You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

is it normal for Linden Labs to offer rewards for owning so many regions. we have been told that if we pay 3 months ahead of time on our tier that we will get a bonus time added to our rental tme claiming its from the fact they own over 1000 regions, im wondering if this is true because it just seems like a scam to me as they are offering the extended time to us for paying such a large sum up front.

Yes, LL does give perks/breaks to those with really large land holdings, though us peons do not know exactly what those perks/breaks are.

A rental company giving you a break on paying lots of tier/rent ahead, could be legitimate or it might not be. It could be that they are having trouble paying their own tier and are thus trying to bring in some money.  If that is the case, then said rental company might not exist in 3 months or they may drastically downsize in that time. However, they could also just be offering incentives to ensure that you will still be renting from them in 3 months.  If you pay ahead, that ensures them of a certain rental base that far down the road.

You will have to judge the trustworthiness of the company yourself.  For myself, there are very few rental overlords in SL that I would trust enough to pay 3 months worth of rent at one time.

If you are skeptical about the offer they made, then just pay what you are comfortable with. I am sure they will still take your business, you will just not qualify for their extended time offer.  

A lot of rental companies offer discounts/promos/extended time where if you rent for a certain amount of days/weeks then you will get a certain amount of days/weeks free regardless of how many regions they own. I know of very small estates out there that offer the same exact deal that does not get discounts from Linden Lab. TBH I would not be concerned about the discount they get from Linden Lab (not even sure why they would share this information with you since that is an agreement between them and Linden Lab). If you do decide to pay the large sum just make sure the extended time gets added on. If they do not grant you the extended time ONLY THEN I would call it a scam but it just seems like a promo/discount they offer.

If you are renting from a reputable estate and plan on being a long term tenant then it definitely benefits you in the long run to pay the large sum just remember if you do pay the large sum up front and they do not own up to their end that is between you and the landlord. Linden Lab will not interfere with resident to resident disputes. Again, only do what you are comfortable with. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TaylorSwift Wildrose said:

is it normal for Linden Labs to offer rewards for owning so many regions. we have been told that if we pay 3 months ahead of time on our tier that we will get a bonus time added to our rental tme claiming its from the fact they own over 1000 regions, im wondering if this is true because it just seems like a scam to me as they are offering the extended time to us for paying such a large sum up front.

I am not saying its a scam but having been caught once by a too good to be true deal I would suggest searching as much as you can about the company before taking up a deal.  Include names of owners, group bot accounts, officers, partners and anyone else you can think of in your search.    If I had done this I would have discovered previous complaints about what is a long standing and still going company.  It wasn't a fortune lost but it was enough to teach me a lesson

2 hours ago, TaylorSwift Wildrose said:

Check if their claim is true. According to http://gridsurvey.com/, there are only three estates with more than 1,000 regions: Richmond Land Management, Azure Islands (ACS) and Dreamseeker Estates. Zoha is close but not quite at 1,000 and of course the ACS estates combined have several thousand regions.

If it's one of those estates, it's a genuine offer and those are all old established names that wouldn't dare do any monkey business. If it's somebody else, you probably want to be a little bit cautious.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

I think you are being swindled. There are a lot of subtenancy schemes using the Anshe Chung rentals, a lot of the 'schemes' turn into 'scams' when the primary tenant in contact with the estate owner skips bill while you continue to pay the tenant (who pretends to be the landlord), if you pay advance then the original renter defaults, you have just lost money. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour

5 minutes ago, iamyourneighbour said:

I think you are being swindled. There are a lot of subtenancy schemes using the Anshe Chung rentals, a lot of the 'schemes' turn into 'scams' when the primary tenant in contact with the estate owner skips bill while you continue to pay the tenant (who pretends to be the landlord), if you pay advance then the original renter defaults, you have just lost money. 

Can’t you only tell/prevent this by only renting from land owners that you pay directly, after verifying they are the owner of the land?

