Teal/227/53/296

Every function in LSL more or less works entirely the same way as llParticleSystem and its sister llLinkParticleSystem.

function(target, [listOfParametersYouWantToAccesOrEdit]);

Jopsy Pendragon who maintains it has provided countless examples of working and commented scripts to view, and learn from, or to use as is.

Being as you get visual feedback of whats going on from a particle system, I found it to be a great way to learn, as I could see what I was effecting, and how.

The Wiki @ http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal

is also brimming with information, some not so great, others simply Amazing.

The Script Editor in the viewer can also take you directly to it using the Help menu, Not sure on the LL viewer, but if so, you can highlight any function, hit help... and pick "keyword help..." to be given the corresponding functions wiki page, with examples and tips, it can also be used to find info for constants such as PI or RAD_TO_DEG.

Edited by Ipecac Burnham
spelling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2232 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.