latency help required

UmbraTherios

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I just joined SL and I instantly have problems with it. I have no idea how to see the Latency/ping of SL since it doesnt seem to have settings, but I have such a high ping that If I walk it takes a full 3 seconds to start walking and when I do walk, I don't stop and end up Teleporting around and shooting through walls and even the floor.

Is there a way I can change my server so I can even get SL playable? Are there settings?

Thanks for any help.

Prest Ctrl + Shift + 1 to see statistics -- for PC anyway, it might be different for MAC.

Also, in the viewer, if you select Help / About from the viewer and paste the info here, we might be able to help tune settings a bit.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Prest Ctrl + Shift + 1 to see statistics -- for PC anyway, it might be different for MAC.

Also, in the viewer, if you select Help / About from the viewer and paste the info here, we might be able to help tune settings a bit.

Ah, thank you, I'll do so just after downloading the update :)

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

There is no help or about button in the stats window. it does show that my Ping shoots up and down between 700 and 1500 though

I can litterally do nothing In SL. in other games I have a ping of 100, but somehow in SL I have a ping of 700 and upwards.

Edited by UmbraTherios

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sorry - the Help / About is on the main menu at the top of your screen in the viewer, not within the Statistics window itself.

You mean this? Note I set my preferences to the absolute minimum even though My fps is great even at the best settings.

Second Life 5.0.5.326444 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (3292.41 MHz)
Memory: 7335 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.0013.5362
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.62

Window size: 1440x838
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 64m
Bandwidth: 100kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 0 / 7
Advanced Lighting Model: Disabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: May 29 2017 14:24:44

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
May 29 2017 14:34:22

8 hours ago, UmbraTherios said:

I can litterally do nothing In SL. in other games I have a ping of 100, but somehow in SL I have a ping of 700 and upwards.

How much ping time you should expect depends on where in the world you live, that is how far the signals between your computer and the server have to travel.

700 is way too much though, even in the most remote corner of the real world, you should be able to get it below 400.

Does your computer have a firewall? That is the most common cause of excessive ping time. You need to set it up to exclude the SL viewer you use and also the slplugin.exe.

8 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

How much ping time you should expect depends on where in the world you live, that is how far the signals between your computer and the server have to travel.

700 is way too much though, even in the most remote corner of the real world, you should be able to get it below 400.

Does your computer have a firewall? That is the most common cause of excessive ping time. You need to set it up to exclude the SL viewer you use and also the slplugin.exe.

Exactly, lol. I'm in south africa, and despite the.... VERY bad service we have here, I easily hit 180 -210 on any other online game.

53 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

yes i agree it's high, but high ping doesn't mean automaticly a bad connection.. and thát is most important.

With a high ping you  still can have a acceptable SL experience.

A instable connection however will even with a pingtime of 1 ms, be a misery.

What i see at the specs, a bw of 100 ...thats seriously low, is your subscription to the isp really that?... if not, try raise that.

14 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes i agree it's high, but high ping doesn't mean automaticly a bad connection.. and thát is most important.

With a high ping you  still can have a acceptable SL experience.

A instable connection however will even with a pingtime of 1 ms, be a misery.

What i see at the specs, a bw of 100 ...thats seriously low, is your subscription to the isp really that?... if not, try raise that.

We tried raising the BW two years ago but our provider refused. not only that but south africa has some of the highest internet prices in the world, so even with a decent pay, its not like anyone here can afford anything beyond a 100 kbs

6 minutes ago, UmbraTherios said:

We tried raising the BW two years ago but our provider refused. not only that but south africa has some of the highest internet prices in the world, so even with a decent pay, its not like anyone here can afford anything beyond a 100 kbs

i think with such low spec connection it will not be possible to get a good sl experience.

It might be worth the try, to see if brightcanopy.com can be a solution.. but that's a paid service...

On 29 May 2017 at 11:36 PM, UmbraTherios said:

You mean this? Note I set my preferences to the absolute minimum even though My fps is great even at the best settings.

Second Life 5.0.5.326444 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3260 @ 3.30GHz (3292.41 MHz)
Memory: 7335 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 10.18.0013.5362
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 353.62

Window size: 1440x838
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 64m
Bandwidth: 100kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 0 / 7
Advanced Lighting Model: Disabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: May 29 2017 14:24:44

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
May 29 2017 14:34:22

Damn, your settings are lower than mine and you're running a much faster and more powerful machine...

I'd suggest raising your viewer bandwidth setting to 500 kb instead of 100, the massive ping time might be due to you cholking the client/server connection to death with that low setting :)   

18 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Damn, your settings are lower than mine and you're running a much faster and more powerful machine...

