Newbie who is obsessed with her Avi!

KatieAmazing2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya! I'm obsessed at this moment with creating an avi that suits me. Female, Curvy, & Petite. I got the Classic Avi Kimberly to start and then purchased a Treasure Chest Avi bc it was inexpensive and her skin was amazing. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Treasure-Chest-Sexy-Complete-Avatar/6944725

I'm not really feeling her look/face and I've been modifying her, but am worried about clothes and accessories not fitting properly. She comes with all kinds of hair and clothes, but outside of that, I'm having trouble modifying other gorgeous outfits I see to fit her.. and her feet! omgggggg! lol Could someone direct me to steps I can take to get the avi of my dreams?!?! lol I'm looking to understand common terms and components used and steps to take to get them. Was looking at Strawberry Sighn's blog, have looked at Youtube. I'm trying to understand what mesh bodies and heads are.. and can I mix and match body parts??!?!?

11 minutes ago, KatieAmazing2 said:

Hiya! I'm obsessed at this moment with creating an avi that suits me. Female, Curvy, & Petite. I got the Classic Avi Kimberly to start and then purchased a Treasure Chest Avi bc it was inexpensive and her skin was amazing. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Treasure-Chest-Sexy-Complete-Avatar/6944725

I'm not really feeling her look/face and I've been modifying her, but am worried about clothes and accessories not fitting properly. She comes with all kinds of hair and clothes, but outside of that, I'm having trouble modifying other gorgeous outfits I see to fit her.. and her feet! omgggggg! lol Could someone direct me to steps I can take to get the avi of my dreams?!?! lol I'm looking to understand common terms and components used and steps to take to get them. Was looking at Strawberry Sighn's blog, have looked at Youtube. I'm trying to understand what mesh bodies and heads are.. and can I mix and match body parts??!?!?

Here is a good resource on what is available and the golden rule is DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO  before parting with any money :) 

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

Edited by Cindy Evanier
forgot the link because i am blonde
  • Like 1

Getting clothes to fit is not usually a big problem. Clothes are usually supplied with an alpha layer, which blanks out the body beneath the clothes, to prevent it poking through. Also look out for Fitmesh garments, which adjust to your shape.

However, most people who care about their appearance eventually move on to mesh bodies, and often to mesh heads as well. A mesh body is basically a covering for the system body from the neck down, to add smoothness and extra detail, so you get much nicer feet, hands, breasts, etc. Its shape can be adjusted in the same way as the system body, and it can be combined with the system head. They have a lot more settings, which can be controlled via a HUD, which is a control panel on the screen. A mesh head is the same idea, but from the neck up. All mesh bodies/heads have demo versions available, so you can play with them and find out which ones suit you best. Be sure that any body/head you decide on is both Bento- and Omega-compatible, for better versatility.

• Like 1

If you decide to wait on getting a mesh body, in the mean time when you shop for clothes, look for clothes that indicate they are for both classic/system bodies and mesh bodies (there are symbols for this, but I am terrible with looking for and pasting graphics).  That way, depending on which mesh body you end up with, some or maybe most of your clothes may still be wearable.

One of the reviews say: I have bought this avatar, but the shape is not as in the picture. Maybe because on the instructions is written to "go to the shop" to have the mesh body... But in which shop????? Could you help me?

Can you clarify what this means? Does the instructions mention a mesh body, and what brand?

This can clearly explain why you have awful feet. The avatar you bought look like only the breasts and standard classic skin, from what I can read. If so, you have wasted your money, because mesh bodies all have beautiful breasts.

I do see some who add on breasts to other brands and well, them on that. They will have so much trouble finding clothes, I don't understand why some will do it.

14 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

HUDs (Heads Up Display) are controls that attach to the screen. 

Yes, they are used for so many things. They can be used to change color on hair, clothes and accessories, to change skin on mesh avatars, heads and separate parts of the body. This is brand and item specific. Let us say you buy a hair from Exile that is sold in the blondes pack. The HUD has 5 shades of blond hair. You can not use the HUD from Exile on Truth hair.  The HUD for the hair work on that hair pack only, and not even on other Exile hairs.

One of the brands I buy from sell the options for a mesh body (Maitreya) to have: Freckles/No freckles, 3 different cleavages, and 4 pubic hair options, shaved, light, dark and red hair.

The HUD for this is like a poster on the screen, with various buttons to press to make the changes. The buttons have images that show what you change, like three different cleavage images and 4 pubic hair images.

So when you buy, not only think of the body, but also, who makes most clothes and skins for it? Read this thread:

It looks a lot as if you have wasted your L$ on rubbish which you might have easily found in so-called freebie dungeons for free.

All the hair on the "store" items are rips from anno 2007 or so, mostly old Magicka hair, most of the skins look like Redgrave rips and the breasts are probably ripped Lola Tangos or something along those lines.

Since you mentioned Strawberry Singh's blog, may I assume that you also checked her "Introduction to SL" tutorial with links to further resources for new users. Some proper shops do offer gifts for those under 30 days old, like a nice skin set from Pink Fuel and eyes, I believe, from Izzie's. 

As it has been said, demo demo demo! And try to stay away from impulse shopping, especially for more pricy items like a mesh body and/or head. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

One of the reviews say: I have bought this avatar, but the shape is not as in the picture. Maybe because on the instructions is written to "go to the shop" to have the mesh body... But in which shop????? Could you help me?

Can you clarify what this means? Does the instructions mention a mesh body, and what brand?

This can clearly explain why you have awful feet. The avatar you bought look like only the breasts and standard classic skin, from what I can read. If so, you have wasted your money, because mesh bodies all have beautiful breasts.

I do see some who add on breasts to other brands and well, them on that. They will have so much trouble finding clothes, I don't understand why some will do it.

A couple of reviews later and it is apparent the body is the free mesh project body

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.