The No-Mod Rebuttal

Penny Patton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

24 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

It would be nice to have the "ignore thread" option.  Better yet, have threads started by people on your ignore list not even appear.

Yes, sometimes I want to ignore thread without ignoring the entire forum thread is in 

19 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

ETA: I really don't think that copyable furniture is particularly needed by anyone (except landlords who rent out furnished homes)

Here's where I very strongly disagree.  I bought two no copy items in that past (more than two, but I'm speaking of the two that gave me problems).  There were problems rezzing them, so I lost them.  The money I paid for them was thrown away.  I sometimes have failures in rezzing copy items I have.  But when that's the problem, I can always pull another one out.  Buying no copy is as bad a gamble as playing in skill gaming regions.  People should come to realize that, and then no copy items will not sell.  The market already seems to punish "no copy" which is why the vast majority of items are copy or at least have a copy version.  I'm glad for that.

@Madison531 I know that no-copy items can be lost through glitches. Even when ther's no glitch, they can be lost - such a sim rollback when the item hasn't been rezzed long. Mostly though, on the rare occasions when it happens - and it is rare - items lost that way won't be wasted money, because sellers will usually replace them.

Another thing is that such items were lost but not gone. All the owners needed to do was look for them. We've had threads in the forum where people have found their items after being advised what to do and where to look - inside walls and floors, for instance. I remember one occasion when somebody asked me for a replacement because his item had disappeared. I went over and found it suspended in the air about 50m from his home. He'd accidently shot it there but didn't realise it. So stuff that appears to have gone from the world, isn't always gone.

@Phil Deakins  I'd be surprised if many sellers made a practice of accepting "My item was lost, I'd like a replacement" because I can't prove a negative:  I can't prove that I lost it and am not just looking for a free copy, and any with no-copy they don't want to give a free copy or it wouldn't be no copy.

One of them eventually showed back up in Lost and Found but the other was lost, and I run area searches no matter what (and much more of course when I lost no copy items) on my parcel, just to make sure I'm not wasting prims, even on copy items I re-rezzed in case the rez I seemed to lose is just way up in the air or otherwise just hidden from my view.  I don't want spare copies just lying around my parcel and using up prims, so even with copy I look.  Sometimes I find, and sometimes not.

I doubt it's too common for people to have copies of others' items on their parcels as gifts.  From what I've seen of the controls, I can't pick who can or can't keep items on my parcel, so I have an 8 hour return set up so I again, don't waste prims if someone accidentally (or in theory on purpose) leaves something on it.  I'd want to allow it if someone were giving me free use of a copy of an item I wanted, of course; but I'd then have to open up non-return rezzing to anyone at all

Maybe it can be a group and only that group, and I guess then I could make a group just for it if I really wanted; and on thought that likely happens as there are roommates in sl, including partnered couples and for that matter I'm sure there are poly groups that share a house. 

I definitely can believe some rental property owners buy copy items and leave them in all units, and I just visited a couple of days ago someone who lived in a pre-furnished rental unit-- but if that were your only concern a limit of 5 copies would satisfy that if it were possible and you didn't think it would.  I don't think it's that common to have others' items permanently in one's owned house.  Roommates or partners live there too, so it's a different case.

Edited by Madison531
Fixing typo

3 hours ago, Madison531 said:

I'd be surprised if many sellers made a practice of accepting "My item was lost, I'd like a replacement" because I can't prove a negative:  I can't prove that I lost it and am not just looking for a free copy, and any with no-copy they don't want to give a free copy or it wouldn't be no copy.

I think you'd be surprised :) None of us can know for sure, of course. I can only talk about my own experiences and a bit of friend creators' experiences. A few thieves do take advantage, of course - very few - but I'd rather do it my way than have dozens or hundreds of pricey sexbeds all over the place when I've only been paid for a few of them.

Anecdote: I once left a 1000L sexbed set to sell for 10L. I only noticed it the next day because one guy had bought 5 of them (I'd have bought a lot more :) ). Then he came back when I was there and said that he'd bought an extra sexbed by mistake and asked if he could swap it for an 800L sex-sofabed. Cheeky monkey! lol. I told him that I knew what had happened, and he didn't get the swap.

4 hours ago, Madison531 said:

One of them eventually showed back up in Lost and Found

That makes it sound that it was your error when you rezzed it - like the person who shot a bed 50m from his place that I found for him. But you used it as an example of losing an item due to a glitch. That was unfair ;)

4 hours ago, Madison531 said:

I doubt it's too common for people to have copies of others' items on their parcels as gifts.

Maybe it's not all over the place but I'd wager that it's not rare for copyable expensive furniture to be 'shared' around. Heck, I'm sure that most people would accept it for good sexbeds that cost thousands of L$, if they were in a need of one and they were not overflowing with money. I doubt that expensive sexbeds are copyable, anyway.

9 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

That makes it sound that it was your error when you rezzed it - like the person who shot a bed 50m from his place that I found for him. But you used it as an example of losing an item due to a glitch. That was unfair ;)

I know you smiley faced it, so you accept it's not really serious, but I will say at some point I think I wrote it didn't really matter whose fault it was, that the key was that I paid for the item and never was able to make use of it (unless i'd known it was coming back to my L+F).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.