LL is sitting on a gold mine

BilliJo Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We appear to have more than one explanation of when LL sells mainland parcels. I don't know, but I guess that the newest one, BilliJo's, is the correct one - goes to auction when someone asks to buy it, unless there's a reason to sell it directly to the user, such as him/her owning land on 3 sides of the parcel. I do have a vague recollection of seeing abandoned land being put up for sale at 1L per sqm. though.

Edited by Phil Deakins

32 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yes, they are paying customers.. they are paying $195 dollars a month in tier. If they go one day over their renewal date,  they will owe another $195 dollars. If it takes 6 months to sell, thats 1200 US  dollars waiting to find a buyer. If  I was done with owning a full sim, I'd just turn it back to Linden Lab.

That doesn't work though. If the sim owner had bought it for 16L, then it would work, but all current mainland owners paid non-1L prices, and it's those who would have the real money they paid declared valueless. Those are the ones I mean. There would be uproar.

What happens when wanting to sell a mainland sim is irrelevant to this discussion. Nobody would would sit on one, paying tier for months, while hoping it sold. I wouldn't. I'd split it and try to sell it in small parcels. Even if the split small parcels didn't sell, it wouldn't make any difference. What you are proposing is devaluing the land to virtually zero, anyway. Nobody waits for months to sell a sim they no longer want.

Your suggestion would have worked very well indeed if it had been like that from the beginning, but, unfortunately, it wasn't.

Edited by Phil Deakins

2 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

Do you mean selling land in the auction with a starting price of 1L per sqm.? If that's what you mean, don't they do it now?

ETA: Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing any purple-coloured land for a long time.

The starting bid for land auctions is as low as 0.5 L$ per sqm. There are 30 parcel up for auction right now and I think they keep it steady on that number.

39 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

We appear to have more than one explanation of when LL sells mainland parcels. I don't know, but I guess that the newest one, BilliJo's, is the correct one - goes to auction when someone asks to buy it, unless there's a reason to sell it directly to the user, such as him/her owning land on 3 sides of the parcel. I do have a vague recollection of seeing abandoned land being put up for sale at 1L per sqm. though.

Read all the details here:

Edited by ChinRey

48 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

That doesn't work though. If the sim owner had bought it for 16L, then it would work, but all current mainland owners paid non-1L prices, and it's those who would have the real money they paid declared valueless. Those are the ones I mean. There would be uproar.

What happens when wanting to sell a mainland sim is irrelevant to this discussion. Nobody would would sit on one, paying tier for months, while hoping it sold. I wouldn't. I'd split it and try to sell it in small parcels. Even if the split small parcels didn't sell, it wouldn't make any difference. What you are proposing is devaluing the land to virtually zero, anyway. Nobody waits for months to sell a sim they no longer want.

Your suggestion would have worked very well indeed if it had been like that from the beginning, but, unfortunately, it wasn't.

Yes but if it takes 6 months to sell, you've paid 1200 dollars. Every month it costs you another 200 dollars. You'll never get the 1200 dollars back you spent waiting for a buyer.

When do you cut your losses and ditch the land? I've done the same for small parcels i want to get rid of before my tier is due.

27 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The starting bid for land auctions is as low as 0.5 L$ per sqm. There are 30 parcel up for auction right now and I think they keep it steady on that number.

Land is always set for auction at 0.5 L per m. If its not desirable you will get it for that price, but being beside protected land will see it bid way up, which is fine. I've won land auctions at the starting bid, the trick is to find something a land flipper won't be interested in holding.

I've also won bids on parcels beside protected land, you just gotta outbid the flippers.

51 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Nowadays all abandoned mainland is either sold through auctions, or directly if the person what asks for purchase has a very strong case to buy the land.

It wasn't always this way.

A few years ago (4?5?) ALL abandoned land was set for sale automatically, at 1 L$/sqm. What happened was, that all mainland plot prices plummeted, and only those adjacent to a significant feature, like protected water, held any value. Then LL stopped putting up mainland for sale automatically.

As for " Nobody would sit on one, paying tier for months, hoping it sold" - yes they do.  I don't think i'm allowed to tell you why and how, but they do. Also LOTS of mainland owners paid no more than 1 L$/sqm for land, actually the prices were even cheaper, in order to sell a plot you had to go as low as 0.2 L$/sqm, and then some landbot would take it. Land did indeed sit abandoned for months, years even, and set for sale!

There are still people sitting on land they didn't pay for to buy at all. " First land" was long ago given by LL for free, but i forgot how many sqm that was. I missed out anyhow.

2 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yes but if it takes 6 months to sell, you've paid 1200 dollars. Every month it costs you another 200 dollars. You'll never get the 1200 dollars back you spent waiting for a buyer.

When do you cut your losses and ditch the land? I've done the same for small parcels i want to get rid of before my tier is due.

But nobody would pay tier for 6 months while waiting, so nobody would lose $1200.

Personally, I'd advertise the sim here in the forum and, if there were no takers in a week or so, I'd cut it and advertise again in the forum. What didn't sell, I'd abandon. I certainly wouldn't pay an extra month's tier in the hope of a sale or sales.

2 hours ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

Nowadays all abandoned mainland is either sold through auctions, or directly if the person what asks for purchase has a very strong case to buy the land.

It wasn't always this way.

A few years ago (4?5?) ALL abandoned land was set for sale automatically, at 1 L$/sqm. What happened was, that all mainland plot prices plummeted, and only those adjacent to a significant feature, like protected water, held any value. Then LL stopped putting up mainland for sale automatically.

Thank you. That clears it up.

As for " Nobody would sit on one, paying tier for months, hoping it sold" - yes they do.  I don't think i'm allowed to tell you why and how, but they do.