I'd suggest raising your viewer bandwidth setting to 500 kb instead of 100, the massive ping time might be due to you cholking the client/server connection to death with that low setting :)   

Heh, yeah... Here's the thing though... I set my settings to 500 but the maximum bandwidth I've seen my network ever reach was about 150 kbs. Which is kinda depressing... We are going to move somewhere else soon so maybe once that's done we can actually get a better network offer. Thanks for the help though :)

23 hours ago, UmbraTherios said:

Heh, yeah... Here's the thing though... I set my settings to 500 but the maximum bandwidth I've seen my network ever reach was about 150 kbs. Which is kinda depressing... We are going to move somewhere else soon so maybe once that's done we can actually get a better network offer. Thanks for the help though :)

Well, if you have bad bandwidth on your isp, that's beyond our help or control, but as for sl settings, you can certainly set the viewer bandwidth to 500, turn on advanced lighting, and while it will still be laggy, at least when standing still, things will look better!

1 hour ago, Klytyna said:

Well, if you have bad bandwidth on your isp, that's beyond our help or control, but as for sl settings, you can certainly set the viewer bandwidth to 500, turn on advanced lighting, and while it will still be laggy, at least when standing still, things will look better!

I know. I just find it funny that with every other game I play my packet loss is 1 percent and ping is 210 but on SL the packet loss is 40 percent and ping is 900 average. that's really fishy.

I know. I just find it funny that with every other game I play my packet loss is 1 percent and ping is 210 but on SL the packet loss is 40 percent and ping is 900 average. that's really fishy.

Most games are 10-20GB downloads and then all the assets are grabbed from your disk, all that goes over the network is a tiny amount of positional data.

In SL *everything* comes over the internet. The objects, the graphics, the animations, the sounds, the shape of the land, the movements of other people are all flooding your internet connection.

It's a lot of data, a few GB per day.

So, why is ping high? The ping packet waits for it's turn. There are other downloads happening first.

So, why does the ping jump around? Sometimes there is a lot of new data in the queue before it, sometimes not.

So, why is packet loss high? There is still a lot of UDP data, if your computer is slow in getting the stuff queued up for it then UDP can be lost.

Edited by Callum Meriman

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

Most games are 10-20GB downloads and then all the assets are grabbed from your disk, all that goes over the network is a tiny amount of positional data.

In SL *everything* comes over the internet. The objects, the graphics, the animations, the sounds, the shape of the land, the movements of other people are all flooding your internet connection.

It's a lot of data, a few GB per day.

So, why is ping high? The ping packet waits for it's turn. There are other downloads happening first.

So, why does the ping jump around? Sometimes there is a lot of new data in the queue before it, sometimes not.

So, why is packet loss high? There is still a lot of UDP data, if your computer is slow in getting the stuff queued up for it then UDP can be lost.

I know what you mean but I doubt they are a factor because I already figured that out and compensated for it. I stood still, went to go eat something and came back half an hour later. the ping dropped from 1500 to 600. everything was downloaded and the server had only one or two people on it so I know its not entirely my network's fault, nor is it my pc's fault at all.

Like I said. I play online a lot from a lot of different games, even games that download things while playing and none of them are this bad so my pc is fine.

1 hour ago, UmbraTherios said:

everything was downloaded and the server had only one or two people on it

You can't know that, SL doesn't have one server for each sim. I think there is one virtual server for each four full sims although they may have changed that ratio since last I checked. In any case, the number of people logged on to the server shouldn't matter.

1 hour ago, UmbraTherios said:

so I know its not entirely my network's fault, nor is it my pc's fault at all.

Try a speed test to the Oookla server at Tuscon:

http://tucson.speedtest.net/ (click on the "Your preferred server button). Tuscon is the Ookla server closest to the SL servers and it should give a fairly good indication whether there are any problems in the connection lines between your computers and SL.

On 6.6.2017 at 4:28 PM, UmbraTherios said:

Heh, yeah... Here's the thing though... I set my settings to 500 but the maximum bandwidth I've seen my network ever reach was about 150 kbs. Which is kinda depressing...

:o

Bandwidth is usually measured in megabits per second, not kilobits, so yes, that must be rather depressing.

Even so, try to increase the max bandwidth to the recommended value (1500 kps) and see what happens. You got nothing to loose, if it increases the lag, you can just reduce it again.

the ping dropped from 1500 to 600. everything was downloaded and the server had only one or two people on it so I know its not entirely my network's fault, nor is it my pc's fault at all.

SL never stops talking. There is still alot of positional data coming to you, capability channels. Voice if you have it active.

600 still shows there is a bottleneck, a queue, before the ping can get out of your PC and to the server, and back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2514 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.