Marketplace: search without demos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, I hope this topic is appropriate here...  I just want to share something I discovered. :)

I am relatively new in this incarnation and don't have much (or any) Lindens at the moment.  I'd like to find free stuff in Marketplace but when I do so I am spammed by a ba-zillion demos.  I found that I CAN do this in marketplace by using the same syntax as in Google searches.  

For example, if i search in Marketplace for 'Gifts' and then sort them by price, lowest to highest.  I get spammed by a ba-zillion demos.  However, if I change my search to 'Gifts NOT demos' (the capital letters are important), then i get rid of the demo spam.  (Some still do sneak in but this gets rid of most )

Happy shopping!!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

This is a huge problem...too bad it is ignored.  There is no way to filter them out since sellers find a way to get them included in search no matter what you do...I would like to be able to block sellers who take advantage in this way and in other ways...This is not fair to the sellers who are ethical and fair...because there is not doubt people give up and stop looking. I do not understand why this problem is ignored..This post is two years old and still nothing is done...

• Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 7:38 AM, AaronProphet said:

Hi everyone, I hope this topic is appropriate here...  I just want to share something I discovered. :)

I am relatively new in this incarnation and don't have much (or any) Lindens at the moment.  I'd like to find free stuff in Marketplace but when I do so I am spammed by a ba-zillion demos.  I found that I CAN do this in marketplace by using the same syntax as in Google searches.  

For example, if i search in Marketplace for 'Gifts' and then sort them by price, lowest to highest.  I get spammed by a ba-zillion demos.  However, if I change my search to 'Gifts NOT demos' (the capital letters are important), then i get rid of the demo spam.  (Some still do sneak in but this gets rid of most )

Happy shopping!!

Most demos are no copy/no mod in my experience so I make liberal use of those two filters to eliminate all demos and gachas.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 7:38 AM, AaronProphet said:

Happy shopping!!

You have AND, OR, and NOT, (in that order). So you could search for green OR blue AND sunglasses AND mesh NOT demo - should get you all the blue and green mesh sunglasses without demos. You can also use quotes if you know the specific name: "Red Super Sunglasses" - will only return anything with that exact name in the product title, keywords, description, or feature list.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AllaTwitter said:

[…] This post is two years old and still nothing is done...

The NOT operator has already been mentioned in this thread. In the original two year old post, actually. Which explained how to eliminate most demos from a marketplace search. Two years ago. And I'm pretty sure it was around for while before that.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it doesn't help when you also have to exclude D E M O and d*e*m*o and d.e.m.o and DEM0 and "trial version" and all the other ways that sellers try to get round it.

I've just stopped searching for anything less than L$2.

Edited by Lewis Luminos

2 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Unfortunately it doesn't help when you also have to exclude D E M O and d*e*m*o and d.e.m.o and DEM0 and "trial version" and all the other ways that sellers try to get round it.

I've just stopped searching for anything less than L$2.

I've recently had to weed out a lot of demos for full perm mesh. As much as I dislike having to set the $ amount filters, I found that 1L usually weeds all the demos out. Sometimes I have to use the copy/mod filters to get them all.

I've seen some demos that the creator charges for, but it's usually just one or two creators in the category. When one person is filling up the page with paid demos then adding "NOT [least common word in the store or creator name]" filters that out too.

That's one of my peeves on the markeplace - demos that aren't free. I can't think of any good reasons to do it except the demo being an actual usable product with reduced permissions or some other major simplification. For something like clothes, someone would have to sell a lot of $1L demos to make up for even one would-be buyer turned off by paying to look at the item.

• Like 2

I would like to have it on Marketplace that besides No Copy, No Mod, No Transfer, they add DEMO.  That way you can clean up the Marketplace and get rid of it when you try to search for something free you don't get half the fake things that aren't demo, but the designers put that in there so that it brings it up.  It is rather annoying when I could care less about Demo's on Marketplace.  Leave Demo's for the store when you visit them.  Otherwise, the word Demo in some instances is misleading and with so many pages to go through, gets rather annoying.

I agree, I also find where people put Gift, or they put Demo, and then they aren't free.  I think after 11 years, it is time to start cleaning up the Marketplace to represent Second Life properly.

Thank you and Blessings.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:26 AM, KT Kingsley said:

The NOT operator has already been mentioned in this thread. In the original two year old post, actually. Which explained how to eliminate most demos from a marketplace search. Two years ago. And I'm pretty sure it was around for while before that.

Stop wagging your finger at people like some greater-than-thou type and actually provide some useful input. I scold myself for scolding you and doing the same. Let's go get a beer and chill because you apparently need it. ~snorts~

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xvxRUBYxvx Praga said:

I would like to have it on Marketplace that besides No Copy, No Mod, No Transfer, they add DEMO.  That way you can clean up the Marketplace and get rid of it when you try to search for something free you don't get half the fake things that aren't demo, but the designers put that in there so that it brings it up.  It is rather annoying when I could care less about Demo's on Marketplace.  Leave Demo's for the store when you visit them.  Otherwise, the word Demo in some instances is misleading and with so many pages to go through, gets rather annoying.

I agree, I also find where people put Gift, or they put Demo, and then they aren't free.  I think after 11 years, it is time to start cleaning up the Marketplace to represent Second Life properly.

Thank you and Blessings.

I believe it's been requested many, many times and I agree. It would be great to have a "hidden" or "invisible" listing for demos that are accessed from the retail listing; not being just another separate listing that appears in search, etc. There have been no official announcements or comments, though I'm almost willing to bet they are investigating a way to do this because it is clear that Market Place is a priority and they have been enhancing it a lot over the last few months.

Edited by Alyona Su

You can use Google Advanced Search to your advantage here and construct something like this  (in this example I'm looking for a mesh skirt)

1457595441_Googlesearch1.png.9ef929347e910c4ca47309d1c73ff507.png

perhaps using the Advanced Search tool  https://www.google.com/advanced_search  to construct the query if you're not familiar with Google's search terms

206827972_Googlesearch2.thumb.png.f366ead5792e7c224604f7e7817fbb13.png

with the following results:

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=mesh+skirt&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=demo&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=https%3A%2F%2Fmarketplace.secondlife.com&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Personally I think LL should create and enforce this policy:

1. Any demo must be listed as L$0.
  2. Any demo must have a parent listing of the full version.
  3. Limit one demo per product, not one per variation. (Don't create 500 copies of the demo if there are multiple sizes/colours. Put all the colours and sizes in one demo listing and link the demo in the parent listings)
  4. Demos must not shout/say any advertisements in-world.

Then create a thing that allows delisting of demos from search, preferably by default, like so:

image.png.0718a085d7bc1125ebc287ecd5d85af9.png

Ignore the poor placement, this was done in 1 minute.

Also anything listed as a "gift" or "freebie" must be listed as L$0.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:
  • Any demo must have a parent listing of the full version.
  • Limit one demo per product, not one per variation. (Don't create 500 copies of the demo if there are multiple sizes/colours. Put all the colours and sizes in one demo listing and link the demo in the parent listings)

These are already covered as far as I know, definitely the first point at least.

Non-item listing includes: "Creating Demo Product Listings without linking the Demo to the Full Version of the product."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.