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can’t you only tell/prevent this by only renting from land owners that you pay directly, after verifying they are the owner of the land?

I was wondering the same thing.  I think though, that if you lease an entire sim, it appears as being in your name (or your group's name) on the 'About Land'.  I could be wrong, because I haven't double checked this in-world.  Perhaps there's region level info that can be seen by a tenant/sub-tenant?  I'm not sure. 

10 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I think though, that if you lease an entire sim, it appears as being in your name (or your group's name) on the 'About Land'.  I could be wrong, because I haven't double checked this in-world.  Perhaps there's region level info that can be seen by a tenant/sub-tenant?  I'm not sure. 

Interesting. Weird if it hides the actual owner.

34 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting. Weird if it hides the actual owner.

It may only on the "About Land', but not on the Region/Estate menu option.  I wasn't sure if a tenant could see that, but I'm in-world now and am able to open Region / Estate from the menu, and see the Estate name and Estate owner (of course I'm just renting a parcel on an estate - don't know if that's different if you rent an entire region),

45 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

It may only on the "About Land', but not on the Region/Estate menu option.

That is correct. In the "About Land" ("Parcel Details" in Firestorm) you get the sim owner. In Region/Estate you get the estate owner.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

SL has its fair share of naive people. I have ran into people who say we're ready to pay ransom because someone simply sent a message saying 'I know your password' (plot twist they don't)

I have also ran into flat earthers. This one was actually pretty moderate compared to facebook flatearthers, took me a good hour to present him with right in front of your eyes kind of evidence to prove the earth is not flat. 

And there is people who believe products are really from LV because someone slapped a distorted logo of LV on their product image. 

IRL wise I have seen people with complete university degrees clicking on 'You won a prize' spam ads. 

So yeah. Tenancy fraud wouldn't be hard to pull on those kind of feeble minds. They take every word someone else says for granted.

This is not a minority of people by the way. We live in a relatively comfortable and safe world compared to the last century, and it is leaving a lot of people with unguarded mind. You don't need a lot of thinking to get far nowadays, since majority of the people out there are living like clothed monkeys. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

SL has its fair share of naive people. I have ran into people who say we're ready to pay ransom because someone simply sent a message saying 'I know your password' (plot twist they don't)

I have also ran into flat earthers. This one was actually pretty moderate compared to facebook flatearthers, took me a good hour to present him with right in front of your eyes kind of evidence to prove the earth is not flat. 

And there is people who believe products are really from LV because someone slapped a distorted logo of LV on their product image. 

IRL wise I have seen people with complete university degrees clicking on 'You won a prize' spam ads. 

So yeah. Tenancy fraud wouldn't be hard to pull on those kind of feeble minds. They take every word someone else says for granted.

This is not a minority of people by the way. We live in a relatively comfortable and safe world compared to the last century, and it is leaving a lot of people with unguarded mind. You don't need a lot of thinking to get far nowadays, since majority of the people out there are living like clothed monkeys. 

That explains why someone thought they could get away with trying to extort L$1955 from me. They probably do it all the time but I'm no idiot.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I would be wary of paying more than a month's rent unless the "company" is well known. 10 regions is the level I personally set the minimum at for paying more than 1 month, and even that isn't a guarantee really.  

There are far too many disreputable people around. Then on top of that are a whole bunch who are careless and forget to pay their tier to the Lab. And to round it off are a few who lose their jobs in real life, then lose a bunch of tenants which over-leverages them.

23 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Alt-R shows the owner of the region. My regions are all owned by my landholding alt. I do this as he has quite a bit of USD on his account to pay tier, I wouldn't want to spend that on fribbles by accident.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Plus, the map does not act like a globe. 

2 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

The world is flat though! You can measure the water at 0,0 and see it's 20 meters (in most places), then measure at 255,255 and see it's still 20 meters. 5 sims over, still 20 meters.

:ph34r::D Definitely flat. mhmm. :D:ph34r:

Looks at SL map
Mind explodes

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2253 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.