Not unless they are in the land business, and we're not talking about those people. We're only talking about rehular land owners.

Also LOTS of mainland owners paid no more than 1 L$/sqm for land, actually the prices were even cheaper, in order to sell a plot you had to go as low as 0.2 L$/sqm, and then some landbot would take it. Land did indeed sit abandoned for months, years even, and set for sale!

I remember that.

There are still people sitting on land they didn't pay for to buy at all. " First land" was long ago given by LL for free, but i forgot how many sqm that was. I missed out anyhow.

I missed it too, but I can tell you that it was 512 sqm.

30 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

The problem I have with abandoned land is with a parcel I tried to buy when it was abandoned. I owned a 512 surrounded by this parcel when I asked to buy it, they joined it to most of the rest of the region and set it for sale but I didn't want the whole region so I just didn't bother buying it

I had a 4096. i asked them to carve out a part of the abandoned land and make another 4096 for me, they did and sold it to me directly, but its wasn't a usable 4096, it just wrapped around my parcel so i got a direct sale.

I've had satisfactory dealing with LL employees many times over buying mainland.

4 hours ago, Lexbot Sinister said:

As for " Nobody would sit on one, paying tier for months, hoping it sold" - yes they do.  I don't think i'm allowed to tell you why and how, but they do.

I'm really wondering how to interpret that. Are you implying that the big land flippers have some special deal that allows them to sit on all those parcels for ages without going broke?

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I had a 4096. i asked them to carve out a part of the abandoned land and make another 4096 for me, they did and sold it to me directly, but its wasn't a usable 4096, it just wrapped around my parcel so i got a direct sale.

I've had satisfactory dealing with LL employees many times over buying mainland.

Yeah most people say this, I guess I just had a bad experience. The parcel was already separated in the exact shape and size I wanted and that is all I asked for so not sure why they joined it but after that I just did not want to bother asking again.

4 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

Yeah most people say this, I guess I just had a bad experience. The parcel was already separated in the exact shape and size I wanted and that is all I asked for so not sure why they joined it but after that I just did not want to bother asking again.

Its possible they joined it before they were notified of your desire to buy it. If its still there, I'd submit another support ticket asking them to cut you off a piece.

Sometimes LL employees just  go around combining abandoned parcels, not sure why.

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its possible they joined it before they were notified of your desire to buy it. If its still there, I'd submit another support ticket asking them to cut you off a piece.

Sometimes LL employees just  go around combining abandoned parcels, not sure why.

I doubt that, the parcel was abandoned for a long time and it was only joined when I asked for it. Anyway I don't want the parcel anymore. It's been too long and the memory has faded too much for me to spend more money preserving the area.

3 minutes ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

I doubt that, the parcel was abandoned for a long time and it was only joined when I asked for it. Anyway I don't want the parcel anymore. It's been too long and the memory has faded too much for me to spend more money preserving the area.

Did they send u an e-mail saying they were setting it to auction? If you asked to buy the parcel you should have gotten a reply saying they would sell it to you, or set it to auction.

If they never contacted you, they never got your request

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added a line

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Did they send u an e-mail saying they were setting it to auction? If you asked to buy the parcel you should have gotten a reply saying they would sell it to you, or set it to auction.

If they never contacted you, they never got your request

I got an email saying they would sell it to me and it was for sale in world to me for L$1/m

Here is a thread discussing the disadvantages that resulted during the time when abandoned land was automatically set for sale at 1L per sqm.  To lend a little historical perspective on the subject, it's been tried before and didn't work.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Thanks 2

It seems, to me, if LL was really concerned about not getting paid tier monthly for currently abandoned mainland, that they would increase the number of parcels that are set for auction.  

I have, in the past, put in a request to buy abandoned parcels that were either next to one I already owned, or on the same sim.  A couple were just set to sale directly to me, and a couple others they put up on auction because they were roadside parcels.  I watched the auctions closely, and was able to come out the top bidder without paying an amount I felt was too high. I needed to drop a tier level this summer, so I sold off about half of what I had on the sim.  I think they all sold within a few weeks or a month.  Most were put up for sale by the new owners, and all but one have sold.  

I originally put all my land up for sale, and was going to move to an island parcel - which I did for a few weeks, but couldn't find a place that I liked well enough to stay.  I cancelled the sale on my original parcel (which I had set at a slightly higher sale price) and moved back. It's kind of bittersweet though.  I wish I had been able to keep it all and not have new neighbors.  I had toyed with the thought of just abandoning the parcels, but I didn't want to increase the amount of abandoned land, and the extra lindens from the sales did come in handy :)

It is possible to find reasonable priced land, you just need to spend some time looking for it.  When I was buying land, I generally just used the map with the option for showing parcels for sale checked.   

3 hours ago, Hintswen Guardian said:

I got an email saying they would sell it to me and it was for sale in world to me for L$1/m

I had the same experience once. I asked to buy one fairly small parcel in Keswick which at that time was half abandoned. I also mentioned that I *might* be itnerested in the other abandoned parcels there. Next morning I found almost half the sim had been merged intoa single parcel and set up for sale to me. I did actually buy and with hindsight I'm glad I did in that particular case. I don't think I would do it again though.

All in all, my experiences with LL Land have been rather mixed but I have to say they are always trying to help. The biggest problems are actually when they try too hard and start second guessing.

42 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

I not sure how much abandoned land there is but LL need to look at retaining the existing landowners and either reduce the Tier prices or give more land for the same price, as it stands global recession is having to make choices on what to cut down and what is a necessity or not in life.

Interesting ... what planet is that on? Not this one.

Edited by Parhelion Palou
Missed a highlight -- 3 AM my time
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.